PDA

View Full Version : Snappin' Beans

prestonsega
09-14-2004, 03:01 AM
I wasn't going to post this as a WIP...but as time is gettin short,,I figured i should use all my resources that have been so freely given me....this is a composit of an old b/w pic I found in some of my family's old stuff...but the origional was making lace.....not something that tody's viewer would readily undrestand....so I changed it to snapping beans....used a model whos only fee was copies of her photos,,,,,,. C&C away please. I just drew in the arms and want feed back on the proportions,,they look too longl to me....

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Sep-2004/29946-snappinbeans.jpg

16"x 20" flannel Canson

bnoonan
09-14-2004, 12:13 PM
Hey Preston - I think you may want to move this to soft pastel studios for posting if you want to get some interest and comments.

Before I critique I have to say I love the subject matter and the composition and how you decided to approach this. the background is very subtle and works well - not too much detail and great colors!

For some reason I feel like the length of the arms relative to the neck/hands is too short. Perhaps she was leaning in, but I can't quite tell.

She kind of looks pissed off at the beans - was that intentional? Did you make them rotten ones or was the lace giving her fits? (sorry - but I know there is a fine line between painting angry and concentrating and this is just at that border).

As I look at it a bit more .. I find the unfinished nature of the work a bit more interesting.... Keep going or let us know how you change it.

Barb

SweetBabyJ
09-14-2004, 12:20 PM
Her right sleeve needs to be wider- as is, her bosom is pretty much like a linebacker's (which I've seen in Germany- some of those women look like battleship prows walking around) and *maybe* bring that shoulder up just a hair. I cannot tell if the head/neck is too small, as the dress is obviously so volumnious. Finish giving the figure form at the waist line, and indicate a bit more of the skirt, and this may be done, Preston.

Nice light in this- nice nice light.

Kitty Wallis
09-14-2004, 03:41 PM
Her right sleeve needs to be wider- as is, her bosom is pretty much like a linebacker's (which I've seen in Germany- some of those women look like battleship prows walking around) and *maybe* bring that shoulder up just a hair. I cannot tell if the head/neck is too small, as the dress is obviously so volumnious. Finish giving the figure form at the waist line, and indicate a bit more of the skirt, and this may be done, Preston.

Nice light in this- nice nice light.

Good piece, I like the expression.

Yes, the sleeve on our left, her right, should be wider, almost half again as wide. then the proportions of the forearm and hand will work.

prestonsega
09-14-2004, 04:25 PM
Barb...you would be pissed off too if you had birthed 12 children all who were naer do wells and drunkard living at home eating the food she grew and prepares :D Interesting that about what you said re the unfinished style..and the closer to show time,,,the better it looks!!! :evil:

Julie ......Yep..not only am I combining 2 diff't pics but historical styles of clothing..should be interesting to see how it shapes up.

Kitty..I think I shall refer to this as the "Moaning Lisa " expresion

thanks guys ..and anyone else please jump in before i start back into it..pleeease!

Khadres
09-15-2004, 01:33 PM
Sheesh, Preston, put a HALO on the poor woman's head! TWELVE children! How the heck many beans does she have to SNAP anyway!?!?!?!

judwal
09-15-2004, 02:38 PM
Kitty..I think I shall refer to this as the "Moaning Lisa " expresion

Moaning Lisa...love it!http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Sep-2004/43597-laugh.gif

bnoonan
09-15-2004, 03:26 PM
Ok - she can be angry - that many kids isn't easy.

Best of luck with it.

B

prestonsega
09-15-2004, 03:35 PM
Ok - she can be angry - that many kids isn't easy.

Best of luck with it.

B

I hope y'all know that was a joke( 12 kids,,) based on the possibility of being real..In the depression era, farming families needed the extra field hands and the way to have that was to have children..( I guess it could be attributed to the lack of recreational outlets at the time, also) My dad was 1 of 8 siblings, plus 2 that died at childbirth)

binkie
09-15-2004, 05:01 PM
Preston, I really do like this! :clap: It reminds me of a visit to my grandma's farm when I was a child. She'd sit snapping beans while she talked to me and never looked up. She looked stern too, like your painting.

Long before the depression folks had large families to help work the land. The concept of childhood didn't come about until the industrial age when people moved off the farms to the cities and began to have more leisure time.

gwen

DominicM
09-15-2004, 05:19 PM
Preston its wonderful, cant add to what has been previously said but love your choice of color

SweetBabyJ
09-15-2004, 09:24 PM
tap-tap-tap

Well? Where's she at?

prestonsega
09-15-2004, 09:28 PM
uhhhhhhhh,,,,,she's taking a nap right now....got a blister on her thumb!!!! lol

Gwen and Dominic..thanks for your comments...I will post the finished results later for you to see,, ( glad I was ablel to bring back fond chldhood memories, gwen)

meowmeow
09-16-2004, 11:02 AM
I'm waiting for Moaning Lisa to progress...looks like it will be neat.

Personally, being an antique textiles person, I would love to see the lace photo. I am also interested in the fact thatyou had relatives who made lace! Neat! Where was that and when? Do you know? Nothing like changing the subject! :D

Nice beans though...she does look lke she is concentrating very hard...it can get annoying having to do all that work just for a side dish...although I happen to like fresh veggies myself!

Sandy

dexonsbabe
09-16-2004, 11:13 AM
I love the colours in this and the way you are combining photos..........

My great-grandmother had 18 children plus 3 that died while babies :eek:

khourianya
09-16-2004, 01:51 PM
She is just great, Preson! I love the colours. She's built a bit like Mrs. Doubtfire...but I know ladies like that so it's really just an observation. I'd love to see an update - do you have one for us?

bnoonan
09-16-2004, 03:14 PM
Hey - wake her up- napping time is over and those blisters have got to be healed by now!!!

B

prestonsega
09-16-2004, 03:16 PM
She is just great, Preson! I love the colours. She's built a bit like Mrs. Doubtfire...but I know ladies like that so it's really just an observation. I'd love to see an update - do you have one for us?

...you are right!!!!! she is like Mrs. Doubtfire!!! I take that as a compliment....Petit women didn't fare well in the olden days on a farm!!! btw..I bet I have seen that movie over 100 times,,,i went the night it opened.....a loooooong time ago! It is on Canson, and one of the things I am learning about canson is to study and be deliberate with my strokes ( at least that is my rationale for her not being finished...she is on the docket for tonight!...thanks for commenting

prestonsega
09-19-2004, 12:14 AM
I got my set of sampler purples from Dakota,,,,,and well,,you know how much we love playing with our new toys. I have made many changes...including the style...I started going for a more loose style..for better or worse....focusing mainly on the drapery and hands which now seem too large in proportion to the head.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Sep-2004/29946-snappingbeansC.jpg

bnoonan
09-19-2004, 11:27 AM
Love the purples and lavenders and your use of them on the pan - and her dress. Very nicely done!!

I think the hands are large but you'll have to use your reference image more on this. I'm going to assume it allows enough for you to be able to see them.

She's a proud and sturdy woman I can tell!!!

B

prestonsega
09-19-2004, 04:32 PM
Perhaps it is because I am tired of looking at this piece, that I am thinking of a crop....
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Sep-2004/29946-snapbeancrop.jpg

bnoonan
09-19-2004, 05:03 PM
Hmmm... I have to say I miss her face. Maybe you shouldn't use it for this show and put it against the wall for a few months.

B

prestonsega
09-19-2004, 08:49 PM
Hmmm... I have to say I miss her face. Maybe you shouldn't use it for this show and put it against the wall for a few months.

B

I agree...already done...thanks Barb!