PDA

View Full Version : 4 pastel landscapes, quick

Newberry
09-13-2004, 11:51 AM
Hello all,

I have been in a terrible mood, and on 9/11, between the hurricanes here in Florida, I went out to draw landscapes, it was such a fantastic day.

I used Rembrandt soft, black cansons paper, one of them is gray/brown.

About 45 mintues per drawing before the light changes.

Michael

khourianya
09-13-2004, 11:57 AM
Glad to hear you had a great day drawing..sometimes that helps kill a terrible mood!

These a beautiful, Michael. great work!

SweetBabyJ
09-13-2004, 12:19 PM
Did these help kill the mood?

They would've for me- I suck at landscape- bigtime- I'd be dancing for joy over these!

Kathryn Wilson
09-13-2004, 02:19 PM
Hi Michael! I like these quick sketches - you got down on paper the essence of the scene. Your strokes of pastel lend a lively texture to each one.

ummm . . . not sure what the 3rd one is, but I am sure the minute you tell me, I'll know exactly what it is - :D

Pinecone Conniff
09-13-2004, 07:38 PM
Wow!! I really love the first one especially! Nice work!! :clap:
Annette

Khadres
09-14-2004, 01:53 PM
I really like the linear texture of the strokes on these and the simplified lay-outs. The third one? Ummm....looks like the underside of a bridge maybe? Anyway, looks like you kicked that bad mood into next week with these! Nice!

prestonsega
09-14-2004, 05:22 PM
I really like your hatching technique..to me it maintains the integrity of the medium...color and comp are great too,but the hatching wins the ribbon!

Deborah Secor
09-14-2004, 06:55 PM
Michael, these are terrific little studies. The simplicity of the massing and attention to shape is wonderful, and the understatement pleases me. I seem not to care what the subject is--the third one pleases me without understanding the place. Nice abstraction, nice control of values. Love the atmospheric quality in the fourth one, too.

I don't believe I've seen you in here before, so I hope you share more of your work with us. :)

Deborah

Newberry
09-18-2004, 01:40 PM
Wow, thank you all for such glowing comments.

I could really kick myself for all the years I DID NOT show my work on wetcanvas...being here and getting really considerate comments brightens my spirit.

I am torn between staying a review all of your works or putting the last touches! on a painting I have worked a couple of years on! But I have everything set up so the paint is calling.

BTW, if any of you have something you particularly want me to see don't hesitate to drop me a note.

Michael

pjo
09-18-2004, 04:07 PM
Loved all your sketches, I think the first one speaks to me. The texture is wonderful, beautiful colors. I have a daughter who lived in St. Petes, and now is in Ft. Myers, so I can understand about the mood a bit. I hope your day out painting helped.

CarlyHardy
09-18-2004, 05:43 PM
I love them all!!! What size do you work on for this period of time?

Your use of the linear strokes grabs my attention....as well as sets the atmosphere for each one. Strong winds, gusty day, bright light, and I especially like the choice of the darker toned paper for these quick studies.

Please do share more of your pastel work with us!!
carly

bnoonan
09-18-2004, 09:40 PM
Michael - I think my favorites are the first one - those clouds are just voluminous... is that the correct word? Anyway - they are shaded well and I too like your strokes.

The last one is another one I like - especially for the way the colors vibrate off each other.

I hope you wil post more work.

Oh and keep dry and safe.

Barb