PDA

View Full Version : Braunston Locks

dragonlady
09-12-2004, 09:46 AM
I did this for Deborah's foreground's lesson. What do you think ? All comments, critiques welcome.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Sep-2004/43451-locks.jpg

judwal
09-12-2004, 09:59 AM
Such lovely vibrant colors in this. I'm a little bothered with that white spot that appears to be under the boat. Right now it's completing for center of attention. It definitely needs to be toned down quite a bit.

dexonsbabe
09-12-2004, 10:15 AM
very nice have to agree about that white bit..... :clap: :clap:

K Taylor-Green
09-12-2004, 10:19 AM
Amazing reflections. I'm with Judy on the white thing. Otherwise, just great!!

Khadres
09-12-2004, 12:11 PM
Love it! I'm assuming the white thingy is part of the lock mechanism? How bout making it another color or rusty or something? Love the water and the boat!

Paula Ford
09-12-2004, 12:27 PM
WONDERFUL!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Paula

TSPoon
09-12-2004, 12:28 PM
I think for the assignment on the Foreground you've done an excellent job! :clap:
The shadows are there in the foreground to tone it down, and make it non-competing, while the lights in the water draw our attention towards the boat.\
Wonderful!
Terry

khourianya
09-12-2004, 01:47 PM
I agree that the white box is competing for attention in the piece, but if you add some further shadowing to it, I'm sure it will belnd in a bit more to the surroundings.

I really like this piece, though. it makes me want to hop on a plane and come right over (with my pastels and digital camera in tow, of course). The imagery and reflectons brings back fond memories of my shopping in the barges at Stratford-Upon-Avon!

binkie
09-12-2004, 03:23 PM
I really like this one. The colors you used and the reflection of the water is super. It will be great once you tone down the white.

gwen

dragonlady
09-12-2004, 05:13 PM
Thanks so much for the comments. The white 'thingy' is part of the lock gate, it's the end of the balance beam which is attached to the gate so you can open and shut it. Here's a picture of the gate on the other side so you can see what I mean.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Sep-2004/43451-gate.jpg

Because I chose this view to give me a good lead in with the side of the lock, you see the right hand gate and balance beam end on, which does make it awkward to see exactly what they are. The gates are wooden and always painted bright white and black so I can't make it another colour or make it rusty - wouldn't work. It is actually not nearly as bright IRL, I think the scan has made it much whiter than it really is. Having said that I will tone it down a bit more.

Cori, did you go out on a canal boat when you were here ?

meowmeow
09-12-2004, 07:12 PM
GOrgeous water and dappled sunlight here....lovely forground. I understand now about the white thingy...and I also understand that a lot of times what we see here is not right so if it looks right to you....then it's probably fine!

Sandy