PDA

View Full Version : Woman Nude

Newberry
09-12-2004, 09:04 PM
Hello, I thought you might enjoy this quick work in progress. It was a 3-hour project with Kimberly, the model.

Newberry
09-12-2004, 09:05 PM

binkie
09-12-2004, 10:19 PM
Thanks so much for sharing each phase as you work. It is shaping up to be a fabulous painting. :clap: I hope you will continue to share as you work on it.

gwen

SweetBabyJ
09-12-2004, 11:00 PM
Strong exacting figure work, Michael- nice to see you here again. I've asked this post to be moved to the soft pastel forum so more people can view the work- it is exceptionally strong and an interesting technique.

bellasmiiles
09-12-2004, 11:27 PM
Now I want to learn pastel :evil:

Khadres
09-12-2004, 11:46 PM
Really cool! Very nice treatment here, but I always wonder, with poses like this, how that poor woman held her arms up like that for long enough to be sketched...please say you photo'd the pose and worked from that! :D

Love the harmonious colors and the glowing quality of the light too!

emmachester
09-13-2004, 12:08 AM
I love to see things that I haven't seen before, and this fits the bill. Excellent concept and great execution.

Good work.

Sherry

Newberry
09-13-2004, 08:13 AM
I love posting on wetcanvas, its exciting to see the thoughtful and supportive comments.

Gwen- The model is off to Europe for awhile, so I think the pieces is done--which I don't mind if I don't see some disasterously off.

Thanks J, I saw "soft pastels" and I will post there in the future.

Sure Cheryl.

Khadres--I don't work from photos, real life for me! Yes the model had to hold up her arms! But we kept the posing, over the 3 hours, to many short stints, the longest of those was about 4 minutes but the average was propably about 2.

Thank you Sherry for seeing something unique in it. For a couple of weeks I had been disgusted by an aesthetic dialog I had been having with a philosopher on another site. I wanted to blast that negative state out of existence so for this piece I thought about fun: dancing, exuberance, lots of color and light.

Michael

SweetBabyJ
09-13-2004, 11:35 AM
S'okay, Michael, we knew when we split the forums up there'd be some confusion as to where to post what- especially for those who are infrequent visitors (hint-hint) (Be nice to have your highly-trained classical eye on us every so often, yanno)

Understand the need to spill negative, frustrating mind-frames out the way you have, replacing them with something strongly lyrical, with beauty and dignity. I am not sure why, but I still would like to see a hint more of the model's facial features- just a smidge- I dunno, might have something to do with the coyly bold, come hither dancing pose and no eyes flashing promise, you know?

Whatcha using brand-wise to get those bold, clean strokes?

Newberry
09-13-2004, 12:04 PM
hahahah, thanks J, Oh her head is fantistic there in the shadow, really beautiful colors and all, but again the piece is just a sketch and there isn't any time, and I am not sure I want to spend $45 to block in the head more...I could play with it out of my imagination but then I run a risk of completely losing all the energy that I love in the rest of the drawing.

I used rembrandt's soft and I drew it on black gessoed paper...fun but very expensive, 8 bucks a sheet.

how I make the marks?...squint my eyes at the model and squint my eyes at the paper and match up the color/light as quick as possible.

Michael

SweetBabyJ
09-13-2004, 12:14 PM
Ha! I'm dieting- not to lose weight, but so I can afford more Wallis....

It's a BEAUTIFUL support, Michael- I cannot urge you enough to try it. So far, it takes every medium thrown at it with absolute ease, it also seems to bring MORE of whatever the medium is out, so work is rich and very satisfying. PM Kitty Wallis and she'll send a sample- but I warn you it is small (like 4" x 8") and makes you knot your brow working so tiny! But even tiny is easy on it, and rolls are quite cost-effective. Besides- who really NEEDS a car payment??

Maybe if I ordered on double-coupon Wednesdays....