PDA

View Full Version : Mural Paints

Noble
10-22-2001, 12:43 PM
What type of paint should be used on a normal household wall for a realistic landscape type work?

Two scenarios:

1) The wall has latex based paint already there

2) Unpainted, newly installed drywall

sajemak
10-22-2001, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by Noble
What type of paint should be used on a normal household wall for a realistic landscape type work?

Two scenarios:

1) The wall has latex based paint already there

If your wall already has a latex base coat, you just need to make sure that it is in good condition, or you should make any repairs that are necessary...such as filling wholes, sanding, and repriming those areas. Murals are usually done on a smooth surface, so if the walls are too bumpy, you could hire someone to come in and 'skim coat' to smooth your wall.

Also, you will want to CLEAN your walls prior to painting them, but if they are fairly clean already, you may be able to get away with just priming the surface and basecoating again.

As far as paint goes, artists acrylics work well since they dry quickly. There are many brands to choose from and they can come in tubes, jars, and some even come in economy sizes. Try to stick with one brand though, since each brand has its own formula that may not work well together when mixed with other brands.

2) Unpainted, newly installed drywall

Newly installed drywall needs to be prepared properly with primer and a good basecoat. If you are going to use acrylics in your murals, get a water-based primer. But first, you will want to scrape off any rough spots on the drywall and then dust it well. Then you can have someone come in and skim coat if necessary, then use your primer then follow with a latex base color of your choice. Regular household basecoats work just fine for a mural background.

Remember, this is BRIEF information, but you can go to any paint store and there should be people there that can answer any questions about how to use their specific products and recommendations on preparing your walls to paint.

I would also recommend a book called 'Painting Murals' by Patricial Seligman.

I hope this helps.:)

Noble
10-22-2001, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by sajemak

Newly installed drywall needs to be prepared properly with primer and a good basecoat. If you are going to use acrylics in your murals, get a water-based primer
[snip]

I hope this helps.:)

It does somewhat. What I'm wondering is can you or should you use regular household latex paint that you can get by the gallon (inexpensively) vs some expensive art store acrylic paint?

Basically, what kind of paint do people use on these kinds of walls and where do they go to get them typically?

Ruth
10-22-2001, 06:54 PM
Noble, I have used interior latex paint to do murals and have been very satisfied with it. I used Porter Paint when I could get it, and Sherwin Williams paint accent colors. You have to pick the purest primary colors you can find in the color chart and try to talk them into mixing them without any white or black. The dark primary blue (close to phthalo blue) has to have a lot of pigment added, because they use a "deep base" which is more transparent. They may have to pour off some of the base to get enough pigment in. I had to experiment with this and bought several quarts of paint to get just the mix I wanted, and I don't know if I can find that information now. This was several years ago.

However, if you buy good quality acrylic paint from any art supply dealer, that works just fine. DON'T get the little jars of craft paint from Wal-Mart. Most of my mural work is in homes, and the acrylic paint goes far. In high-traffic areas such as kids' rooms or kitchens, two or three coats of Polycrylic will protect your work and make it easy to keep clean. You get that from a paint store, where you buy the latex paint.

I used the latex paint in gallons on a big commercial mural job, three primaries and white, with some acrylic for little details. Nobody could believe it was done with just house paint.

Ruth

sajemak
10-22-2001, 07:16 PM
Like I said, you can use household paint to basecoat in a color that will tie in with the colors that you will be using in your landscape. However, I'm not sure what you pay for household paint in D.C. but depending on how many colors you want to use in a landscape scene.....prices of quarts and gallons add up quick! If you were using large amounts of blue for sky and green for grass and trees, you could block those colors in with household paints and then go back in with artist acrylics to do the rest. And if you don't want to purchase a bunch of different colors, you could mix your own by just getting your primary colors of red, yellow, and blue, and some white and black for highlighting and shading.:)

sajemak
10-22-2001, 07:19 PM
Sorry, Ruth! I didn't see that you had already posted a response! So forget the rerun, Noble! :D

Noble
10-23-2001, 11:36 PM
Originally posted by Ruth

However, if you buy good quality acrylic paint from any art supply dealer, that works just fine. DON'T get the little jars of craft paint from Wal-Mart. Most of my mural work is in homes, and the acrylic paint goes far. In high-traffic areas such as kids' rooms or kitchens, two or three coats of Polycrylic will protect your work and make it easy to keep clean. You get that from a paint store, where you buy the latex paint.

I used the latex paint in gallons on a big commercial mural job, three primaries and white, with some acrylic for little details. Nobody could believe it was done with just house paint.

Ruth

Thanks this is just a 5' x 9' wall already painted with a midtone latex. Thanks for the info. Is "Polycrylic" some kind of clear coat sealer or something?

baquitania
10-25-2001, 03:01 PM
Noble:

Here's an example of house paints that I used in Mexico.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=16509
But I have done the same here, just haven't gotten any decent photos to post of them... but it works, and the brushes are the cheapest you will ever buy... btw I checked out yer site, great stuff man...

Looking forward to seeing your mural...

Bobby

Ruth
10-25-2001, 10:40 PM
Yes, Polycrylic is an acrylic varnish, similar to polyurethane. I thin it with water and apply with a paint roller. It's expensive but goes farther with thinning, and gives great protection. I use the satin finish, but it comes in glossy too.

R.

PAKI
12-10-2004, 03:31 AM
Eggshell latex acrylic wall paint is lovely to paint on. A wonderful basecoat that is affordable and easy to obtain. On new drywall or sheetrock, a primer is in order. Save your expensive acrylics for the accent colors. I discovered gesso also works great as a ground, but the eggshell is more affordable and seems to work well. Good tooth and easy on the brushes.