PDA

View Full Version : Coffee Break! 9/13 - 9/19

designbyjen
09-13-2004, 09:11 AM
Mornin' y'all - welcome to the weekly chat thread in the Illustration Forum. Pull up a chair, grab your favorite beverage and tell us what's happening with you this week. If this is your first time joining us, this is the thread where you share your thoughts, dreams, challenges, woes with your neighbors across the world - so come on in and tell us about what's happening -

Grab a cuppa joe and here we go!
Last weeks thread for you partying weekenders:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=214338&page=2&pp=15
-------------------------------------------------------

when i picked art up i found my vase got a 3rd place award too. so, quite an exciting weekend.
other than that...i'll be outside the coffee shop hiding in a hole. anybody got a picture of a big turd that i can change my lil' picture moniker to?
~~~jen

TedDawson
09-13-2004, 09:26 AM
I was gonna post a picture of a big turd you could use but I figure it's best not to introduce politics into this forum :)

Congrats on the award! Is that a vase you've posted here before?

I just found out that my dumb ol' comic strip was up for some kind of award, but I've never heard of it. And I quit drawing it two years ago, so I have to wonder. Maybe it has to do with the book collection, which came out last month.

My wife's folks went for early retirement this year on a 42-foot sailboat they've been working on for the past twenty years. They got fenced in at Ft. Myers Beach. They've survived two hurricanes so far and are awaiting Ivan the Terrible.

Basically I've just been sitting around the past few days trying to figure out what I want to do when I grow up.

AFM159
09-13-2004, 04:51 PM
Hey gang!

I was gonna hang out for a bit and post to a bunch of threads before I went to pickup my son at daycare, but I just went to the bathroom and my fly busted! :eek:

So - I gotta run out to the house and change clothes - 'cause I ain't about to walk into that place with my fly open! :D

LOL

What good are we if we can't laugh at ourselves?

TedDawson
09-13-2004, 05:16 PM
I don't look forward to the day when my daughter will be horrified rather than excited about the prospect of having to go take a pee behind the tree at the creek, or when my little boy becomes aware that proper decorum dictates one pulls up one's pants prior to exiting the mens' room rather than after.

artbird
09-13-2004, 06:03 PM
Hi all,

Jen, you are on a roll! Enjoy!

Ted, I still don't know what I want to be when I grow up. I have been trying to decide for thirty something years now. Maybe I'll work it out before I reach 100.

Dave, hope you got your flies sorted out.

designbyjen
09-14-2004, 07:21 AM
ted, ya...is the circular vase i had on here b-4.
kids...mine are all into bugs. last week my husband told me they found an either freshly dead or almost dead ciccada. the older one 'named' it. i guess it came to a point where the younger one wanted to hold it longer while the older wanted a turn...so jake took off & there was a heated chase. my husband said, 'and of course, jake is running with Fists Clenched'. end of story.
yesterday jake was herding big black crickets w/ a stick. well, at least at this point i don't have to worry about him 'getting more protein'.
aw dave, duct tape does wonders & so fashionable too. any of you fans of the canadian 'red-green show'?
~~~jen

AFM159
09-14-2004, 11:37 AM
LOL - my wife wanted to know what I was doing so vigorously that my fly broke! :eek: :angel:

I dread when my kids get "into" bugs. I hate bugs, they give me the heebie-jeeebies. Turtles, frogs, spiders, and snakes, I can handle, but bugs? No thankyou.

Actually, I am quite fasinated by bugs, as long as I can see them coming. It's just that they have an uncanny ability to sneek up on me!

Just Crystal
09-14-2004, 01:37 PM
I used to hate bugs with a passion. (having 6 kids who think it is funny to throw bugs on each other) At this point, I would be happy with their bug fascination. My 3 year old just came up to me today and said "these worms don't taste like candy" and spit out a chewed up yucky worm!

Axl
09-14-2004, 06:29 PM
I just started school this week. Its been realy nuts. I'll probbaly go off about it in a little bit. But I just came back from my first Illustration course.

It sounds like its going to be really awesome, the guys a real pro and knows a lot. I think it'll be one of my favourite courses this semester.

Only one thing that gets me right now.

What is 5 pt perspective????

See I knew i've be missing something if they skipped me ahead through foundation drawing. argh!

hmmm.... :confused: :confused: :confused:

TedDawson
09-14-2004, 07:27 PM
Five-point perspective uses a circle. You can imagine the front half of a globe with the lattitude lines from the poles, but then there are "poles" on the left and right too with the same kinds of lines...and then a point in the center. I don't know what the practical aspect of this is, unless it's to create the same effect you get with a fish-eye camera lens.

I miss my school days at the Seattle art institute. Cool people. It makes a difference to be around other creative types, and I must say we're a minority judging from my earthly travels. Now if all we did was associate with other flaky types, we'd all be in trouble, I'll be first to admit. But I miss being in a creative work environment. At some point I'd like to buy an old building downtown and make it a group home.. I mean, collective art studio.

Been a long day. There's no smiley for that.

AFM159
09-15-2004, 12:15 AM
Ahhhh...5pt perspective......It's the kind of thing that MC Escher made famous. Extremely technical. As I recall, it's a very scientific approach to explain how we see and what we are seeing. However, I don't currently see a practical use either, but that's just my admitedly limited understanding. I didn't see a practical use for fractals either, but now they are using them in high end computer animation and modeling, go figure.

Perspective is all mathmatic (fractals too, but I haven't really read any on that so I can't really elaborate). Essentially, perspective is the scientific or mathmatic method by which you can plot points on a two dimentional plane to represent a three dimentional world, first made famous by Albrecht Durer, in what? the 15th century, I think.

Classical perspective encompasses one, two, and three point perspective, with two point being the most common, as it most accuratly depicts how our brain interprets what our eyes show us.

5 pt perspective is more like what is passing thru our eyes before our brain interprets it. Your eye is round and takes in light from many directions and focuses it on your retinae which is also curved. If you stand close enough to any object, say a building, with parallel lines, the roundness of your eye begins to take over and the lines appear curved instead of straight. Escher pioneered this and introduced us to curved perspective. The further away you are from that extreme view, the straighter the lines appear, till they are nearly straight as we see in classical perspective.

What Escher found is that vanishing points are relative to your viewpoint. If you look down a set of rail road tracks the parrallel lines of the tracks appear to vanish in one direction, but if you shift your focus, or your viewpoint they then vanish in another direction as well. Escher found a way to depict all this information at one time in one picture. He, of course, explored this theme extensively in his work. And as I recall, he stopped at what is called cylindrical perspective. From what I understand, he considered other forms of perspective as well, but didn't use them.

So, 5pt takes perspective a few points beyond what Escher was doing and shows us how a fisheye, or spherical perspective effect works.

Thats about the best I can come up with right now, it's late and I'm tired, my brain is turning to sludge. Here's a link that explains it better than I do: http://www.termespheres.com/perspective.html

When I was studying perspective, I only gave a cursory look at anything beyond 3 point perspective, as the images begin to get too distorted to have real application to what I do, in fact, I have often argued that 3point perspective is too distorted for most applications to be practical for the common viewer. A curved two point perspective can have use, IF it is treated subtlely. If not, the average viewer just doesn't get it and you lose them.

Axl
09-15-2004, 12:30 AM
Ahhhh...5pt perspective......It's the kind of thing that MC Escher made famous. Extremely technical. As I recall, it's a very scientific approach to explain how we see and what we are seeing. However, I don't currently see a practical use either, but that's just my admitedly limited understanding. I didn't see a practical use for fractals either, but now they are using them in high end computer animation and modeling, go figure.

Perspective is all mathmatic (fractals too, but I haven't really read any on that so I can't really elaborate). Essentially, perspective is the scientific or mathmatic method by which you can plot points on a two dimentional plane to represent a three dimentional world, first made famous by Albrecht Durer, in what? the 15th century, I think.

Classical perspective encompasses one, two, and three point perspective, with two point being the most common, as it most accuratly depicts how our brain interprets what our eyes show us.

5 pt perspective is more like what is passing thru our eyes before our brain interprets it. Your eye is round and takes in light from many directions and focuses it on your retinae which is also curved. If you stand close enough to any object, say a building, with parallel lines, the roundness of your eye begins to take over and the lines appear curved instead of straight. Escher pioneered this and introduced us to curved perspective. The further away you are from that extreme view, the straighter the lines appear, till they are nearly straight as we see in classical perspective.

What Escher found is that vanishing points are relative to your viewpoint. If you look down a set of rail road tracks the parrallel lines of the tracks appear to vanish in one direction, but if you shift your focus, or your viewpoint they then vanish in another direction as well. Escher found a way to depict all this information at one time in one picture. He, of course, explored this theme extensively in his work. And as I recall, he stopped at what is called cylindrical perspective. From what I understand, he considered other forms of perspective as well, but didn't use them.

So, 5pt takes perspective a few points beyond what Escher was doing and shows us how a fisheye, or spherical perspective effect works.

Thats about the best I can come up with right now, it's late and I'm tired, my brain is turning to sludge. Here's a link that explains it better than I do: http://www.termespheres.com/perspective.html

When I was studying perspective, I only gave a cursory look at anything beyond 3 point perspective, as the images begin to get too distorted to have real application to what I do, in fact, I have often argued that 3point perspective is too distorted for most applications to be practical for the common viewer. A curved two point perspective can have use, IF it is treated subtlely. If not, the average viewer just doesn't get it and you lose them.

:eek:

I'll be sure to post whatever it is i come up with :rolleyes: :( :confused: :p

Thanx for your help you guys! eep

designbyjen
09-15-2004, 09:34 AM
ha! what happens if you're inspired by escher, but a math idiot?....ME.
i remember in college, the I.D. teacher taking a liking to me cuz i got excited about doing stuff (pushing the envelope) but wasn't keen on figuring out the technical stuff. i remember when we were doing shadows & everybody else picks ordinary stuff--but ding-dong me picks a freak'in umbrella! i ended up making some of it up cuz i just couldn't figure it out. he noticed, but rewarded me for trying.
so i've always held onto a love 4 escher, but morphed into a 'puzzle piecer' artist, instead. no math...just mak'in the stuff fit!
ted, i live w/ in walking distance of a one way circle, that's got shops in the middle of the circle. it seems there's always one not in business & i'd soooo love to have a group studio there.
my husband's cousin is part of a new artist's community in urbanna, ohio--of course, just far enough away to be too far---now that would be a rich environment!
well...for now we'll all just all have to enrich eachother here...
~~~jen

coolray
09-15-2004, 12:12 PM
Morning all. *grabs a fresh hot cuppa joe.* Well, I'm just getting around to easing up so I can go at it again! Sorry I couldn't get here earlier in the week, but I had to finish a painting. And it's done!!! I shall post it here just for your enjoyment.

Sounds like everyone has been busy! Axl, glad you're in school and, er, havin fun! LOL. I can't wait until they teach you 9 point perspective! ROTFL (jk, ain't no such thang.)

I take it, that kids are kinda on our minds this week. I took mine home Sunday. I am not fairing well with the idea that she wants to get her driving permitt in two months. I was just changing diapers on her yesterday! My how they grow. *gulps coffee to rid the thought of boyfriends* ANYWAY.....

I am now confirmed to do 6 new paintings stemming off of the Last Supper painting that I did recently. They will all go into print as they get finished. Traveling is online for next year to promote the paintings.

Also I am designing Popcorn lables for a company who is doing carmel popcorn and other flavors. Ever have blueberry popcorn? I have. (this could ruin my 23pound weight loss!)

And still yet, on Friday, I am meeting to get a big mural promotion started. I don't know where this will take me, but it could get big!

Well, that's it mostly. But here is the painting that I just finished. I hope you enjoy it.

Kathryn Wilson
09-15-2004, 10:37 PM
Anybody for a late night cuppa latte or good ol' joe - been up late working on some auctions I am getting ready to put up on Artbyus - just a lot of front work to get it on the first time, then from there it will be clear sailing.

Jen - congrats on the vase!

Ted - ditto here, still trying to figure out what to do with the rest of my life. I wanna be a gypsy and travel the country and see everything and everybody, then settle down somewhere. Wouldn't that be a plein air trip to beat all plein air trips.

My mom's in Fort Myers and it looks like they beat Ivan - but then we gotta think about Jean. Shucks, when's it going to end!

AFM159
09-17-2004, 02:14 PM
I wanna be an Artist when I grow up! :p :evil: heee heee heee. Now, ya'll come on over to the Debate Forum and help define what that is! :eek:

Once again, it's Friday. Thinkin', I've not had any BBQ in a week or two, and it's lunch time. A man's gotta eat.

Ya'll have a good weekend, if'n I don't make it back on the boards till Monday or so.

Axl
09-17-2004, 02:33 PM
I wanna be an Artist when I grow up! :p :evil: heee heee heee. Now, ya'll come on over to the Debate Forum and help define what that is! :eek:

Eeep the debate forum? Posting in there wa a mistake I've definately learnt from :D

AFM159
09-17-2004, 03:37 PM
sheesh - I said I was going and here I am still lurking around. :rolleyes:

The debate forum is a beast, to be sure, but if you're carefull you can survive without too much gnashing of teeth. :D

I make it a point to stay out of political threads. It's a funny forum though that offten goes into tangent, word definition, and one liners. I find it......hummmm.......interesting. :evil:

OK - this time, I'm outa here, I'm gone.

See ya'll on the flip side! :cool:

designbyjen
09-17-2004, 06:38 PM
HEY AXL...nice change! b.t.w. when is that tattoo gonna be done?

hey terry...nice job on the painting...how big was that? do you work mostly on larger sizes? i love blueberry anything, so i think i'd be in trouble too. what i hate is this rowing machine sitting around & getting no use :eek:

what blows me away is my newsmongering husband coming home each day & telling me the new hurricanes that are way off & newly forming. yes, when will it end?

bbq? did anyone know that dave is a grill fanatic? hey...i bet you got some killer recipes...if you get time...share your fav. one of these days i promise to type in that one for 'beef w/ thai dipping sauce' that really rocks (course maybe you already know it!)

my neighbor from across the street came over to ask if i was 'okay' yesterday, cuz she never sees me anymore! i'm at the inner bottom of a loop & my garage doesn't face her so i told her i've been in the garage for months doing art. ha ha...i used to do more gardening but no weeds have popped up & got nothing to plant so that's what she's used to seeing me do. geez, i'm glad she noticed i was 'missing'. terry, you'll be having the same problem here soon!

well, we are doing a 'family night' thing & i think all the boys are erecting a huge train track system in the liv. room so i should go investigate & do some snacks,

have a good'n
~~~jen