PDA

View Full Version : softness exercise

John H
09-12-2004, 07:45 PM
Spent this afternoon playing around with this painting, thinking mostly about softness (a lot of light tapping with the corners of a couple of bristle flats) and color. It was painted on a canvas pad and its "trimmed" size is about 7 1/2 x 9. I used thalo blue, cad yellow light, quinacradone magenta and white gesso.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Sep-2004/1622-AcrylicSoftnessWCacrylicforum.jpg

shirleyq
09-12-2004, 08:01 PM
You succeeded very well in getting a soft look :D which is not always easy in acrylics.

ExpressiveAngie
09-12-2004, 08:07 PM
and soft it is! Lovely - I think you also achieved distance as well as softness.

Vicki_Oz
09-12-2004, 08:44 PM
This is beautiful!

John H
09-12-2004, 09:25 PM
Shirley, Angie, and Vicki
Thanks for your replies. If anyone wants to share tips on how to achieve softness please do. Jerry Yarnell recommends using a generous amount of gesso and a large hake brush.
On this one I used a smaller #14 bristle flat (1/2" wide at the ferrule) and worked from sky to foreground about 3 or 4 times, using conservative amounts of paint. Of course everytime I went back into the sky I wiped out parts of the background and middle ground trees. It was a back & forth process (fun for me) but I'm sure open to tips and ideas. :)

sassybird
09-12-2004, 10:25 PM
You achieved a good balance of darks and lights here. I would suggest that you add just a hint of a darker hue to the builiding under the eaves to give it more substance.

jbitzel
09-12-2004, 11:02 PM
wow. this is perfect. It amazes me how you have such unnatural colors and made it look so natural. It reminds me of where I grew up in the midwest, and isn't that the ultimate goal to make the viewer able to relate to it? Great work. :D

coherent
09-13-2004, 08:58 AM
Very nice... I especially like the sunlight on the trees. The only little thing that I noticed was the building too. Seems like it needs to be just a little darker to match the green value off to it's left. Otherwise perfect to my eyes!
-marc

Rosebudlr
09-13-2004, 11:26 AM
You accomplished beautifully what you wanted to do. This is so lovely. I too use Jerry Yarnells gesso with color mixes and it works very well! Keep up the nice work!