PDA

View Full Version : How do you snuggle?

carebear
09-15-2004, 09:26 AM
:evil: Lol...ok...it's not an Xrated thread..honest!

Just wondering how you do the "snuggle" part of a bracelet or necklace...the final end part where you snug all the beads together..the final crimp in place..the clasp in place and then the dramatic moment when you crimp ....and find out that the bracelet has a little gap in it leaving wire showing...

does this happen to anyone else?

i made a great bracelet yesterday, I tugged and pulled on that thread ...everything looked so nice and tight, but at the end of it all I ended up with about 1/4" of bare wire showing

whats your technique for snuggling?

carrie

LLane
09-15-2004, 09:43 AM
Carrie.... when finishing a bracelet, I used to bring the beadalon thru the toggle and crimp tube .... then through a couple more beads..then crimp. I thought it would somehow be better not to cut the beadalon right at the crimp. But that is what allowed my beads to sometimes wiggle loose before I crimped them. Kate McKinnon's book and instructions explain that cutting the wire right at the crimp is just as secure and when doing this, it is much easier to give the beadalon the proper tug to keep it at your desired tension. ??? When the beadalon comes through the crimp.... I grasp the loose end with the needle nose pliers....... hold the crimp tube lightly with the crimper and pull the wire until I have the desired tension...... then crimp. Kate also instructs that bracelets do need to have some move to them... if they are too tight they will not flow as nicely and the beading wire will wear out quicker. A nice sharp pair of cutters with a tiny point is important to have to make a clean cut on the wire. The other advantage to this method is that it is much easier to get the wire on either side of the crimp so that it is secure. Clear as mud???? :D

Good luck.... let us know how you do.
Lois

McDuck
09-15-2004, 09:55 AM
I answered some in the WIA thread today, but make sure you coil the piece you are working on. it allows the beads to be in a more natural state to be worn and you shouldnt have any gaps in it. I also put a small bead between the crimp and toggle to absorb the tension: crimp - small bead - toggle- small bead crimp. it really helps on the wear and tear. you can also put a large holed bead in to cover the crimp.

-Mary

Andee
09-15-2004, 10:04 AM
Carrie - I put the wire through the crimp bead, *, through the loop of the toggle/clasp/whatever, *, and back through the crimp bead and as many of the beads below as possible. The I pull REALLY hard while I have the bracelet/necklace hanging, so all beads will be tight in place before I crimp... Works for me! As for the *: I didn't use an extra bead between crimp bead and clasp, but I started doing so for some of my projects. I never had any troubles not using it, tho!

Charlee
09-15-2004, 12:38 PM
I talked about this too in the S&T thread. I use 2mm sterling rounds below my crimps to take some of the wear off the wire. I thread it this way: 2mm round, crimp, jump ring, back thru the crimp and down thru a few beads. Then I use pliers to make the loop the right size and get the tension right, then I crimp the crimp tube and cut the wire. Sometimes I cover the crimp with a large hole bead, which is one reason I make the loop on a jump ring - so I can remove the jump ring, put the big hole bead on, then put the jump ring back, attaching the toggle/clasp. I use the fattest, smallest Urban Maille jump ring that will work and so far (knock wood), no wire has slipped thru.

Hope this is helpful!!

carebear
09-15-2004, 05:17 PM
oh hey, great advice!
I too just started putting a bead between toggle and crimp, (after reading what Kate said about it on this board) and the jump ring idea is a good one too...well, heck, they're all great ideas! I can't wait to bead some more tomorrow night so I can experiment with them..

I appreciate the information and your time! :angel:

Carrie