PDA

View Full Version : Can you tell what this is?

Lisa Olivarez
09-13-2004, 10:45 AM
HI, could you please critique this? all of my paintings are starting to look alike to me. that's gotta be a bad sign! this is about 8x12 on white colorfix paper. thanks a bunch Lisa :) http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Sep-2004/41640-morning.jpg

Deborah Secor
09-13-2004, 10:52 AM
Lisa, I know what you mean about all looking alike after a bit.

I perceive this one as the bank of a rusing stream with reflections of green and yellow foliage caught in the water. The red reads as grasses. I like the swiftness of the strokes and the overall looseness, but I'm distracted by the big round blue hole in the major green and yellow shape (tree!). It's the same size, shape and (almost) value as the accompanying blue bushy grasses in front of it. The upper right corner area looks unresolved yet, though I'm not suggesting details as much as giving it more consideration.

All in all I like this one and would noodle with it a little more if it were mine. :D

Deborah

Lisa Olivarez
09-13-2004, 11:38 AM
Thank-you, Dee. It's pathetically funny that there isn't a drop of water intended here LOL. It's a plein air study done quickly this morning in my back yard. The sun was spilling across the grass in the foreground and catching on this pink cloudy grass-gone-to-seed. I'll try again tomorrow morning, and keep working on this one. :wave:

Lisa :wave:

Deborah Secor
09-13-2004, 07:51 PM
Ooops. :o Hmmm. Sorry! I like it a lot anyway--and wonder in this case if it needs to be so completely explained..? And it could be a nice stream.... <watery grin>

It's like when my son walked into my studio when he was a youngster, turned his head sideways and asked, "What IS it, Mom?" Sure sign I needed to work on it a bit more. (Mine was a shadow covered barn.)

Deborah

Lisa Olivarez
09-13-2004, 10:57 PM
Ooops. :o Hmmm. Sorry! I like it a lot anyway--and wonder in this case if it needs to be so completely explained..? And it could be a nice stream.... <watery grin>

It's like when my son walked into my studio when he was a youngster, turned his head sideways and asked, "What IS it, Mom?" Sure sign I needed to work on it a bit more. (Mine was a shadow covered barn.)

Deborah

You know? I always wanted a stream on my property, even dug a couple 'a holes trying to find a spring. (my husband grumbled when he had to fill them in :rolleyes: )

And don't you worry one little bit, at least you didn't ask me when the due date was or some equal faux paux :D Lisa

Khadres
09-14-2004, 10:06 AM
Hmmm, I saw it as sunlit ground, but thought the red area was a sort of bank...what am I trying to say?...you know, a drop down from one level to the next of dirt...a "clifflette"...lol. Probably saw it that way because we've been looking at a LOT of red earth lately! Very rich colors in this and I like paintings when they're at this stage...it's such fun to "discover" things within them to define and explore. Wouldn't give up on it yet, that's for sure!

bnoonan
09-14-2004, 12:15 PM
Lisa,

I saw it as a landscape scene but nothing more descript than that and wasn't sure it needed to be. It's a lot of color and energy of strokes....

Barb

Lisa Olivarez
09-16-2004, 06:07 PM
HI Barb and Sooz,
It's always a balance thing, isn't it. I love paintings at the raw stage, before they become gelled, but just how far to go????I think with this sketch I'll just deal with the dark blue shape and call it a painting!
thanks, Lis

prestonsega
09-19-2004, 01:34 AM
In response to your question, No, I cannot make out what the subject is...and to be honest, I don't feel this to be one of your strongest works :( ( I still think back on the pinks used in those beautiful water scenes you painted while on vacation in Amish lands.)

Lisa Olivarez
09-19-2004, 09:32 AM
In response to your question, No, I cannot make out what the subject is...and to be honest, I don't feel this to be one of your strongest works :( ( I still think back on the pinks used in those beautiful water scenes you painted while on vacation in Amish lands.)

Preston, thank you so much for a politely honest negative opinion! Glad you like the other works and felt comfortable enough to nay-say this one. :)
It is kind of a jumble, although something about me likes it. Maybe with some work.......LIsa :wave: