PDA

View Full Version : Advice on a bracelet I bought

LifeisGood
09-12-2004, 05:22 PM
I just got this bracelet at a Museum Shop, and I think the label said Venezia Murano, but I'm not sure that this is a brand, or is referring to where it comes from? I'm not sure if my pics will show the true color, but the yellow/green/gold combo has an almost neon quality, it is gorgeous. The foil(?) used is definitely encased---is this type of foil available to us, do any of you know? Also, the spacer beads are rough and super sparkly and seem to be excellent quality. Would anybody know if you can buy these spacers anywhere? I don't think I've ever seen them. I don't like to wear mass-produced beads, but I bought this to see if I could duplicate the color of the foil somehow. Thanks for any ideas,

encantado
09-12-2004, 06:04 PM
No ideas- but that is a great bracelet! Love the spacer beads.

aimee
09-12-2004, 06:11 PM
Not an expert here but I think if you make a semi-tapered barrel (probably could even use any icky clear) completely cover in silver foil. Keep the bead warm but not too hot so that you don't burn off the foil. Then encase. Looks like they used a really light grass green and a yellow. We've make ones using light blue and aguamarine but the silver stays a silver color. The green and yellow will give it a goldish tint.

!ngridh
09-12-2004, 06:59 PM
the spacers are called sugar beads...

and I just want to share a very sad but true experience of mine...

I was at the museum of glass in Tacoma...and btw gorgeous gift shop....and
they had pieces made with cheap imports and the sales staff wasn't even knowledgible enough to know resin from glass...

imho ...museum stores are not a great place to buy jewelry...and your piece is really lovely and that is all that matters...but...again...I have no idea what their buyers are thinking...I did formally complain to the Tacoma Museum of glass since I was a founding memeber...meaning stupid enough to give them money before they opened ....lol

MegannsMom
09-12-2004, 07:34 PM
Hello, Hello! And how are you, Ana? As soon as I saw those spacers, I thought of beads that I like to use in my necklaces. They are called stardust beads, mine are sterling but I'm almost 100% sure that they make them in 14K, and come from Rio Grande. They are soooo pretty and sparkly! I'm sure that lots of other places carry them too, maybe even in a plated bead....
~Cindy

Nonie
09-12-2004, 07:35 PM
Sometimes I buy a smaller version of those sparkly spacers in silver and they are are referred to as stardust beads. Maybe that might help too. :wave:

LifeisGood
09-12-2004, 08:48 PM
Thank you to everyone's help! :wave:

LifeisGood
09-12-2004, 08:50 PM
Hello, Hello! And how are you, Ana? As soon as I saw those spacers, I thought of beads that I like to use in my necklaces. They are called stardust beads, mine are sterling but I'm almost 100% sure that they make them in 14K, and come from Rio Grande. They are soooo pretty and sparkly! I'm sure that lots of other places carry them too, maybe even in a plated bead....
~Cindy

Hey Cindy! Thanks for the tip, and things are going well! Missing your sweetie while she's at school I bet! But I sense you're able to get a whole lot more done during the day now ;)

LifeisGood
09-12-2004, 09:10 PM
the spacers are called sugar beads...

and I just want to share a very sad but true experience of mine...

I was at the museum of glass in Tacoma...and btw gorgeous gift shop....and
they had pieces made with cheap imports and the sales staff wasn't even knowledgible enough to know resin from glass...

imho ...museum stores are not a great place to buy jewelry...and your piece is really lovely and that is all that matters...but...again...I have no idea what their buyers are thinking...I did formally complain to the Tacoma Museum of glass since I was a founding memeber...meaning stupid enough to give them money before they opened ....lol

Ingrid, I see where you're coming from, thanks for the post. actually I don't make a habit of buying jewelry from these shops, for the very reasons you state. The colors just grabbed me, kind of explains my impulse shopping, darn it! :( By the way, the bracelet itself is on very cheap elastic and the bead holes are sub-beginner quality. I can probably presume it's not annealed either. That really should be unacceptable for a nice gift shop. Thanks,

Listenup
09-12-2004, 09:13 PM
Here's what a quick look on Google found me:
http://www.jewelrysupply.com/noframes/stardustbeads.htm
They look very similar, if not the same.

(I'm not endorsing this company, it's just the first one that came up with gold stardust beads.)

-Kay

LifeisGood
09-12-2004, 09:25 PM
Here's what a quick look on Google found me:
http://www.jewelrysupply.com/noframes/stardustbeads.htm
They look very similar, if not the same.

(I'm not endorsing this company, it's just the first one that came up with gold stardust beads.)

-Kay

Thank you Kay!

Smedstad
09-13-2004, 12:42 PM
I think the label said Venezia Murano, but I'm not sure that this is a brand, or is referring to where it comes from?

Well no one answered your question! Venezia is Venice, Murano is the island off Venice where the glass is made. Effetre and Vetrofond are both on the Island - I think.

Debbie

Patricia'sglass
09-13-2004, 06:53 PM
The bracelet IS just beautiful. The colors just glow. One thing I have started doing when I buy beads that I suspect are not annealed - I anneal them. The mention of the quality of the work on the hole makes me think of some I have bought that are India or China made and not cleaned or annealed. From now on I am going to anneal all I buy like that. I have had beads - not czec glass- but "other" lampwork- that have cracked after I have had them over a year - stress cracks- so I figure it's better to try annealing them up front and let the ones break that will. They probably were going to anyway.
PAttym

LifeisGood
09-13-2004, 09:39 PM
The bracelet IS just beautiful. The colors just glow. One thing I have started doing when I buy beads that I suspect are not annealed - I anneal them. The mention of the quality of the work on the hole makes me think of some I have bought that are India or China made and not cleaned or annealed. From now on I am going to anneal all I buy like that. I have had beads - not czec glass- but "other" lampwork- that have cracked after I have had them over a year - stress cracks- so I figure it's better to try annealing them up front and let the ones break that will. They probably were going to anyway.
PAttym

Great idea Patty, thank you!!!!!!!!!

Deepwood Art
09-15-2004, 09:54 AM
The foil(?) used is definitely encased---is this type of foil available to us, do any of you know?

Fine silver foil is available from any of the glass suppliers. Look for the thicker foils (not leaf). Then check out Jodi Price's (Beadworx) vessel tutorial. She uses foil, and the look is similar to the beads in your picture. Of course, you don't have to make a vessel, just adapt for your own creation.

http://www.beadworx.com/HowToMakeAVessel.html

I don't like to wear mass-produced beads

Why not? That bracelet is gorgeous! That's what should matter, right?

Best,
Fran :)

LifeisGood
09-15-2004, 11:49 PM
Fine silver foil is available from any of the glass suppliers. Look for the thicker foils (not leaf). Then check out Jodi Price's (Beadworx) vessel tutorial. She uses foil, and the look is similar to the beads in your picture. Of course, you don't have to make a vessel, just adapt for your own creation.

http://www.beadworx.com/HowToMakeAVessel.html

Why not? That bracelet is gorgeous! That's what should matter, right?

Best,
Fran :)

Hey Fran, thanks for the link, much appreciated.
I should have said I try not to buy mass-produced, import beads----just a "thing" I have. but.... I do love this bracelet too, thank you!
My thoughts are that any money I spend on buying something like that, well I'd rather my money go to an artist who may be supporting their family for instance---- My husband I also shop as much as we can at smaller businesses in general. Plus, you can never beat that personal touch :)
Anyway, bottom line is (especially if you were to see these beads up close) you cannot beat the quality/craftsmanship of artist glass beads.