PDA

View Full Version : Boston terrier/Spitz Done ...

binkie
09-13-2004, 08:49 PM
... well, almost. I want to do a little more with the eyes. I'm including the pic I did the pastel from this time. (Not just the cropped pic) The mat is just one I had lying around and it's leaning up against the painting, which is still on the work board.

Thanks so much,
gwen

Paula Ford
09-13-2004, 09:17 PM
Wonderful...the eyes are fabulous and look so real!!
:clap: :clap: :clap:

Paula

K Taylor-Green
09-13-2004, 09:24 PM
Oh Gwen, very nice indeed. The likeness is right on.

binkie
09-14-2004, 02:56 PM
Thanks Paula and Kate!!

I thought it was just about done but the more I look at it, the more changes I see that need to be made. At some point I'm going to have to call it done. Oh yeah, I already did that. Wonder how many times I'll do that before it actually is finished. And then I think that if I don't keep my hands off it I'll probably ruin it. This silly dog pastel is becoming my "child." Do you think it could mean I might have a chance of becoming a real artist someday? :)

Also meant to ask what you all think of the background. I used two shades of green with just a touch of light brown here and there.

Thanks again!
gwen

prestonsega
09-14-2004, 05:15 PM
Pat your self on the back..doggies are harder than one thinks...that's why I don't do 'em! You obviously don't have a problem with them :clap:

Dark_Shades
09-14-2004, 06:51 PM
Well done Binkie, you did a super job finishing this, love the green background, looks really good set against the tan colour...... perhaps a similiar colour mat would look really good too ....... love he's nose, looks so real...... and Im sure he just winked at me lol

well done

Khadres
09-14-2004, 09:12 PM
Wow! You pulled this one off perfectly! Love those liquid, puppydog eyes! The owner should be THRILLED!

binkie
09-15-2004, 04:51 PM
Preston, Dawn and Sooz, Thanks so much for the compliments. I really enjoyed doing it. And Dawn, that's a great idea about the mat color. I am definitely going to suggest that to the lady.

I fiddled with it some more and have smoothed out a few rough spots in the ears, ect. that I found Think it's about time I stop messing around with it and call it absolutely done.

Again, thanks so much everyone for your support!!!
gwen :wave:

lawsportraits
09-15-2004, 06:42 PM
I know you are already finished, but I thought that I'd post this, just incase you did want make more changes. I think the main thing is to add more shadow to the left side of his face in order to give him more three dimension. Don't be affraid to throw more colour in him as well, warm yellows and ochres on the sunny side, cool greens, violets and such on the shaded side.

These are just suggestions. You can tell me to go jump in the lake if you wish. ;)

Heather

binkie
09-17-2004, 01:45 PM
Hi Heather, You don't have to go jump in the lake. :evil:

Thanks for posting the pic. I like your suggestions. Since the lady has already seen the painting and likes it the way it is I won't be making any changes to it. I want to use more color in my paintings. It's just taking that first step. I started a new art class Wednesday and am going to give it a try in class.

Again, thanks so much for taking the time to post your suggestions!
gwen

bnoonan
09-17-2004, 07:14 PM
Congratulations on this portrait job and the piece. It's a good one!!

What's always amazing is how long those ears on the dogs are!!!

And Dawn is right - puppies aren't as easy as you may think.

I still like the dobie pup best!!!

Barb

binkie
09-19-2004, 08:40 PM
Hi Barb,

Thanks for the feedback. I have to say that my Dober pup is also a very special painting to me. I'm finding that I truly enjoy painting "furkids."

gwen