PDA

View Full Version : Hydrangea

emmachester
09-11-2004, 11:02 PM
I'm almost done with this one, just a little bit of tweaking to do. I used Julie's idea of printing the reference photo in grayscale to better see the darks. I usually go way too light, but I think I got the darks this time. I guess I can be trained.

I'm pretty happy with this one, but I can tell from my own reaction to it that it lacks 'zing.' Any ideas on what would make this a more compelling painting?

C & c welcomed--would cropping help?

9x12 Wallis My scan has faint bands of color near the top---what causes that? It's a brand new HP scanner.

Sherry

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Sep-2004/47091-hyrandgea_3.jpg

MollyUnlimited
09-11-2004, 11:09 PM
I love this! I have two of these bushes just outside my livingroom window. You captured them just right! I love the depth and the blossom colors especially.

I think you can give it more punch by adding in some variation on the color of the leaves. They might reflect some blue or lavender from the blossoms or the sky, or they might just have some deeper bluer greens in places and some highlights with color variation.

I think it's lovely just the way it is, however. :clap:

SweetBabyJ
09-12-2004, 12:19 AM
Oh wow! You got the darks in, indeed! The punch you see missing is colour-play- hydrangeas are blue, right? And blue's compliment is orange- so....

You won't need much colour if you play these two against each other. Use a green leaning to orange (if you don't have a nice olive that way, just go in with a green and then lightly scumble a rusty orange over it) in the leaf areas up against some of the flowers which you tint just a bit more with blues- try to keep them "pure" blues, or leaning to purple, but not blue-green. (Purple's complement is yellow- and green has yellow in it, see how it works?) Just do it in a few places- ESPECIALLY around where you want your center of interest to be.

Be sparing with the play- do three little spots and then step way back and look- you'll be able to see then where- and even if- you need to do more.

Way to go!!

(Beats plein aire paintout in the pouring frigging rain, eh?)

Paula Ford
09-12-2004, 09:45 AM
Very lovely Sherry!!

Paula

khourianya
09-12-2004, 01:49 PM
This is great, Sherry. The first thing that jumped out at me was the relatively uniform colouring of the leaves, so what SBJ says makes sense. Be sure to post an update so we can see where you go with this!

emmachester
09-12-2004, 03:17 PM
Molly--thanks for the encouragment. I, too, love hydrangeas and I have 3 in my back yard. They just seem old-fashioned and sweet, kind of like peonies.

Julie--I actually have a couple of orange areas in the painting, but I guess I covered them up. I also underpainted the dark areas in red. I understand the mechanics (sort of), but I don't seem to have my technique down. I'll try adding some orange that you can actually see.

Paula & Cori--Thanks for taking the time to write. Every kind word helps.

I'm going to work a little on the leaves, but in the light of a new day, I'm getting more fond of this one. Hey, I have darks and a focal point! This is big for me.

Sherry

binkie
09-12-2004, 03:19 PM
Great painting. With the suggestions added this one will definitely have the wow factor.

gwen

meowmeow
09-12-2004, 07:15 PM
Very nice. I love hydrangeas! I agree with Julie...good advice. Not far from there though!

Sandy

SweetBabyJ
09-12-2004, 07:31 PM
Molly--thanks for the encouragment. I, too, love hydrangeas and I have 3 in my back yard. They just seem old-fashioned and sweet, kind of like peonies.

Julie--I actually have a couple of orange areas in the painting, but I guess I covered them up. I also underpainted the dark areas in red. I understand the mechanics (sort of), but I don't seem to have my technique down. I'll try adding some orange that you can actually see.

Paula & Cori--Thanks for taking the time to write. Every kind word helps.

I'm going to work a little on the leaves, but in the light of a new day, I'm getting more fond of this one. Hey, I have darks and a focal point! This is big for me.

Sherry

lol- it's great the way it is- nicely matched in chroma- and works well compositionally. YOU'RE the one who said it lacked zip- see what leaving it overnight can do??

Sign it, and go frame shopping- good work here.

Mikki Petersen
09-12-2004, 08:38 PM
OOOOOH! Very close to done! In addition to the olive colors, try a little touch of deep red in the darker shadows. It will sing! Love the subject and you have everything depicted quite well. Now just a tad bit of fine tuning.