PDA

View Full Version : Canoists

mrs willow
09-12-2004, 06:12 PM
Such a long time since I have worked in pastel that I had forgotten all about the medium. I actually love working with pastel, but it is a bit messy for my "room in the house" type studio, hence the neglect.
In a periodic clean up of my folio, I came across this one and couldn't bring myself to get rid of it. It could probably do with some finishing!
C&C please.
Cheers
Sandy
Ps> There maybe some reflection ....at the time of the photograph, it was framed.
Canson M'Tient,(sp?) Half sheet. Soft pastels.... Rembrandt.

khourianya
09-12-2004, 06:18 PM
WOW! This is really great! I'm glad you've come back to your pastels. You obviously have some skill with them!

Kathryn Day
09-12-2004, 06:18 PM
You shoud do more! Nice movement in the water and very well drawn figures.
:)

Terry Wynn
09-12-2004, 06:46 PM
Hello,

Love this painting...great movement and the figures are well done. I wouldn't change a thing...it says it all.

Terry

meowmeow
09-12-2004, 07:03 PM
It works for me...looks likeyou do fine with pastels! My only comment...I think they are kayakers not canoeists! :D But otherwise they are great!

Sandy

Kathryn Wilson
09-12-2004, 10:27 PM
Well done! You should do more - lovely colors, figures look good - :clap:

Hope to see you back here with more pastels!

bnoonan
09-12-2004, 10:49 PM
Love the lighting in this piece and how you captured it so effectively.

Well done - do more and post them please!!! Barb

K Taylor-Green
09-13-2004, 11:22 AM
Wonderful piece! I wouldn't change a thing.

mrs willow
09-13-2004, 04:49 PM
Thank you eveyone! I think I spelled Canoeists wrongly! Or did I? Anyway, Sandy is right! They are actually kayakers ( sp?) These boys and their teachers arrived one day while my friend and I were painting in the area.We certainly took advantage of their arrival.
Kathy, I would love to do more pastels (I would love to do more of every other media too) Pastels are too messy indoors and it is too cold in the shed....I have to wait for the warmer weather.

Sandy

Marge Cline
09-13-2004, 06:03 PM
Let me jump in on the "canoers or kayakers" debate here. What you actually have here are canoers - because of the paddles they are using, canoe paddles. The boats look like kayaks, but are actually called
C-2's (acronym for canoe for two people). they might be K 2's but from the painting it is impossible to tell. Kayakers sit on their butts and paddle with kayak paddles (two blades on one shaft); canoers generally sit or kneel and paddle with a single blade. Regardless of the kind of craft you've captured, it's the kind of painting I like...boats on water. I'd save it too. Marge

Khadres
09-14-2004, 01:57 PM
I like it too, no matter WHAT kinda sticks they're waving! Nice work!

meowmeow
09-14-2004, 03:05 PM
Well! Amazing the stuff you can learn around here! :D I stand corrected...I mean I sit on my butt and am corrected...paddle me! :D
Doesn't matter...nice painting!

Sandy

prestonsega
09-14-2004, 05:12 PM
Even though the subjects are with their back to us ..I can see their grimacing and straining faces..... :clap:

mrs willow
09-16-2004, 05:58 PM
Thanks Marge! This has been most interesting. I am glad you clarified things. I didn't have a clue!
Thanks Khadres, Sandy, Preston for contributing to this lively, informative and fun discussion.
I think I will do some more pastels.
Sandy