PDA

View Full Version : First acrylic painting...

zaftiggirl
09-14-2004, 05:06 PM
This is my first!!!! I painted this of my son. I am obviously not cut out for portraits... :wink2: I did do my best, but would love some C&C so I can revise, or do better next time!!!!!
L~
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Sep-2004/49310-lavportrait.JPG

ree7
09-15-2004, 12:35 AM
hello,

i'm new here, so don't know how much help i will be. i was surprised that this was acrylic, the technique looks so much like pastels.

the one thing that jumps out at me, is the "floating head" syndrome, where there is no neck, nor shoulders to anchor the subject. perhaps the hint of neck and shirt collar might help?

might be fun for you to get crazy with the shading, loosen up a tad and just have fun with it. experiment with the color, shadow and contrast?

have fun!

ree

mooz49
09-15-2004, 03:23 AM
I am pretty new at this myself but I would think that for a first acrylic painting you have done very well. :clap: :clap:

zaftiggirl
09-15-2004, 05:40 AM
Thanks for the C&C! I do get the Floating head thing now...never occured to me before :o ! I will change that for sure!
Ree7 said " i was surprised that this was acrylic, the technique looks so much like pastels." Did I use the acrylics the wrong way? I do watercolors and was trying to Not mix in too much water because I didn't have too :p .
Please let me know how to use them properly, as I don't want it to look wrong! I did feel weird painting over the colors with lighter colors, as that is not done in watercolor. It was strange to use WHITE! LOL
Anyway, thanks again for the C&C, and please tell me more...I am just learning... :)

ExpressiveAngie
09-15-2004, 07:19 AM
I think it is a fine first portrait...I do believe that the more we do the better we get. Have you been to PORTRAITURE here...go visit and read some posts you will learn tons.

ree7
09-15-2004, 11:07 AM
zaftiggirl,

i agree with mooz and angie... great first portrait (which for me is the most difficult subject to paint).

i don't think there is a wrong way to paint with acrylics, that is what makes them so fun to use, versatility.

if you work more on this piece, i would love to see the results.

have fun!

BRIDGES
09-15-2004, 01:24 PM
Do not use purple for shadows on faces..Use deeper flesh colors. Shadows. Eyes should be perfect round, the pupil. Protraits are hard for most to do wouldn't start with them FIRST..
Bridges

sassybird
09-15-2004, 02:21 PM
Don't be to quick to discount your talent in any one area. I would suggest that you post this over in portraiture and see what advice you can get from them. Portraits are what they do, and you will get much more help there than here.

Eileenjm
09-16-2004, 03:08 AM
For your first portrait you have done very well. I agree with what Charissa and Angie say you will get lots of friendly advice there. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Eileen

zaftiggirl
09-23-2004, 05:57 AM
Thanks all for the C&C.
I did post in portraiture, and I did get good advice.. Thanks for the tips!
L~

zaftiggirl
09-23-2004, 06:00 AM
Thanks for the tips!
I did submit to portraiture and got lots of good advice! :clap:
Thanks again!
L~