PDA

View Full Version : Dusty Rhodes WIP

mooz49
09-12-2004, 12:11 PM
I have a picture of Dusty Rhodes, a local poet, and I thought I would try and paint it. I am not that sure if I like it so far and not sure about the colour. I wanted it to look old but my hubby does not like those colours. Maybe I should leave this one and start another. What do you think?

BRIDGES
09-12-2004, 01:09 PM
Looks like you followed the colors in old photo why not modernize it and give colorful clothes..Like you were coloring photo/Bridges

joa
09-12-2004, 01:16 PM
I like it. I like the colors, but think I would like more color. Instead of redoing it, can you put color over it? maybe transparent glazes? It really doesn't have to be bright bold colors to work, just a little color would do.

Jo

ExpressiveAngie
09-12-2004, 09:45 PM
I think if you like this one -dont mess with it because hubby suggests you should (I do not follow my own advice however :p )

Try another and see what happens.

sassybird
09-12-2004, 10:03 PM
I suggest you hang it up somewhere where you can look at it from time to time, and something will come to you. Don't make any descisions on hubby's advice or anyone elses. Just ease back from it for awhile.

jbitzel
09-12-2004, 10:58 PM
I agree with the glaze idea but I would focus color on one area, for example put more color in the background or your subject but not both. just my opinion. :wave:

mooz49
09-13-2004, 12:55 PM
Thanks so much to all of you for your helpfull comments. I have changed it a bit .......... not sure if it is for the better though. I will leave it for a while now. I have also done another one in Paynes Grey so I will post both of them here .............

ExpressiveAngie
09-13-2004, 02:07 PM
I like the grey one -- it appeals to me more. I like the way the beard is in the grey version and the bench.

texasboy
09-15-2004, 03:30 PM
When I saw the name I remembered a man that walked into a print shop that I worked at in the '90's when i was a commercial artist/graphic designer. Dusty Rhodes was a professional wrestler manager that would go nuts on TV. But when he was away from the cameras, he was the sweetest man you ever met. It was really funny.

mooz49
09-15-2004, 05:13 PM
Thanks Texasboy for the info on your Dusty Rhodes. All I know about our Dusty is what I have read about him...............

James Stoddard Moore, the local Poet 'Dusty Rhodes', was born in Cushendall in 1844, the son of an Edinburgh man (well all the best people are!) and a local lass. His parents died before he was fifteen, and soon after, he became a sailor and travelled the seven seas, worked as a Goldminer in California and was a soldier in India, Afghanistan and Malta. When he returned to Ireland however, he worked as a farm labourer around Cushendall & Ballintoy but as he grew older he became a tramp, which was very common in those days.
Most of his poetry was written during the years he wandered the local roads, and he would give the poems to local farmers in return for board and lodgings, or for a few shillings. Some were published in the Northern Constitution, the local publication which printed so much of Sam Henry's collected songs.
He lived with his second wife, for a number of years in Dunlop Street, Coleraine, but settled, after many years on the road, in Mill Street, Ballycastle, with his third wife, and died in 1939 at the ripe old age of 96.
He clearly had plenty to write poetry about, what with his foreign travels and romantic lifestyle, not to mention his long healthy life, and of course, his three wives.