PDA

View Full Version : X-post, WIP-working title Ropin'

shirleyq
09-12-2004, 12:23 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/09-12-2004/11444_ropin_.jpg

I am looking for crits on this 12 x 16 monster..... :rolleyes: Acrylic on stretched linen canvas.

Do I work more on the shirt?

Do you see anything else?

shirleyq
09-12-2004, 12:28 AM
I seem to be having a hard time with uploading, hope this works...and my apologies. :)

Mike Finn
09-12-2004, 02:16 AM
Shirley....

I am just a beginner so "grain of salt" time. I like this enough for you to be my very first critique :)

Ok well I feel that the hips are a bit narrow and the point where the hand and rope meets the body sets up a tension point. Maybe just extend the hips slightly. I would like to see some subtle suggetstion of hoof prints in the sand. But apart from that leave it as is......... EXCELLENT. Oh maybe focus the camera a tad :)

Mike Finn

Eileenjm
09-12-2004, 02:59 AM
I can't really crit on this Shirley because I am not very good at painting people but I think it is lovely the way it is. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Eileen

shirleyq
09-12-2004, 07:58 PM
Hi Mike and Eileen. Thank you both for taking the time to look at this. :)

Mike I thought a great deal about what you mentioned regarding the hips but decided not to change them because he was a tall, lanky young man.

Here it is again with many changes.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Sep-2004/11444-Ropin9-12..jpg

ExpressiveAngie
09-12-2004, 08:04 PM
Oh my - how did I miss this earlier?!
Shirley its really beautiful - the fellow is intent and his focus unwavering ...just beautiful!

Vicki_Oz
09-12-2004, 08:41 PM
I really like this.....I love the colour combination!

Marty C
09-12-2004, 09:30 PM
Hi Shirley,
Nice use of complementaries. The composition is delicately balanced with a body tension which makes it seem as if the figure will move again at any second. Very good job.

sassybird
09-12-2004, 10:15 PM
My brother was tall and lanky so I know that figure very well. I think that the changes you made have done the trick. Slap your name on it and call it done:)

Rosebudlr
09-13-2004, 11:37 AM
This is really beautiful! The only thing I think I would like to see is a little more shading on his face from the hat . It looks a little too much lit up to me. But thats just my opinion . You are very very talented! Keep up the great work!

shirleyq
09-13-2004, 12:13 PM
Thanks Angie :) When I took the ref. picture, he WAS very intent.

Vicki - I am glad you liked it. The palette is raw sienna, burnt sienna, yellow ochre, titanium white, unbleached titianium, quinacridone gold, transparent red iron oxide, burnt umber, cad red light, cerulean, ultramarine, paynes gray and a brown that I mixed with magenta and phtalo green (blue shade). I seem to be using alot of burnt sienna these days. :)

Hi Marty - It's fun to try to paint movement and great when it actually works :p

Charissa - It is about time to sign it....finally... :) ....but I may follow Leigh Rose's advice and shade his face a bit more.

Thanks Leigh Rose for the suggestion. That part does seem a little unfinished. :)