PDA

View Full Version : Gateway to Hell WIP

Axl
09-12-2004, 04:51 PM
Hey y'all :D

I've been rather busy lately wth schol starting up and stuff. Seams everytime I sit down to clean and stuff, someone comes over and destracts me. heh. Anyways in light of the roomates moving out, I've had a lot more space. Moved around some futniture in my apartment and stuff. Left be with a big blank WALL with nothing on it.

Yuck. Can't have a bare wall. Right?

Anyways I got scribbling, trying to figure out what exactly to put on it. One of my teachers last year use to do these amazing charcoal drawings on walls, and then after the exhibition he'd just paint over them. In similar fashion, I decided to draw on this one, and when I move out I'll just paint over it. I think I'll do a Gateway to Hell theme because, well, how many people can honestly say they have a gateway to hell in their livingroom????

So heres a few project shots, as well as the original sketch. So far I've only been working on this for 3 days (from original sketch to now), and it has been going a lot quicker than I had originally anticipated. My medium of choice is ofcorse charcoal, applied with the aid of a "colour shaper" I normally use for painting but it works quite well for smearing the charcoal around on the drywall. I know theres no "gate" yet. I'm debating over whether or not to draw the literal doors, or to make it like some sort of ceremonial wall carving used for a ritualistic, magickal entering...? Might have to mull over it for a bit. Sew how this chunk goes.

All c&c welcome. Its good to be able to post something again :D

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Sep-2004/7231-hellsketch.jpg

Just Crystal
09-12-2004, 10:04 PM
How awesome! And what a great idea! You never cease to amaze me with your art Axl! You can come draw on my walls anytime! :D

Leslie_Ann
09-13-2004, 05:20 AM
Damn Axl! I almost forgot how gifted you were! This is awesome. Good luck with school.

TedDawson
09-13-2004, 09:16 AM
I've been wanting to do something with one of our blank walls, too. Maybe if I paint something similar you can come over for a visit sometime. :p

This is really dynamic. You've got such a talent for combining the real with your imagination and creating a new reality. Which is the essence of Creativity, I guess.

Speaking of which, is this completely from imagination or are you using any "real" symbols?

Axl
09-13-2004, 09:32 AM
thanx for the comments you guys :D

The only thing that is real are the hebrew lettering in around the circlet, which was taken from an drawing of a pentagram (that said i have no clue what they mean). Outside of that I looked at several refereces of different kinds of skulls and bones for the deamon and then sota played with the sizes and shapes from there. I'm currently undecided on whether or not I should have the orbit of the eye on the side of the head (like the left side of the sketch) or have it towards the top, such as on the right side. I've been talking to others on which one is more apropriate so your opinions are welcome.

This is a bit of an update from last nights work. Sorry again for crappy photos. My webcam/digicam isnt much to be desired lol Thankyou for looking

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Sep-2004/7231-circle.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Sep-2004/7231-hell4.jpg

AFM159
09-14-2004, 11:25 AM
Love it! Keep us posted.

If you haven't decided on the eye socket, I say split the difference. I suppose if you want to be anatomically correct, it should be on the side, but this is fantasy anyway, and I think it would have a more menacing feel if it were in some way looking at you.

chsm
09-20-2004, 04:34 PM
magnificent :clap: :clap:

LOU ZERR
10-01-2004, 12:20 PM
The gate reminds me of the stargate from Stargate SG-1.
I am a huge fan and oddly enough just finished watching season 1 on dvd as always the art is great . :clap:

Gonzz
10-01-2004, 02:21 PM
Cool piece of art! Although I'm not sure if I would like to start the day having my corn flakes while staring directly into the entry to HELL! :angel: hehe

I bet it's a good way to sort out any future flatmates :evil: :p

Gonzz
10-01-2004, 02:27 PM
Cool piece of art! Although I'm not sure if I would like to start the day having my corn flakes while staring directly into the entry to HELL! :angel: hehe

I bet it's a good way to sort out any future flatmates :evil: :p

chsm
10-01-2004, 04:26 PM
hoping 4 more!

Axl
10-03-2004, 12:06 AM
ahhh yes there will be more eventualy!! i've just been swamped with school :D

i continually stair at it every day tho an d think "hmm. i gfotta finish that"

its kinda hard for me to overlook. lolol.

kramus
10-05-2004, 12:38 PM
Hello Axl. Finally got over to Illustration. My lucky day. I donít know if youíve come up with your framing/context/setting for the piece. I had a thought that in what looks to be not an overly wide space some suggestion of arches at the tops of the wall would really work well. There are so many references to being swallowed up or eaten Ė to find yourself within the bowels of hell. The arches - a hint or even a suggestion of some architectural whimsy would work I bet. I was thinking they could carry some echo of what Jonah saw before it got real dark and fishy smelling. A visual reference to the inside of a gullet, or the twisted gape of some ill-wracked whatever, either broken fanged or with peg-like grinding molars hinted at might possibly partially frame or set into context that wonderful thing youíve got going there.

Just donít invite the kiddies over for a sleepover. ;)

Axl
10-17-2005, 05:45 PM
This is silly for digging this up but i was looking around my computer and found the last WIP photo i did. This piece was never, and will never be finished as I moved from my apartment before it was completely, BUT this is where i left it:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Oct-2005/7231-222222.jpg

Sorry about the wait. Man it only took a few months for me to post it -_- ! lol

LOU ZERR
10-17-2005, 07:22 PM
that is sooooooooooooo frigin cool!

AlisonBC
10-19-2005, 04:19 PM
Axl, your work is amazing! Look forward to seeing more :)

gillianseed84
10-19-2005, 05:46 PM
Whoaaaa.... awesome!!!

Albandia
10-19-2005, 07:07 PM
Sorry, I know I haven't posted here in a while, but I do love this piece your doing Axl. It's quite original and it has a kind of dark feel to it. Great work!

LOU ZERR
10-23-2005, 11:00 AM
Hey Ive gotta idea, you could do a new one where you live now and then you can portal back to your old place....via hell of course.

Viscious-Speed
10-23-2005, 01:30 PM
That totally rocks Axl! Mighty talented you are! There's nothing I don't like about it! And the shading is top-notch!http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/images/icons/icon14.gif:D