PDA

View Full Version : First time posting wip

Nancy Leone
09-14-2004, 08:26 PM
Hi all, I practiced posting on the new user channel (successfully, to my amazement) so here goes. For someone that gets embarassed when 1 person looks over my shoulder when I'm painting this is pretty intimidating. :o I've seen what great work so many of you do. This wip is from an old photo I took in Italy. It's 18x24 (about) on mat board. I'm pretty new at pastels but just signed up for an Albert Handell workshop in October...so better get practicing! Would greatly appreciate all C&C. Thanks, Nancy

Artistammy
09-14-2004, 08:37 PM
Welcome! This doesn't look like you're too new to pastels. I hope you enjoy the forum as much as I do.

Khadres
09-14-2004, 09:10 PM
Wow! This doesn't look "beginner" to me either! Love the dusty colors and that palm tree especially! Not sure you meant the buildings to lean right, but maybe you did. The boats are well done, as well! Welcome to the forum and keep 'em coming! You'll fit right in!

Deborah Secor
09-14-2004, 09:16 PM
Nancy, so glad you've decided to join us! Don't ever be embarrassed to show work--how else do we learn?! I know it can be hard, though. ;)

I really like this painting. You've designed it using some interesting and unusual shapes, and the muted palette really compliments it. The colors give it a European flavor. I wonder, did you rough up the surface of the matboard with sandpaper before painting this or not? I know folks do that sometimes... Matboard can be sort of slick for pastels.

I worked with Albert Handell for a number of years. He's really THE Master. I suggest you try some Wallis sandpaper, if you haven't already. Handell favors it. PM Kitty and she'll send you a sample. In fact I heard she has a thread in her forum showing some examples of the paintings folks have done on the samples.

We have a lot of fun here... :D Hope we see more of you and your work!

Deborah

Lisa Olivarez
09-14-2004, 10:01 PM
Welcome Nancy! Nice painting. I agree with Deborah, the colors do look European. They're nice and soft, muted and rich. That was the first thing I noticed when I visited once upon a time.

Since you wanted input, I would echo Sooz in asking whether you meant to have the buildings lean? Technically, all vertical lines/edges of buildings would be perpendicular to the ground. I like the composition the way it is, though. I'm sure you could find some excuse for leaving them!

Great job! Keep posting, Lisa :clap:

Kathryn Wilson
09-14-2004, 11:32 PM
Welcome Nancy! So glad you got brave and posted - we really are a good bunch of people here and love to encourage newbies.

Hope to see you back here often!

khourianya
09-14-2004, 11:38 PM
hello and welcome! This piece is really pretty! I love your colour choices. it makes me want to head right over to italy and do some painting.

I'm relatively new here too - only been working with pastels for about a month...but I'm already addicted beyond hope! :D The people here give some great advice and we have a zillion pros in our midst. it can be a bit intimidating at first, but everyone is so nice, you quickly get over that!

Have fun at the workshop! I am so jealous!

Nancy Leone
09-15-2004, 06:07 PM
Thanks all for the warm welcome.
Sooz and Lisa, Thanks for the helpful input. I'm not good at those straight lines. Lisa, how did you know I was already devising excuses for the leaning? Let's see, leading the eye to the palm tree....don't all those old Italian buildings lean to the right?...etc. Don't quite know how to prop up the buildings. Maybe, start a new piece and work on perspective.
Deborah, No, didn't use sandpaper on the mat board but will have to try it sometime. I did pm Kitty and look forward to trying her paper. So happy to here the rave revue of Handell. Pretty pricey workshop for the likes of me but I'm really excited and anxious to learn.
So enjoying Wet Canvas. Thanks again. Nancy

Lisa Olivarez
09-15-2004, 07:13 PM
Thanks all for the warm welcome.
Sooz and Lisa, Thanks for the helpful input. I'm not good at those straight lines. Lisa, how did you know I was already devising excuses for the leaning? Let's see, leading the eye to the palm tree....don't all those old Italian buildings lean to the right?...etc. Don't quite know how to prop up the buildings. Maybe, start a new piece and work on perspective.
Nancy

Hmmmm, maybe it's a commentary on the state of the world. You know, everything looks sunny and happy on the surface, but underlying it all is this terrible violence. :evil: :D Nahh, that's too pessimistic, better just try again! LIsa

bnoonan
09-15-2004, 07:23 PM
Oh Nancy - I like this a lot. If this were mine... I'd run a really brilliant single stroke of a turquoise blue pastel (soft) over that painted stripe on the boat and call it done. I like that hint of blue there.

Looking forward to meeting you next month.

Barb

Nancy Leone
09-17-2004, 10:05 AM
Barb, Took your advise...Bright turquoise stripe on the boat, hopefully pulls your eye away from leaning buildings. Thanks. Nancy

prestonsega
09-19-2004, 01:25 AM
The warm sepia tones in this work remind me of an old postcard from Europe. Glad you decided to post and I am sure you are going to have a grand time at the Handel workshop....I have heard nothing but rave revues and his latest book is great,