PDA

View Full Version : Spurs

ree7
09-14-2004, 01:50 PM
Hello,

New to WC and very happy to find a place to ask for critique and suggestions concerning my work. Over the last couple days have enjoyed viewing everyone's paintings.

I work in many different media, but acrylics tend to be my favorite. I usually enjoy landscape, animal pics, some abstract... and tend to lean towards impressionistic. This is the first still life that i have attempted in several years. I've cross-posted this painting in the structured critique, but wanted to introduce myself in this acrylic forum also.

Any constructive criticism is really appreciated. (even negative! bring it on!!! ;) )

ree ;)

mooz49
09-14-2004, 02:20 PM
I think this is terrific and I wish I could paint like this. :clap: :clap:

ree7
09-14-2004, 05:27 PM
hi mooz, thank you for your comment.

i checked out your paintings, cat in hat is great.... i'm starting to get more and more interested in the monochromatic works... so the St Mark's Square and Auld Bally Castle were really eye-catching for me.

ree

mooz49
09-15-2004, 03:29 AM
Thanks Ree ............ I am kinda addicted to monochrome painting I think!!
Looking forward to seeing more of your paintings. :wave:

shirleyq
09-15-2004, 09:30 AM
Great job on the rendering. I like your palette since these colors seem permanently fixed in my mind at the moment :rolleyes: lol. Your painting would benefit greatly with some very light highlights. If you squint as you look at it now it is mostly one value. I do like this though. :)

ExpressiveAngie
09-15-2004, 10:08 AM
Great job, I agree with Shirley about some lighter values and I wonder what size is this?

ree7
09-15-2004, 10:40 AM
thank you mooz!

Shirley: oh gads, yes... i see what you mean. more highlights would have been better for sure. thank you for your help!

Angie: thank you for your help.... sorry i didn't mention the size before... it is 8 x 10

Eileenjm
09-16-2004, 03:30 AM
I don't know how I missed this one it's lovely, have to agree a few little highlights would certainly make it pop. Can't wait to see more of your work. :clap: :clap:

Eileen

billiam
09-16-2004, 06:20 AM
welcome, always nice to view good artwork. looking forwark to more. bill

ree7
09-16-2004, 06:30 PM
Eileen, Bill and everyone that responded to this, thank you so much for your imput, it has helped me a great deal.

ree

Marty C
09-16-2004, 10:02 PM
Hi ree,
Welcome to the Acrylics Forum.
Very nice work with a limited palette. I see it is on canvas, but what size is it?
Well rendered, the highlights have been mentioned.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Sep-2004/16809-spur1.jpg
In terms of composition, the spurs set up a diagonal line (the red lines) which direct the eye to the dark left and out of the work. The right side of the work is lighter and the eye is normally drawn to light areas, but in the area in green there is not much variation in form or colour to keep the eye busy, so once again the diagonals will come into play and the viewer will exit the work.
There needs to be something else in the right of the work for balance.
Still life works are exceptionally hard to get just right compositionally, but the advantage in them is you can manipulate at will, so you can play with your setup until it is right, and the lighting is constant.
Your added advantage is that you have skill in painting already, so once the composition is right the rest will be a snap for you!

ree7
09-16-2004, 10:23 PM
marty,

the piece is 8 X 10 inches... i see what you mean about the composition, and your pic really helped to explain what you meant. i wonder if it would have been better, had i moved the arrangement to the right side of the canvas, and had the light source coming from the left... thus lightening up the stars of the spurs? perhaps something for me to try next time, just to see how it changes things.
thank you!
ree