PDA

View Full Version : WIA Tuesday Sep 17 2004

McDuck
09-14-2004, 01:18 AM
Hello Everyone! I am still up :eek: Just wanted to say :wave: "hi" have a few things in teh show and tell, but will re show them in todays show and tell witha few others. been kind of busy gearing up for two shows and trying to revamp my site in preparation for the search engines. Hope you all have a wonderful nights sleep and a great day tomorrow. :wave:

-Mary

Andee
09-14-2004, 01:56 AM
Good morning Mary and everybody else!

I'll have my job interview in 2 hours, so I'm a bit nervous here... (Okay, I'm a nervous wreck actually... :D ) But this afternoon a new silversmithing class will start, so there's something to look forward to!

Have a great day, everybody!

:wave:

TheBlueBetween
09-14-2004, 02:05 AM
Hi again Mary - I just emailed you AND commented on your beauties in the S&T - but here's another wave :wave:

Andee - GOOD LUCK at your interview!!!! Can't wait to find out how it went. And have fun at the silversmithing class :)

Nite all - see ya in the AM...

Pam

Andee
09-14-2004, 06:27 AM
Hi again!

Pam - thanks! :)

I'm totally beat, just got home from the interview. It went well, as far as I can tell, but it is SO exhausting to babble about yourself for 45 minutes and then have to do a little "work try-out" (I'm sure there's a real word for that, but atm I just can't come up with it) for nearly another 60 minutes, when you're all tense and nervous and whatnot... Urgh! But that's over now, although now it's waiting for a result which can take 3 or more weeks...

Need a bite now!

TTFN,

LLane
09-14-2004, 07:56 AM
Morning Andee, Pam and Mary..... and all who come in today!
Andee I'm keeping all fingers and toes crossed for you to get this job.... that is if this is THE one you want! I'm totally in agreement with interviews being VERY stressful! But try to unwind and give yourself some pampering for getting through it!! :D

Mary..... wishing you lots of productivity so you will have some time for yourself too!!! (will pm you about dates later)

Pam...... what you doing up so late girl? :D

Today I'm trying to get on the torch, get a couple of applications to shows processed, finish up an order and make the house nice for a showing tonight. We leave for Key West in the afternoon on Wednesday to check on house progress. I am finishing up picking out stuff and I will be working with the tile this trip.... we are putting in an oversize shower and I really want to use some of the new glass tile as well as regular ceramic. Mark was going to fuse some tiles for us, but the time has gotten past us, so I am going to make a mosaic on a wall in the kitchen at a later date using some of his work and some of my cabs and other cool stuff...... I hope. Always looking for ideas for stuff I can incorporate! It will be a vertical wall so texture won't be a problem.

OoOOps.... rambling ...... sorry...... have a great day all. Give yourself a smile and give one to someone else who needs it too! (you can afford to give
this gift!)
Peace,
Lois (who is off to get some yellow flowers to put at the front door because my rep who is trained in Feng Shui, visited me here yesterday and suggested they might help the sale of the house!)

beclectic
09-14-2004, 07:57 AM
Was the work-tryout testing on the equipment? Am I understanding your system correctly, you will be notified one way or the other in 3 weeks? If that is so it is much better than here in that way because here they usually just never tell you anything unless you are hired. Just leaves you in limbo waiting forever. I got in the habit of calling back in about 3 weeks and inquiring if the position had been filled. If it had I would also inquire if they were looking to fill any other positions that were similar. Never found anyone that was but at least it was a proactive thing to do.

Have a lot of fun at your silversmithing class.

I've got to share with y'all the neatest most cool thing I saw yesterday. I went to lunch at the resturant that is in the Ky. Theatre for the Performing Arts. They used to have a gift shop there that sold local artist work but they closed it. I'm not sure why. Sad but true, several of the downtown gallerys are closed or moved. There in the lobby stood a cigarette machine but it wasn't selling cigarettes. I think it is illigle to sell cigarettes from a machine now anyplace people under 18 can go, so that means only some bars can us the machines and that means there are probably lots more machines than are needed. Anyway, this cigarette machine was painted in a Carnival theme with a lady walking a tight rope and animals in circles, and ducks with target on in a row like in a shooting gallery. What this machine was selling, for $5 each, was art. Pictures painted on wooden blocks the size of cigarette packages, boxes the size of cigarette packages with earrings, or small cast pins or pendents, handmade soap, just all kinds of artist products from different artists. Each little section that used to be marked with a brand of cigaretts had a little sign with the artists name and a small illustration of their artwork. I think this is a great idea. You wouldn't have to sell for $5, it could probably be set for more. A nice glass bead on a leather string, a simple pair of earrings, whatever. I think this would be especially attractive set in the front of the booth at a fair or show so that some people could help themselves to the lower end items. You could display them without worrying about theft too. The only thing is I imagine those machines are pretty heavy so you'd have to have help for the setup and a big enough vehicle to carry it. Guess what was sold out of the one I saw? Yep, glass beads, people just want glass beads, they like them, it would be good for marbles too.

What do y'all think? I am thinking of looking into acquiring one of these machines.

Have a fun and productive day,

Andee
09-14-2004, 08:19 AM
Lois - thank you! I think the job will be very interesting (I applied for a job in marketing for a hospital, and I think that's much more interesting than marketing for an IT company - which was my last job - that has a portfolio nearly nobody needs, and nearly nobody understands, at least hospitals help people...). I DO want this job, the only drawback is the very lousy payment... Also it's very close to where I live, so I won't have to commute for hours or so (10 minutes one way)... Oh well, we'll see.

Barbara - the work-tryout was: 1. correcting a three pages long text (so they see that I know the right spelling, punctuation and so on - this would actually be a big part of that job, reading copy text and correcting). 2. typing a letter in Word. 3. making a sheet in Excel. 4. Making a diagram in PowerPoint. (So that they see I can work with this software)... It wasn't a difficult task to manage, I just didn't expect it, it's the first time anybody ever asked for it... And yes, I will be notified either way, they will have to send me back the folder with all my stuff in it anyway. Your system must be so frustrating!

The idea with the cigarette machine is great, but can people see what they'll buy beforehand? Anyway, it's a great use of those machines, and I can imagine it will attract some attention! :)

beclectic
09-14-2004, 09:23 AM
Barbara - the work-tryout was: 1. correcting a three pages long text (so they see that I know the right spelling, punctuation and so on - this would actually be a big part of that job, reading copy text and correcting). 2. typing a letter in Word. 3. making a sheet in Excel. 4. Making a diagram in PowerPoint. (So that they see I can work with this software)... It wasn't a difficult task to manage, I just didn't expect it, it's the first time anybody ever asked for it... And yes, I will be notified either way, they will have to send me back the folder with all my stuff in it anyway. Your system must be so frustrating!

We would call that job testing. Yes the lack of response is very frustrating. Looking for a job is one of the most depressing things I've ever been through and I get depressed every time it has happened and it has happened 3 times in the last 12 years for various reasons.

I am working for a non-profit and I feel good about the work they are doing but the pay is lower for the same type of work. You could always look for another, better job once you get this job. For some reason it is always easier to find another job if you already have one. I guess you are seen as a more valuable acquisition or maybe it is just the compition thing, who knows.

The idea with the cigarette machine is great, but can people see what they'll buy beforehand? Anyway, it's a great use of those machines, and I can imagine it will attract some attention! :)

There is a place for the artist's name and a little picture. I'd probably want to put on something like "Items will vary due to the artistic nature of the product." The whole idea is you are buying little packages of art so no two would be alike. That is what you are selling. Something unique.

McDuck
09-14-2004, 09:24 AM
:wave: Morning again everyone! :wave: (many of Donna's little waving guys here)

Andee - congrats on the job interview, i am sure you didia wonderful tryout! Will keep all the little appendages crossed for you :clap: It is nice they let you know either way, as Barbara said, here you are left in the fog.

Barbara that really sounds kewl. Wonder how much they are? :confused:

:wave: *waves to Pam*

Lois, can't wait to meet you at the silversmithing class here! :clap: Ihope you house did not get too wet this last pass of the hurricane. Those poor florida people, but then again whe earthquakes hit it is those poor California people. Itell you the places we choose to live :eek: As for our tiles the the DH didnt get to make, you can always place white ones where you want those and carefully pry them out and replace them later.

Off to look in the kiln then off to a free massage I won. i hope she can help. I am really stressing lately, which isnt too normal for me, and I need 30 mins of peace and quiet. Then to make beads.

have a great day!
mary

Barrie
09-14-2004, 09:59 AM
Good morning. It's early here (for me anyway) just before 7 am, had to drop the dh off at work early, now I have a few minutes before I pick the granddaughter up for day car, so thought I'd get a head start on the day.

Andee - hope you get the job, close to home is worth lousy pay any day! LOL!

Barbara - what a cool idea! The potential is infinite! I can think of two friends who own two different business where something like that would be an awesome addition to their stores! Hmmmm!!!

Lois - can't knock the feng shui folk, seems to work for many! It does seem silly sometimes though. Hope the showing goes well!!

Pam - up and at 'em girl, the day's awasting!! LOL!

Mary - my beadies arrived!! Stunning, and thanks for the extras! :) Enjoy your massage, that's something I've always wanted to treat myself to, but never seem to get around to it. Maybe one of these days! (did you get my pms?)

Here's some wavy guys :wave: :wave: :wave: for everyone else that joins us today. I'm back at the bench, have to finish a couple of things for this afternoon, then off to teach a class tonight. I've had a vacation from my regular Tuesday class for about a month and a half, and I'm actually looking forward to getting back into the routine. I have to clean out my toolbox, organzie my notes, and make sure I'm prepared (piece of cake!). Hope you all have a happy productive day!

Beads-Me!
09-14-2004, 10:07 AM
Hi all!! I finally have my computer back! Though it's still not all right.... But at least I can use most of it for now... Barbara - that is an awesomely creative idea!! I wonder where you would look for them....hmmm... perhaps eBay! ;) Andee - keeping my fingers crossed for you! Waving at all the rest of you! :wave:

I'm off to make beads for the show coming. I've been busy with publicity - trying to get us in as many places as I can think.... And we're up in lights now - we'll be on the convention center's marquee until the show's over! How cool is that - it's really going to happen!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Sep-2004/14950-1111111111111BeadExpoMarquee.jpg

Have a good one!

McDuck
09-14-2004, 10:19 AM
Nancy that is AWSOME!!! I cant wait to be there! Hobbknobbing with the rich and bead famous.... :D

-Mary...errrr...McDuck

LLane
09-14-2004, 10:36 AM
Hey Mary....... you better check your calendar..... I think it might be broken!! :D :evil: :wink2:

Lois

Bangs
09-14-2004, 10:45 AM
Hey everyone! Hope you are having a good day.

To Andee, good wishes coming your way for that job!

Barbara, I just heard of those machines, myself. There was a newspaper article about them--one of our local community colleges evidently has one. Now how cool would it be to get your art in them, if they are going to be all over the country. But then again, I don't know what I could make for a coupla bucks, either.....

McDuck
09-14-2004, 10:48 AM
Hey Mary....... you better check your calendar..... I think it might be broken!! :D :evil: :wink2:

Lois
LOL Lois and WHY is THAT! :confused: I seem to have my weekends booked thorugh the class! Now if I could just make some money!

-Mary :confused:

Charlee
09-14-2004, 10:57 AM
Mornin y'all! I was up early, awaiting the phone guy. He's come and gone - repaired the phone jack in my studio. Chloe escaped and had an 'out the front door' adventure, but she's back in and quietly smug - lording it over Nadine, who missed her chance to run for it. :rolleyes: Dogs are so silly.

Andee, good luck with the job hunt! Few things I detest more than interviewing. ugh!

Lois, the mosaic sounds deliciously fun. And thanks for the Feng Shui idea. I'll pass that on to a friend who's selling her place. She lives in RI, where the realty laws are vastly different from here in AR. They just lost the house of their dreams to a higher offer (that's illegal here - an offer accepted is a done deal). She's being very stoic about it and keeps saying, "A better one will come along. A better one will come along."

Barbara, what a awesome idea! I'd have to buy something from the machine just for the experience of it - and the box. LOL I love wee boxes.

Mary, enjoy your massage! I've not had one in ages, but they are such a wonderful de-stressor.

Barrie, it's nice to get back to something you enjoy after taking a break. Have fun!

Nancy, I know you're excited about the bead show. Can't wait to hear all about it. Now I can say I know someone who's name is up in lights. LOL

:wave: to everyone!

MadameKali
09-14-2004, 12:20 PM
Good luck in your pursuits, everyone--especially you, Andee!

This is just going to be a quick note. You may not see me for a week or so, my DSL won't be turned on til then and I don't know that I feel like messing with my dialup. I think a week offline could do me some good, anyway.

See you later!

Andee
09-14-2004, 02:12 PM
Thank you all for your support, you are the best!! :)

Mary - hope you enjoyed your massage and that it helped!!

Nancy - wow, way to go gal! Good luck with the show!

Susie - can you really survive a week without WC?!! :o ;)

TheBlueBetween
09-14-2004, 04:41 PM
Hi everyone - I'm up now :D Just kidding, I've been up for awhile. Had to do some stealing over in the CA. Ordered some glass and spent too much money again. Hubby said the money tree is stripped bare and about ready to shrivel up so I will be in trouble about this. Have been trying to catch up on paperwork as well. Seems there is an invoice I need to get out - maybe that will pay for my glass. I hope.

Andee I'm glad it went well - I hope they call you soon!

Welcome back Charlee!

Nancy - that is so cool! Wish I could go!

We will miss you Susie - but I bet you can't stay away that long LOL.

Hello to Shirley in case she's checking in too. And Donna Bee - where are you?????

Barbara I'm glad you got your car and independence back again ! :clap:

Lois hope the flowers work - I have a book on feng shui cures and have tried a few and have been amazed with the results. Speaking of I should go clear out my fortunate blessings corner and add something green there to encourage money flow IN instead of OUT. One time hubby and I were going through a rough patch and we didn't like each other very much and I did a little something in the relationships corner - put up a happy picture of the two of us, a heat shaped rock I'd found on a walk one time, dusted, etc. etc. 10 minutes later he comes in the house from sulking in the garage and gives me a kiss and asks how my day has been going - not just to ask, he really wanted to know! Who knows why these things work - but I think if you just put out what you want to the universe it will find it's way to you if it's really what you need.

Well I've chatted too long - have to go make lunch and fix that financial corner! LOL :D

Have a great day all! :wave: to everyone I missed!

Pam

DonnaBee
09-14-2004, 06:13 PM
Hi!!!!!

I am getting behind again on my WC..... now where are my priorities!

Drive by Hello!!! :wave:

Barbara, congrats on getting your replacement vehicle! I was reading about it, and it really seems to have worked out very well, I am the same way about a vehicle. I get attached, and do not wish to change. If I had to replace my '97 Buick I would be pretty traumatized, and I would want another one exactly like it! I am coming up on the 100,000 mile mark, and I intend to drive it to 200,000 if at all possible:D

Pam, I really enjoyed Luke's pictures that I saw in yesterday's WIA thread. (I was going to say this even before I saw you posted to see where I am! :) :D ) Really, he is an absolute living doll. He's a huggable squeezable one, I can tell!

Not much going on here. (That is a very good thing! The way I like it!)

All the really hard work getting my sixth grader started on his new school year is paying off... his first two-week grade report came back shockingly good. It's a huge relief. A relief to me that the school seems to be grading him correctly. (I might not have to call an early IEP meeting this year, and that is like pure bliss to me! :D) Jon is trying his hardest, Brian and I are both putting in hours helping him, and Friday Jon brought home all A's and two C's. I just can't tell you what this means to me.... Sometimes things go good! It's been awhile since I could say that! :) :crying: :)

(This moment brought to you by Sylvan.... lol, NOT!)

TheBlueBetween
09-14-2004, 06:28 PM
Hi!!!!!

(This moment brought to you by Sylvan.... lol, NOT!)

Great news Donna! Glad the kids are getting off on the right foot - I can only immagine what a releif that is for you :)

And thanks about Luke's pictures - I forgot I posted them yesterday - seems like a week ago already. He is very squishable :D If you can catch him. Gotta love boys. Especially in frog boots ;) With underware on their heads. LOL!

Ok off to the bank and post office... I feel like I'm getting so little done... but really it's a lot. I have to sweep when I get back - I stepped on a glass sliver a little while ago in my office - don't know where it came from... must have been a broken bead. Those darn beads. :evil: My foot hurts, glad it wasn't Luke or one of the dogs who stepped on it.

Bangs
09-14-2004, 07:26 PM
Charlee, I hate those "out the front door" adventures! I've got one that will always come when called, but the other little fur-gal is an adventurer at heart. Scary!