PDA

View Full Version : Boats at dusk

Arnold Lowrey
09-13-2004, 04:56 AM
This is a full sheet sot pastel painted on grey Canson Mi-Tientes paper
it was painted as a demonstation in a course at Urchfont Manor, Wiltshire, UK
Only 3 pastel colours have been used - light, midtone and dark.
To get the atmosphere and backlighting I concentrated on getting the sillouette of the boat group as powerful as I could using extremes of light against dark.
A variety of edge qualities are also important and stitch the shapes together. The inside details of the boat shape don't matter a damn as the viewr will thank you for putting them in themselves
It was done fairly quickly and i had a lot of fun doing it
Hope you like it
Arnold

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Sep-2004/47691-Boats_at_dusk,_pastel_copy.jpg

khourianya
09-13-2004, 08:40 AM
Wow - what a mood you have set with this piece. It almost feels like the day is ending, but everyone is on edge because a nasty storm is a-brewin'. Gives me shivers...

I really like this piece Arnold. you have conveyed so much using just those three tones.

K Taylor-Green
09-13-2004, 11:07 AM
Wow! So totally different from what I usually see when I open one of your threads. But yet, the drama is the same. Love it!!

Arnold Lowrey
09-13-2004, 12:12 PM
Thanks, I had a lot of fun doing it
Arnold

binkie
09-13-2004, 02:07 PM
Oh Arnold, this is fabulous!!!!!! If I start saving my pennies can I come to the UK and take lessons from you? :)

gwen

SweetBabyJ
09-13-2004, 02:22 PM
Well done- interesting use of compositional elements

Einharjar
09-13-2004, 04:44 PM
Great work arnold! ur paintings have such atmosphere...
i love all the stuff i have seen of urs
Sam

Pinecone Conniff
09-13-2004, 07:35 PM
I really think this piece is awesome!! Love the drama captured so simply but in a very powerful way!! :clap:
Annette

Paula Ford
09-13-2004, 09:25 PM
Absolutely FABULOUS!!

Paula

chatfieldstudios
09-13-2004, 11:25 PM
Very dramatic and moody....love it!

prestonsega
09-13-2004, 11:38 PM
dramatic unexpected piece of work,,,,,very nice!

IndigoRed
09-19-2004, 11:41 PM
Theres so much life! I love greyscale work always have always will.....when i look at things that are in full color all i see is values....which is probably why i stick mostly to greyscale or monochrome paintings......here is the last thing i did in pastel using only three pastels..........your painting is vecy inspiring
thank you!

I hope these turned out well on here, they may be a bit fuzzy one is half finished the other is finished.........i hope you dont mind me posting this with your beautiful work :o

bnoonan
09-20-2004, 03:01 PM
Superb - Just a reminder how even a little bit of color can carry so much weight and mood to it. It makes me remember how much I like black and white photographs for the same reason.

Your loose strokes and strong contrasts are just magic here.

Thanks for sharing.

Barb

Diyart
09-21-2004, 07:41 AM
Great work .. thank you for that posts...this must be a pain in the neck for
all color producers.. :clap: :clap:

Arnold, I don`t want to get too personal, but itīs great to have you here !

Martin

Nodosaurus
09-21-2004, 01:27 PM
I really like those boats. Its really an eye-catching work.

I'm working on those inside details you left out. I see a galley with a big chocolate souffle, and... wait. Now I'm getting hungry...

Thanks for sharing this work.

Mikki Petersen
09-22-2004, 03:00 PM
Your students must have been spellbound as this painting came to life. I love the power in the technique. Beautiful!