PDA

View Full Version : Mandarin Eggs

SweetBabyJ
09-12-2004, 11:31 AM
This started as a 1-hour sketch for the weekly thread; I'd not yet cleaned up all my props and stuff from getting some ref pics, and they were sitting there when I flipped the spot on 'em and said "Oh!" But, 'cause it was supposed to be one hour, I decided not to detail the cutwork on the placemat, so when the time stretched closer to two hours, and I finished, to me, the placemat is disappointing, and the composition is crying out for that cutwork especially in the left front foreground. So may go in and clean it up today and do it, or may just start on Tom's "Weak Area, Part Deux" project- I'm not yet sure.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Sep-2004/9169-mandarineggsul.jpg

and a detail of the colours used:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Sep-2004/9169-mandarineggsdetul.jpg

Mix of softs on Wallis, about 7" x 15" or so with cropping.

Paula Ford
09-12-2004, 12:40 PM
None of it looks weak to me!! Wonderful job!!

Paula

khourianya
09-12-2004, 01:42 PM
The colours are so vibrant and the dimension to these is perfect. It's really beautiful as it is...

If those cutouts are still crying out to you, why don't you add them in...I'm sure it will look gorgeous...

binkie
09-12-2004, 03:13 PM
The piece looks delicious to me! And of course, you know how much I love the way you do wood!!

gwen

emmachester
09-12-2004, 03:34 PM
I predict that your paintings will sell like hotcakes in our gloomy, rainy northwest (we've had a really long stretch of cloudy days). Again, the colors resonate with me (energize me?); love the whole thing, including the title. Cutwork?...hmmmm....I could go either way. I like the simplicity of the plain mat, but I'm a sucker for cutwork. You would know best.

Most excellent.

Sherry

(yea--no plein aire with my new easel this weekend)

SweetBabyJ
09-12-2004, 03:34 PM
Many people do, Gwen, she said with a wickedly arched brow. lol- thank you- it was fun to do.

Thank you, Paula and Cori- I was so pleased when I turned on the spot and saw this- and have gone back in and added, not cut-work, but some wrinkly areas to that front left corner, as if the placemat was a bit mussed there.

SweetBabyJ
09-12-2004, 03:35 PM
NEW easel?? You went shopping?? You lucky thing!!

Thanks- took me a few years to admit it, but I like colour, it seems....

dexonsbabe
09-12-2004, 04:31 PM
yet another great one :clap: :clap:

prestonsega
09-12-2004, 06:36 PM
I really like the extreme horizontal format. the blue reflected light under the eggs and fruit is magnificent! .....Strong complimentary color combo!

My first visual response was the forground drapery is too "clean" (and you want to go in and clean it up...lol) Maybe...not sure..but if you raised the fold of the draperyto the left of the picture plane and created stronger shadows, it would increase interest and lead the eye back up into the subjects while creating stronger opposing diagonals to your horizon line......(I won't mention the "C" word, but do you notice how strong the detail pic is???? ),,,,try it in photo shop..your good with that program!

Ok,,so now you got a bona fide painting, you owe us a 1 hour sketch!!!! :D

prestonsega
09-12-2004, 06:43 PM
Julie...just noticed this but there is a duality of shadow direction with appearantly only one light source...is your spot light placed close upper right of your set up????

meowmeow
09-12-2004, 07:06 PM
You like color? Gee...never would have known? :D
This is lovely Julie...wonderful colors. The mat certainly has texture and "depth"...cutwork is fun but it probably is fine left alone. Nice wood too!

Sandy

SweetBabyJ
09-12-2004, 07:25 PM
Thanks, Sandy- part of me still wishes I took the time to make it cutwork, but I'm happy with it, mostly.

One spot, Preston, not too high right, and quite close. The left front of the mat has been "rucked up" kinda- has a few wrinkly things that point to the center egg (don't wanna hear this center of interest stuff- there's enough variety AND unity there, the eye travels just fine) so there's interest there and it doesn't look so sterile.

I'll see about a sketch after I get the project done. Man- much as SOME people hate still lifes, I feel that way about landscapes! My neck is soooo stiff already and I haven't done much more than lay in major tones.

Mikki Petersen
09-12-2004, 08:42 PM
Beautiful realism Julie! Doing the cutwork would have made the mat the focal point which would have changed the whole mood of this piece. I like it this way. Nice and clean.

SweetBabyJ
09-12-2004, 10:51 PM
Thanks, Mikki- it's more "complete" now that I rucked up that left front a bit. Preston's right about a crop, too- makes it all the stronger. We'll see.

bnoonan
09-12-2004, 10:56 PM
Hey Julie - another good one and where or where did you find an orange that brilliant and powerful? Wow!!!

Keep them coming and do a sketch for "Jimmy" - oh I mean Preston - he likes it when we do them.

B

prestonsega
09-12-2004, 11:19 PM
......do a sketch for "Jimmy" - oh I mean Preston - he likes it when we do them.

B

LOL.....That's "Timmy"...and I don't just like it when you submit to the sketch thread,...I LOVE it!! (Thanks for reminding me...it's almost time to start the new one for those of us on the east coast.)

bnoonan
09-12-2004, 11:23 PM
LOL.....That's "Timmy"...and I don't just like it when you submit to the sketch thread,...I LOVE it!! (Thanks for reminding me...it's almost time to start the new one for those of us on the east coast.)
Oh Tim Bob I'm so sorry!!! Later y'all...

SweetBabyJ
09-13-2004, 12:22 PM
"Timmy" knows I'll post to his sketch thread if'n I get a chance to sketch, but right now I am attmepting to kill all artistic inclination by painting a successful landscape for Tom's Baneful project- I have no idea why I cannot translate what I SEE out there to a piece of paper, but thus far, it is escaping being pinned down.

Anyone have any duct tape? I've run out of loin girders....