PDA

View Full Version : Monday morning blues...no, reds!!

Cheena K
09-13-2004, 10:57 AM
Hi!

This is just a few minutes of scumble I managed before going to work, this Monday morning :) Now I can see the "mistakes" large and clear...the apple on the right is way too small and the wooden thing should be slightly bigger too!

I have used "brown" in apple at the bottom and it's making it look "rotten" as if it's rotting...no? what should I use instead??

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Sep-2004/34120-apple_still_life.jpg

SweetBabyJ
09-13-2004, 11:42 AM
That ref photo is a difficult one to capture colour-wise, Cori, as the photographer deliberately adjusted the lighting and hues to be almost monochromatic, with just the reds and yellows singing out. I've seen others of this set, and she was highly manipulative with her lighting- the result is terrific photographs, but not so good painting references unless you're willing to match the palette (which looks a bit odd in paint unless you can pull it off)

For others, though, apple shadows like that would be the red (or green) of the fruit, and then *probably* a blue-purple overtop- but lightly- and then anotehr glaze of fruit colour- but that choice would be according to what is close by influencing the hues. (See the mandarin eggs- the tangerines made the shadows all orange hued)

It's a good exercise for the sketch thread- have you considered posting it there?

Kathryn Wilson
09-13-2004, 02:23 PM
I did this same reference photo in oil pastels - I wound up using a deep burgundy for the shadows, with overtones of blue skimmed over the top. It was difficult, but well worth working on!

Cheena K
09-18-2004, 04:13 AM
Hi!!

Finally got down to some scumbling...it's still a WIP...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Sep-2004/34120-apple_still_life_02.gif

jackiesimmonds
09-18-2004, 06:27 AM
Cheena, I am amazed, you have come on wonderfully. Keep up the good work!
Jackie

Cheena K
09-18-2004, 07:01 AM
Thank you Jackie!!! you made my day :)

Khadres
09-18-2004, 07:44 AM
This is gorgeous already, Cheena! So nice and warm! You must've gotten some additional pastels! Good job!

Cheena K
09-18-2004, 08:05 AM
Thanks!!! I have purchased a new set, but it will arrive in november (got it shipped to a friend in Maryland), so till then I am using my teeny meeny li'l palette :) only!

This is gorgeous already, Cheena! So nice and warm! You must've gotten some additional pastels! Good job!

Paula Ford
09-18-2004, 09:58 AM
Hi Cheena!! This is wonderful!! :clap:

Paula

meowmeow
09-18-2004, 10:11 AM
Wow! The limited, warm palette works beautifully here. You are doing an excellent job! Good for you!!!

Sandy

bnoonan
09-18-2004, 09:38 PM
Well done Cheena - I agree with jackie - your work just grows in leaps and bounds.

one thought - is the apple that sits atop the others - could it have the left side shaved off ever so slightly? I'm thinking it's a bit "round".

Overall - a fabulous piece.

Barb

prestonsega
09-19-2004, 12:40 AM
Cheena...I am so proud of your progress....I remember your first post and even then you seemed so determined that I felt you would grow fast ,,,,just not this fast. This painting is wonderful! :clap: :clap: I can hardly wait for your friend to bring you your new pastels this Nov.

khourianya
09-19-2004, 11:36 AM
This has come so far! It's beautiful, Cheena! Absolutely beautiful!

I think I'll go have some apples now, I seem to be suddenly craving them :D

Cheena K
09-20-2004, 02:23 AM
Thank you all!!!

Thanks for pointing it out Barb, I fixed it :) Actually I saw it too, while I was posting, the errors pop out on screen...Will post the finished version tomorrow!

Thanks Preston! I am deperately waiting for her to arrive with my pastels!!
I give a lot of credit to you guys on WC!! for my progress, I wish I had found you all earlier!!
Thanks khourianya!

Cheena K
09-23-2004, 02:11 AM
Hi!! I usually do a disappearing act it seems :) Gathered some time to work on it a bit more...and here it is!!! Need to add some more shadows, does the apple on the left look okay? I think it's shape looks a bit odd...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Sep-2004/34120-an_apple_a_day.jpg

Kathryn Day
09-23-2004, 03:12 AM
Cheena,
I love the way you painted the pot. The apples are looking good enough to take a bite of.

tonii
09-25-2004, 07:29 AM
Hi Cheena,

Although I may not always contribute to all threads, I too do remember your initial works. You have come a long long way, & I think partly its because of your persistence & devotion in taking the time & effort to start on new pieces.

You have mastered the pot wonderfully! The texture speaks of clay, solidity & weight.

Love it...(& thanks for encouraging me to start on something new...)

Tanya :)

Cheena K
09-25-2004, 08:29 AM
Thanks Kathy!

Thanks Tanya...I really wish to paint more often, but life isn't always what one wishes for!! You should just get your gear out and get on to some scumbling, and make alteast one a week...I am sure you will love it!!