PDA

View Full Version : first time acrylist

Osteomark
09-14-2004, 04:32 PM
I just did my first attempt at acrylic. A business was going out of business and the had large tubes of M.Graham Acrylics. $1 a tube 120cc I think. Good price I thought. So I also bought 9x12 canvases. I did a sunset last pm. I love the flow of the paint. I usually use WC or pastels. What a differnce. I love mixing the titanium white with the solid colors and see great tints appear. The problem I have was I cann't seem to get detail with the thick paint on my 1/2" brush. Can you dilute the paint with water or should I use a smaller brush so it flows looser? I like how fast the paint dries on the canvas and I can put yellow over blue and not get green!!!!!!!! :clap: No worry of working light to dark either. I maybe be converting. However as I said how can I get detail in doing say buildings or rocks etc. Any good Acrylic books?

Sorry so winded just excited

Mark

ree7
09-14-2004, 05:07 PM
hello mark,

acrylic is so great! you can work it with a knife, or thin it with water to a watercolor wash technique. i don't know about any good acrylics books, but i'm sure someone will come along with some great titles. sometimes, just playing with the colors, experimenting with water and consistency is the best teacher in the world.

ree

romell
09-14-2004, 05:20 PM
Hi Mark,

For acrylic book, try "The Acrylics Book" by Barclay Sheakes.
It will teach you how to get started with acrylic painting.

Cheers,

Osteomark
09-14-2004, 05:32 PM
Ree,

I forgot about using the knife. I also bought some plastic pallete knifes. I could do rocks and trees with the knifes probably. If you dilute with water will it run off the vertical canvas board?

Thanks,

Mark

Osteomark
09-14-2004, 05:33 PM
Thanks Romell,

Will hunt on ebay.

Mark

ree7
09-14-2004, 05:44 PM
mark,

i usually work horizontally (the painting is horizontal, not me ;) ) so i don't have that problem. you will certainly have to experiment with the consistency to see what thickness is best for your technique.

ree

Artguy29
09-14-2004, 05:48 PM
Mark,

Welcome to the Acrylics forum :wave: . To make the paint flow better you can use an acrylic medium or, as you said, dilute the paint with water. If you mix in too much water, your paint will tend to "run". You just want to add a touch of water at first, test it, and add more if needed. It doesn't take much water to drown your paints, so be very careful not to put too much. Smaller brushes (I like to use round) are excellent for detail work.

Dave

Osteomark
09-14-2004, 06:07 PM
Thanks Dave,
Great advice. I do have 2 round acrylic brushes. Will try a touch of water. I put my paint on a flat plastic hand held palette hope the paint doesn't run off it.

Mark

jbitzel
09-15-2004, 07:44 AM
I tend to use water but my good friend Richard Saylor warned me that your paint will get kind of chalky and dull unless you use some gloss medium. I usually use water though because I like to finish my paintings with a layer of gloss medium anyways. I use a small mist bottle I got a wally world in the travel hygene section. It is great to apply a small mist to a cup on my pallette, I've got it down that 3 sprays on a smidgen of paint will make it keep longer and good for a background but I use 5 or 6 for a glaze. Also check out this thread http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=211197