PDA

View Full Version : Please take a look at some of my Lampworked beads

Fire Psycho
09-13-2004, 10:51 PM
Hello,

I'm just starting out, having fun, getting frustrated at trying to learn how to become one with the flame. I'm getting there little by little...I think...lol.

My biggest issue is controlling the glass, but I am patient I know one day I will figure it out..AND be able to make a round bead too..haha.

I wanted to post a picture of what I am starting to produce. I have about 10 or so hours on the torch.

Any and all comments are welcome, thank you in advance.

vintagelb
09-13-2004, 11:05 PM
keep up the good work.. i love pictures

Vaverska
09-13-2004, 11:08 PM
Nice start! I really like the "personality" of the sculptured face! The best learning advice I received was to concentrate on repeating the same simple bead over and over ( there's a thread about this here somewhere...???...someone will find a link, I'm sure! :) )...each color of glass has its own way of flowing and shaping, using a basic technique not only gives you repetitive practice, but also allows you to compare and contrast the characteristics of different glasses.
Good luck! And welcome WC! From another "hours challenged" Newbie!

Virginia L.
09-13-2004, 11:35 PM
:clap: :clap: :clap: Great sculpture bead and the others look like you are having a really good time - keep it up - Virginia L.

Elena
09-13-2004, 11:45 PM
Great Job, I think you are on to something!! You are brave to show your first beads! Actually this is the safest place to do it!!‹ GREAT people here! My first beads were so wonky!! But I have them sitting here next to my puter.
Have fun!!
Elena

MegannsMom
09-13-2004, 11:51 PM
I gather that you like eye balls and faces?! I have yet to attempt to do any sculptural work....and am sure that I wouldn't even come close to that face! Looks like you are really on your way! Just think, maybe someday you'll be famous in glass circles for those faces and eyeballs!! Welcome to WC, :wave: We are glad to have you!!
~Cindy

scupltorgirl
09-14-2004, 12:05 AM
Excellent work for so little time at the torch!

You really have a talent there -- keep on nurturing the sculptural work! :clap:

koregon
09-14-2004, 12:22 AM
I agree...your sculpture bead does have a lot of personality...great job!

BurningScentsations
09-14-2004, 12:50 AM
I have to agree with the others, Great Work!

I have way more than 10 hours of practice and have yet to even attempt to do faces and eyeballs.

Dots are still sending me into fits.

Keep on going! I can't wait to see what else you will accomplish after you get some more experience!

Lloyd

Helen Simon
09-14-2004, 08:21 AM
And Happy Birthday, by the way!! I like to do sculptural work, too. I think it's easier for beginners, and rather than stress over getting beads round and even, which isn't my personality, I just stuck w/ sculpture..still have trouble making round beads, but then again...who wants to? It's pure fun to have glass defy gravity, freeze in motion, stay where it's put..welcome. Love, Helen

Booger
09-14-2004, 08:26 AM
I am seriously impressed if you managed that face bead THIS EARLY ON! Please post more - I am thinking you will astound us with your progress.

Sheryll aka Ms. Booger

KrisMcAllister
09-14-2004, 09:07 AM
Everyone who is successful in Lampworking seems to have thier own thing and honey....sculture work is definatley yours...Run with it. Awsome work!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

GinaJ
09-14-2004, 09:13 AM
Wow, those are really good!!!! Love the face!!!

KrisMcAllister
09-14-2004, 09:15 AM
Everyone who is successful in Lampworking seems to have thier own thing and honey....sculture work is definatley yours...Run with it. Awsome work!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

xoticbead
09-14-2004, 10:00 AM
I've had maybe 3 years of "practice" and I have never even tried a sculpture face, so your ahead of me there. I thought the "8" ball bead showed some originality in thought. I could be wrong but I don't think I've seen one of those around before. Keep at it. your on your way
Liz

msritaa
09-14-2004, 02:43 PM
Your beads are great. I am a newbie too (about 6 wks) but I don't have the nerve to post my beads yet. I love the sculptured face especially. Keep on flamin'.

Leevite
09-14-2004, 03:00 PM
GREAT face! Isn't glass so completely FUN?!

CosmicGW
09-14-2004, 03:39 PM
Your beads are great for only 10 hours on the torch. I really like the face bead.

Becky

AlaskaBarb
09-14-2004, 04:19 PM
Those are great! Becoming 'one' with the glass takes practice. Just keep at it, and pretty soon, you'll be able to just concentrate on the designs, rather than dealing so much with the materials. You're off to a wonderful start.

For me (and I'm still struggling), it was trying to become 'one' with the TOOLS. Holy cow. After years of working in fimo, sugar paste, and clay, it was like trying to sculpt wearing boxing gloves. No 'tactility.'

But every day, it gets a *little* easier -- at some point, I guess the tools just become extensions of the fingers, and you don't consciously think about them.

Be careful of really becoming 'one' with the glass. That stuff is HOT.

Good luck -- fab beads!

Barb

Jinx.Garza
09-14-2004, 04:28 PM
Evil Eyes right out of the gate! Excellent. ;)

Jinx

tigerlil
09-14-2004, 05:01 PM
10 hours? pretty darn good. very good sculptural face. I agree with the others that if this is your beginning it'll be interesting to see where you head.

I'm grinning at two of your symbols--when I first learned to shape glass the eightball and the yin-yang were in my first few beads, too! (though my yin-yang was green & orange; the eightball used to be my avatar)

though 10 hours doesn't warrant being frustrated with the flame yet--after 10 months then okay :D

the advice above about repeating the same bead over & over is a really difficult one to follow (if you're anything like me and have Glass D.D.) but it is very excellent advice nonetheless. I might have to look up that thread myself.

Virginia L.
09-14-2004, 07:03 PM
I have NEVER made the same bead over and over again.................oooooooooooops, that's right, I make fish, over and over, and I make stars, over and over.............yup, sounds like a good idea - just do what you LOVE, over and over!!!! PPP, always PPP

Crowe
09-14-2004, 07:08 PM
You are doing great for so little time on the torch. You'll get better and better each time you work! Enjoy!

Fire Psycho
09-14-2004, 09:55 PM
I must say I am humbled and thankful at the response I have gotten to my post, so humble that Iím afraid turn on the torch again..haha.
I appreciate the positive feedback on my battle with the element of fire.

And thank you for the birthday wish Helen.

With appreciation,

Amozoo
09-18-2004, 12:30 AM
Great going, you show a lot of creativity and bravery! I'd never have tried a sculpted bead that early on! Good going. Thanks for sharing