PDA

View Full Version : Lets see your inspiration and your beads!

nilaya
09-12-2004, 09:51 PM
Hi Everyone :)
After recent (or is that constant? :wink2: ) discussion about copying..I got to thinking about sources of inspiration. While I love looking at other peoples beads..I guess its a potentially dubious way to get inspired. I found a few paintings i really liked...and decided to make beads modelled on what i got from the paintings (shapes..colours..etc) I was hoping other people out there had pics of beads they had made and pics of whatever inspired them :) (art..nature..photos.fabric..anything but other peoples beads!)

Heres what i came up with based on this gorgeous painting of Koi by Barbara Psimas. Join in..show your inspiration! :D

Lorretta :)

Orca
09-12-2004, 09:58 PM
AAAAHHHHH........beautiful!!!

AMR GlassWorks
09-12-2004, 10:22 PM
Wow! Those are great!! Here is my inspiration for my newest chintz series. I love chintzware so I tried to put it in a bead. :D

nilaya
09-12-2004, 10:26 PM
ooooh!! I LOVE those Anne :clap: Very shabby chic! (love the chintzware too) What a cool idea for inspiration!

Jamn!
09-12-2004, 11:31 PM
Oh Yummy yummy!! Those are really lovely beads!

I have been really focused on making beads with different designs and I haven't been taking very many pics.. :wave: Maybe I can post pics by next week! :wink2:

Nonie
09-12-2004, 11:41 PM
wow! gorgeous beads!

firemonkey
09-12-2004, 11:51 PM
Loretta, you've beautifully captured the soft watery effect.
And Anne, you know how I feel about your beads... these may be my favorites of yours.
I tend to get a lot of my inspiration from antiquities-especially those with pattern work. These beads were made after I saw a close up of some chinese bronze vessels.

MegannsMom
09-13-2004, 12:21 AM
Wow! Those are great!! Here is my inspiration for my newest chintz series. I love chintzware so I tried to put it in a bead. :D

I always love all the beautiful work that I see on WC, and of course there is always that occasion when my jaw ACTUALLY drops.....this was one of those times. HOW ON EARTH DID YOU DO THAT?!! Those are stunning! They look too beautiful to be real.....yet I know that they are! Fantastic work, great job, gorgeous beads....I could go on and on and on......
~Cindy

Sassyglassgal
09-13-2004, 12:33 AM
Awesome beads, and I am in shock at how beautiful the water colored ones are, of course I love chinz Ann and the antiquity beads are amazing....way to go!!!! :clap: :clap:

AMR GlassWorks
09-13-2004, 06:43 AM
Thanks ya'll! Holly your beads always amaze me!! If only ya'll could see these her little gems in person your jaws would be dropping also! :D

therezeann
09-13-2004, 07:32 AM
Inspirations and beads are breath taking....just beautiful! I believe it is the journey that matters! Apparently, the journey taken here was a very lovely one!!!! Wow! :clap:

Cindy D.
09-13-2004, 07:39 AM
This is a really great thread - loved seeing the 'inspiration' and the results!! Absolutely lovely everyone!

Onalee
09-13-2004, 07:55 AM
Wow, Loretta, these beads are gorgeous. What a great idea to use your favorite things for inspiration. I'll have to look around. Love oriental and you really captured it. Ann, I'm a china painter so can't help but be excited with your beads. And the beads made to simulate old bronze vessels are just too earthy and beautiful not to admire. Thanks for showing them. Onalee

Virginia L.
09-13-2004, 02:32 PM

I have one!!!!!!!!!! YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!! snagged it at dinner :evil: Made such a fuss about it, no-one had the nerve to swipe it :wink2: I LOVE IT!!! Beautiful set, beautiful style -
BEAUTIFUL BEADS, Holly and Loretta!!! wonderful adaptations of your inspiration!!!

God Bless - Virginia :wave: :D :clap: :clap: :clap:

AMR GlassWorks
09-13-2004, 02:45 PM
I'm really glad you like it Virginia! I'm really sorry we didn't get to talk longer at dinner but I was very glad you got to make it there!! David's talking about selling everything and moving up there after seeing the pics I took!! :D

dogmaw
09-13-2004, 03:04 PM
Here is my inspiration picture for the day. I'm going to try and make beads with these lovely brown/black/white combos, where it doesn't look muddy. That is the hard part for me.

Jo

nilaya
09-13-2004, 04:53 PM
Those are gorgeous! Holly...I love the antique pattern work :D

Heres another one im working on...(i dig asian art..lol) Ive only done the test beads so far..so no nice photo...but it gives some idea of where im heading.

NYCindy
09-13-2004, 05:42 PM
Inspiration comes from alot of places - just things I love and try to translate to a bead. There's Picasso of course and then there's the blue and white china (I have Flow Blue pieces from my great Aunt) and then for really GREAT inspiration, there's my great nephew!!! :-)

Vaverska
09-13-2004, 08:30 PM
What a nice idea for a thread Loretta! :) Especially with some of the more "negative" toned ones that seem prevalent lately. I get my inspiration on the fly...passing a field of flowers, from a billboard, the sweater of a lady at the Doctors office,etc....you get the idea! So I don't really have photos, besides Nature is my biggest inspiration! Like my Yummy-Ummy Blackberries...I attempted them after cooking up some cobbler...I really loved the rich purpley-red color...Perfect for jewelry! I first thought to use the color, but then thought to use the whole "look". After all...good enough for God, good enough for me! LOL

Tarie
09-13-2004, 08:40 PM
This thread is further proof that this is the best glass forum- EVER. I LOVE the Koi! :clap: The Teacups just Rock and I am finally catching on! Everyday objects are inspiration. I know you are wondering if I have rocks in my head, :wink2: but I seriously never thought of using everyday objects for inspiration. I used photographs, etc, but am now onto a new way to look at art. I lurk here every chance I get and just wanted to throw my thoughts into the ring.

Thanks! :wave:

Jan.C
09-14-2004, 04:12 AM
Great inspirational Pics. and beads, amazing what can eventuate. :clap:
This bead was inspired by the colours of the MacDonnell Ranges, Central Australia. Moretti old coral/new coral/EDP/touch cobalt.
Jan

Becky Mason
09-14-2004, 10:37 AM
Loretta, Your Koi beads are truly lovely. So original and delicate looking. You have done a great job capturing not only the visual of the picture that you used as inspiration, but the "feel" of the picture as well. Great job!!! :clap:

Annie, You continue to amaze me with the stunning beads you come up with. You are one talented lady!

Holly, I am blown away by your patina beads. OMG. Those are just fabulous. I will admit with some guilt :evil: that I have printed this picture and will try to figure out how you did these. If I'm successful, I'll be wearing a bracelet made with this style of bead. :D

Jo, I get the willies just looking at the picture of the spider that you are going to use for inspiration. I wouldn't be able to go near my studio if I ever saw something like that. OK, I admit it, I'm a classic Arachnaphobic.

Cindy, Your Picasso bead is totally COOL!! :cool:

Carrie, Even though the picture is quite blurry, your blackberry looks yummy.

Jan, Wow, are the colors in that mountain range really like that? No wonder you took that as inspiration for your lovely bead.

OK, here are my 2 offerings.

The first is a picture of my darling cat Keiki, wearing a set of beads on her head that were inspired by her colors, black, white, and cat eye green (Vetrofond Ochre) She actually sat there as still as a statue with the beads on her head while I took her picture, but she doesn't look too happy, does she?

The second set is my Al E. Gatorskin set. I first developed this design about 5 months ago, and they have been very popular with my bead clients and my jewelry clients. I've included a picture of the inspiration. The beads actually remind me of shoes and a handbag that my grandmother had back in the 1960's when alligator skin accessories were extremely popular. I kind of like the glass variety of accessories better.

Becky

Virginia L.
09-14-2004, 10:45 AM
Loretta, Your Koi beads are truly lovely. So original and delicate looking. You have done a great job capturing not only the visual of the picture that you used as inspiration, but the "feel" of the picture as well. Great job!!! :clap:

Annie, You continue to amaze me with the stunning beads you come up with. You are one talented lady!

Holly, I am blown away by your patina beads. OMG. Those are just fabulous. I will admit with some guilt :evil: that I have printed this picture and will try to figure out how you did these. If I'm successful, I'll be wearing a bracelet made with this style of bead. :D

Jo, I get the willies just looking at the picture of the spider that you are going to use for inspiration. I wouldn't be able to go near my studio if I ever saw something like that. OK, I admit it, I'm a classic Arachnaphobic.

Cindy, Your Picasso bead is totally COOL!! :cool:

Carrie, Even though the picture is quite blurry, your blackberry looks yummy.

Jan, Wow, are the colors in that mountain range really like that? No wonder you took that as inspiration for your lovely bead.

OK, here are my 2 offerings.

The first is a picture of my darling cat Keiki, wearing a set of beads on her head that were inspired by her colors, black, white, and cat eye green (Vetrofond Ochre) She actually sat there as still as a statue with the beads on her head while I took her picture, but she doesn't look too happy, does she?

The second set is my Al E. Gatorskin set. I first developed this design about 5 months ago, and they have been very popular with my bead clients and my jewelry clients. I've included a picture of the inspiration. The beads actually remind me of shoes and a handbag that my grandmother had back in the 1960's when alligator skin accessories were extremely popular. I kind of like the glass variety of accessories better.

Becky

I am sitting very still and quiet, mommmmmmmmmm, cause I just realized, you have LOST IT, completely!!! and I am not sure what else you might do!!!
In doing so, I HOPE to regain whatever Cat Dignity and Pride I may, or may NOT ever be able to regain :mad: :cat: ......................... :wink2:

Becky Mason
09-14-2004, 10:54 AM
Virginia,

That cracked me up. :D :cat:

Believe you me, Keiki has WAY yoo much dignity and pride, and all of the typical cat"ish" pomp she needs. I'm sure in her own special way, she's getting me back for this picture. Every Saturday morning when she stands on my chest at 6:30 am and starts talking to me is one way she's getting even - ARGHHHH.

Becky

jujeebeads
09-14-2004, 11:37 AM
Pretty much anything that has to do with the ocean inspires me. Animals, colors, everything!
here are two of my critters including photos of the real animal taken by me in Cozumel a few weeks ago.
The Splendid Toadfish and a Spotfin Butterfly fish

Peg
09-14-2004, 12:04 PM
I am sitting here still laughing at Keiki. Really struck my funny bone. Everyones beads were wonderful, but nothing can beat Keiki's look. Peg M

CalmWaterStudio
09-14-2004, 05:09 PM
Silly as this may seem... this cat is THE inspiration for all of my cat beads... we dress this cat up in every kind of imaginable costume! She's spoiled rotten and even drinks from a bottle when she's a "baby."

Becky Mason
09-14-2004, 05:13 PM
Gigi,

You Boots looks like she has the same coloring as my Keiki. Black with white belly, white chin and white feet?

Becky

CalmWaterStudio
09-14-2004, 05:17 PM
Yep! Black, white and adorable! I was NEVER a "cat person" before... but, the way this cat is with my little girl has changed my mind completely!! We love our Boots!

Becky Mason
09-14-2004, 09:25 PM
Gigi,

Like you, my DH used to dislike cats. Then about 4 years ago we took in a stray that was living in our back yard. She was a tiny little emaciated black kitten that had been almost killed by a raccoon, and he felt sorry for her. It didn't take him 10 minutes with her and he was hopelessly in love with cats. Now we have 2 cats, the one from the back yard who is solid black (Jet) and the black and white one in my inspriation pciture (Keiki). Keiki was left in a box at our vet's office when she was about 5 weeks old, so we couldn't resist. They are both wonderful cats and such different personalities.

We also have 2 dogs who were adopted from the Humane Society, so all 4 of our animals are rescue animals. We wouldn't have it any other way. It is almost like they know how lucky they are and they are grateful for it.

By the way, your cat bead in the above picture is absolutely adorable! My 16 year old neice who has 4 or 5 cats herself would love go nuts over that bead. I need to try making her a cat bead. New inspiration. Thanks!

Becky

margaretz
09-15-2004, 04:10 AM
What a cool thread!!! One bead style I've made for a while and have revisited recently are inspired by stained cells viewed under a microscope.
This is one picture I just found on the web that kind of illustrates what I was after... the slide is of starch grains in a bean.

nilaya
09-15-2004, 04:27 AM
Everyones beads are fantastic..its so cool to see where people get there inspiration from too! Hopefully it will be food for thought for those times we feel creatively...constipated. ;)
Margaret..love the top beads in the ink blue. gorgeous!

CalmWaterStudio
09-15-2004, 07:38 AM
Margaret.. your beads are always just SO awesome! YOU are one of my inspirations!!!!!

Bead Safari
09-15-2004, 11:03 AM
This thread is So-o-o- great! :clap:

I am inspired by a variety of things, but the lichen on an oak branch caught me lately. When I found the original inspiration branch on the deck the lichen was day glow orange and yellow!! I took it into my bench, and made the beads. Then, of course in the room with the hot kiln, the torch, and the summer texas heat, the branch faded to dull grey.

I went out this morning to the back yard, and all the lichen now is grey-green - another inspiration in the making. So, the photo is of todays branch, last weeks beads - but you get the idea. I'm still playing with it.
I am also making oak leaf drops to go with the lichen "stems".

Helen Simon
09-15-2004, 11:47 AM
I'm in awe!!
Here's mine...same as Anne's inspiration...Love, Helen

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=462&item=3748224411&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

silverstone6
09-15-2004, 11:58 PM
What a great thread! I just have to jump in with yet another cat inspired set of beads. Inspired by my brown tabby Zeus, whose colouring I have always thought was beautiful. (by the way, I have also done some black and white beads based on our little black and white tuxedo cat Sheba, who looks a lot like some of the cats in this thread.)

Susan W. in Calgary

Juls
09-16-2004, 12:03 AM
:clap: :clap:

What an awesome thread!

This picture (Orion Nebula 04) begged to be a bead...one of those beads I wish I had kept.

hugs~
~Juls

Moth
09-16-2004, 01:35 AM
Awesome thread!!!

I just had to post because a while back, I also took some inspiration from a Hubble shot of orion nebula.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Sep-2004/24464-hubbleo.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Sep-2004/24464-hubble1o.JPG

~~Mary

AlaskaBarb
09-16-2004, 01:47 AM
Holly, those verdigris beads are fab -- they look very much like a turquoise-frit and bronze bracelet my mom got 50 years ago while working in Chichen Itza. super neat-o.

Ann, those chintz beads look like impressionist oils. Very soft and painterly. The pink especially look sort of pearlized.
B

AlaskaBarb
09-16-2004, 01:54 AM
An uair as laine 'n cupan, 's ann as dorr' a ghiulan.

and easier to spill. I loved your last proverb about the gold dust.

---
Those galaxy pics were astounding. The first time I saw the pic of the Eagle Nebula, I couldn't believe it was real. The beads are great -- make some more!

B

beachbeads
09-16-2004, 04:40 AM
What a cool thread!!! One bead style I've made for a while and have revisited recently are inspired by stained cells viewed under a microscope.
This is one picture I just found on the web that kind of illustrates what I was after... the slide is of starch grains in a bean.
you have to love this woman.....I didn't look at the name before I read the post and knew it was her immediatley. All her "microscope images on beads "are amazing! Yep, she's one of my hero's! Sheila

Zonnestraaltje
09-16-2004, 10:09 AM
Gazing up through the trees........

margaretz
09-16-2004, 11:06 AM
Gigi and Sheila- Thanks!! S- I'm a hero?!? (blush) Don't know about that... neighborhood nerd and glass freak, yes. hero, no.

It's so great to see where we all find our inspiration... and sometimes I end up making beads that resemble things in my daily life without realizing I've incorporated them into my beads. And remembering to find inspiration keeps me lookin' at the world in different ways... I've written "find inspiration in unlikely places" in a few strategic spots- several in my studio, in my appointment book, on the computer, etc.... keeps me huntin'!

fay
09-16-2004, 03:56 PM
Wow! I love this thread. Everyone has such awesome beads to go with their inspirations.

I was hunting around the net looking for pictures of Halloween items...like dracula and frankenstein and I came across this tin of cookies. So, I had to make a set..okay two sets...one for Beadfest and one for the bay. They are fun to make and deliciously spoooooooky! :D

Becky Mason
09-16-2004, 06:09 PM
Fay - Your Halloween cookie beads are wonderful!! They look good enough to eat. Wish I could get into making Halloween beads. I made them last year for a few of my customers as a special request, and hated every minute of it. I adore looking at them, but I can't stand making them. I wonder why that is. I'm the same way with 4th of July, Valentine's Day and nearly as bad with Christmas. I can't figure why, so I quite trying to figure.

Take care and I can't wait to see you at one of our upcoming ISGB meetings.

Becky

GardenGirl1002
09-16-2004, 08:47 PM
This is an amazing thread! I love seeing where everyone gets their inspiration. I look through all kinds of pics for inspiration, and I even get some from every day things too - just like all of you, I suppose.

I wanted to say, for the people using space images for their inspiration, you may want to look at this guys site. His pictures are just amazing. I purchased some recently for my brother for a christmas gift
www.galacticimages.com (http://www.galacticimages.com)
So much inspiration here too!
Wonderful beads all... just jaw -dropping. I have too many favorites out of this bunch to even pick just one! Keep them coming!

Seeley
09-16-2004, 10:32 PM
I've been interested in trying to use some nature in my work. Im trying to get the feel of the monarch without duplicating the exact shape and look, more of a impressionistic approach.

This is a very cool thread, I love seeing everyones inspirations.

Tom

Becky Mason
09-16-2004, 11:27 PM
Tom - your monarchish beads are beautiful. You've definitely captured the essence of the monarch without duplicating the exact pattern.

Becky

!ngridh
09-17-2004, 12:11 AM
I think your interpretation hits the mark...lovely beads.

GardenGirl1002
09-17-2004, 09:32 AM
I just had to respond to tell you, Tom, that I just looovee your Monarch beads!! Just gorgeous.
Here's my monarch set that I made about a month ago when I was inspired when one flitted through my yard - this was kind of my "rough draft" set. I still love yours better!

Seeley
09-17-2004, 11:35 AM
Thank you Kristen, !ngridh, and Becky. Your replies to my post mean a lot to me. I frequently don't get feedback on my work, and its nice to hear. Hope you all have a good weekend.

Keep Flamin!

Tom

nilaya
09-17-2004, 06:07 PM
Isnt it amazing how the same thing can inspire totally different beads! Both Monarch sets are just gorgeous :clap:

Amozoo
09-17-2004, 10:18 PM
Wow! This is a great thread. I love seeing peoples' inspirations. so here's one of mine.

Seeley
09-18-2004, 09:51 AM
Bad Tom, I feel rotten for not responding to everyone's work so here we go.

Kristen - I disagree I really like the broken pattern and symetry of you monarch there are great.
Margaret - As you already know by PM OMG! your work is great, my new hero.
Lyn - I like your idea and wish I could see the beads closer, can you get a close up shot to add, they look very cool.
Helen - Great colors I've neve done florals but that makes me want to give it a try.
Susan - Way cool zebras did you marver those shapes? They are so perfect.
Moth - Great idea I like the colors you used and esp. want the windowed one...can I give you my address to mail it ASAP :D
Rachel - WOW! the green pillows look like emeralds. What did you use for frit? I like the wispy feel and deep greens to it.
Fay - FUN FUN FUN.
Nilaya - Great.. they have great depth. Great clean lines.
Gigi - nice contempary kitty.
Judy - wow you nailed them.
Becky - Man am I pissed I've been trying to do those for some time and you got em down!
Jan - Great colors.
Vaverska - They are really nice on my computer its hard to see them well, the look fuazzy but the detail seems excellant.
Cindy - If I could only make dots like those...sigh.
Loretta - Man what can I say... They are perfect.
Anne - sam as Loretta i give it a 9.9 (we can't use 10's in international competition anymore)
Holly - Please please please please please share with me your technique for those. I have a few children I can trade, but they don't clean house :(
Really if you would be wiling to share.

*note I take no responsibility for typos or mispellings due to the fact I stink at typing and can't spell.