PDA

View Full Version : New Seascape. (Kinda) opinions PLEASE!

Rosebudlr
09-11-2004, 11:33 PM
I got the idea from a pattern by Bill Blackman but I did some changes to it. It is 16x20 . It is called, "Out of the Mist". It sure looks pretty on my walls! Gee, what does one do with all your art work if you dont sell it? My walls are full! LOL! I just hate to part with them but I guess I should see if my skill is good enough and pleasing enough for others, eh? Anyway, all comments on this is greatly appreciated. You are all my inspirations here.

Vicki_Oz
09-12-2004, 02:38 AM
I like it!!......Ships aren't my thing but I can imagine standing on the rocks in my 'Victorian' garb watching this ship come in out of the mist. So in my humble opion.....you've done well.

As for painting for sale.....go for it.. I don't actually have anything I've painted on my walls.....I make my living from my art.....painting, teaching and my sideline.....'face painting'. So I need to sell.....I have my paintings in cafes, restaurants, shops...and now online......that might give you a few ideas.

Kind regards
Vicki

Artguy29
09-12-2004, 07:45 AM
This is beautiful, Leigh! You have done an excellent job capturing the mist. That ship is stunning; about how long did it take you? I noticed how you have kept your colors very smooth and blended; what type of paints did you use? Did you use any type of medium with them? It's truly amazing what you can do with acrylics. Outstanding :clap: :clap: :clap: !

Dave

ExpressiveAngie
09-12-2004, 09:30 AM
Moody and beautiful. :clap:

LarrySeiler
09-12-2004, 12:12 PM
the ship is well done, water....I find the rocks in the lower corner not working.

You definitely need a device because of the asymmetrical balance here of the ship high and left, but offering a small corner to rocks compositionally is distracting. IT suggests other narrative, but not enough..as a dark value is commanding, too much a visual voice.

Perhaps if a hazy rising moon, or lowering moon in the sky to the upper right, present but not taking away from the ship with its reflection in the lower right side. The reflection could call just enough attention, fit within the scheme of the existing water and yet in terms of value not be so commanding to be so overpowering a visual voice.

Larry

Jenoir
09-12-2004, 12:16 PM
Very beautiful painting. I love ships and lighthouses and anything to do with oceans. Good job, I think it looks fantastic.

Rosebudlr
09-12-2004, 05:32 PM
This is beautiful, Leigh! You have done an excellent job capturing the mist. That ship is stunning; about how long did it take you? I noticed how you have kept your colors very smooth and blended; what type of paints did you use? Did you use any type of medium with them? It's truly amazing what you can do with acrylics. Outstanding :clap: :clap: :clap: !

Dave
THankyou very much, This is done with acrylics, I use liquitex and Dick Blick paints, and I didnt use any medium other than mixings colors using gesso instead of a white paint.

Once again, thankyou so much! It helps to have others opinions to boster my LOW LOW self confidence.

Rosebudlr
09-12-2004, 05:35 PM
the ship is well done, water....I find the rocks in the lower corner not working.

You definitely need a device because of the asymmetrical balance here of the ship high and left, but offering a small corner to rocks compositionally is distracting. IT suggests other narrative, but not enough..as a dark value is commanding, too much a visual voice.

Perhaps if a hazy rising moon, or lowering moon in the sky to the upper right, present but not taking away from the ship with its reflection in the lower right side. The reflection could call just enough attention, fit within the scheme of the existing water and yet in terms of value not be so commanding to be so overpowering a visual voice.

Larry
Hmm, see, when I first put this together, the example I used had nothing in the corner and I felt that it needed something there so one would be able to rotate your eye around and I "thought" the rocks depicting land close would help it. I will most defineately take your advice into consideration .Thankyou.

Rosebudlr
09-12-2004, 05:37 PM
I like it!!......Ships aren't my thing but I can imagine standing on the rocks in my 'Victorian' garb watching this ship come in out of the mist. So in my humble opion.....you've done well.

As for painting for sale.....go for it.. I don't actually have anything I've painted on my walls.....I make my living from my art.....painting, teaching and my sideline.....'face painting'. So I need to sell.....I have my paintings in cafes, restaurants, shops...and now online......that might give you a few ideas.

Kind regards
Vicki
I live in the country here and we have a tiny little singleparty owned country store here that will be happy to take in my paintings to display and sell for me. I just never had the self confidence. I think I will give it a try though. Thankyou for your wonderful comments.

Rosebudlr
09-12-2004, 05:43 PM
Thankyou all who took the time to view and post your kind opinions and comments on my ship. It all really helps me much.

Larry, you are among my favorites whom I believe has a tremendous amount of talent and I do respect and feel I could learn so very much for you! I thankyou too for your advice. I have only been painting for about a year now after not doing so for over 30 years. Its just something I have always loved and felt now was the time I could get back into the swing of things. I am haveing fun and I hope I will be around for a long long time as there is so much talent on here from everyone ,, All I can do is learn , learn, love everyones works and hope to improve! As the saying goes, Even a most professional artist was once a beginner.

Lynxes123
09-12-2004, 07:09 PM
I think it is beautiful Rosebud, I love it!! Especially the ship and the mist and reflections. I like the rocks too :clap: I know what you mean, I sold a few many years ago but I have been stacking them in the bedroom the last year or 2 because I didn't know if I could sell any. I know you will be a sucess at it because you sure do have the talent!
Lynxes123

Rosebudlr
09-12-2004, 09:27 PM
I think it is beautiful Rosebud, I love it!! Especially the ship and the mist and reflections. I like the rocks too :clap: I know what you mean, I sold a few many years ago but I have been stacking them in the bedroom the last year or 2 because I didn't know if I could sell any. I know you will be a sucess at it because you sure do have the talent!
Lynxes123
Thankyou very much Lynxes for your wonderful words of encouragement! Tell you what, I will try to sell mine if you sell yours!!! :clap:

Lynxes123
09-13-2004, 03:07 PM
Thankyou very much Lynxes for your wonderful words of encouragement! Tell you what, I will try to sell mine if you sell yours!!! :clap:

Thanks Rosebud, I am working on it, it's tricky to know where to start but there are some good websites I am trying it out for right now. :p
Lynxes123

jbitzel
09-13-2004, 08:57 PM
Wow. love the reflections, it reminds me of Master and Commander with Russell Crowe. :clap:

Eileenjm
09-14-2004, 02:27 AM
Agree with Angie. :clap: :clap:

Eileen

Rosebudlr
09-14-2004, 11:42 PM
Thankyou very much candienjames and Eileen! My hubby wont let me try to sell this one, He says it belongs to HIM! I did take 3 others I have done now to our local store to display and maybe sell. If that doesnt work, I will seek other options. Thankyou all for your support!