PDA

View Full Version : Project Discussion: Paint Your Weak Area

Tom Christopher
09-11-2004, 10:12 PM
A new project has been announced in the WetCanvas! project system!

Title: Paint Your Weak Area
Project Leader: tchris52
Relative Difficulty: Irrelevant
Type Restrictions: Painting
Medium: Pastels
Subject: Not Applicable
Days open for signups: Always
Maximum participants allowed: Unlimited

Description:

Hello Artists, I requested Julie (SBJ) to help write the Project description:

What is the bane of your artistic existence? Landscapes? Still lifes? Portraits? Figures in
general? Skin tones?

Gird your loins, grit your teeth, and give it a go. We'll all be here to coach you on, the landscapists helping with values and the dreaded "greens" of foliage, telling you a whole forest is just a series of shapes; the portraitists with their calipers measuring the distance between eyeballs; the figurists not-quite-breaking-out-into-laughter at the ET fingers, and the still lifers
(? hmmmm) showing you what to emphasize and wondering whether you emptied that wine glass on purpose before starting the ellipses.

Authored by Julie (SweetBabyJ)

So what do you say gang? If nothing else, it will be an excellent exercise in humility. Here are the ground rules:

1. WIPs (works-in-progress) are encouraged;
2. The pastel painting must be new and original;
3. Be sure to ask those artists who specialize in your weak area for help - most likely they started
out making the same mistakes!

Thank you, Tom

THIS PROJECT IS LIMITED TO SOFT PASTELS AND OIL PASTELS ONLY.

Additional Information:

For more information on the project: Click here! (http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_details&proj_id=738)

Remember, in order to help keep the discussions on projects organized, you should post your questions, suggestions, and comments on submitted work here in this thread. By doing this, we allow other non-project efforts to not get "pushed down" by a swarm of project-related threads.

Dark_Shades
09-12-2004, 04:23 AM
lol, didnt quite sound like you :) Tom, well Ive signed up ..... dont know why, just a glutton for punishment I guess :rolleyes:

dexonsbabe
09-12-2004, 05:56 AM
love the idea but seeing as all aspects of pastel painting are my weak areas which one do I go for lol

weckster
09-12-2004, 06:58 AM
have to agree....which weak spot to chose??? Mind you...my worst is definitely portraits!

Deborah Secor
09-12-2004, 09:26 AM
This will be challenging, I'm sure, for all of us! Hey, do you think the 'pros' relish the thought of trying something we're not good at?

I'll take something on...humility is good for the soul. And maybe I'll learn something!

Thanks for doing this project, Tom.

Deborah

judwal
09-12-2004, 11:28 AM
Landscapes are my weakness. I've only just recently just started doing them. So..I'm ready for this project.

SweetBabyJ
09-12-2004, 11:53 AM
That's right- blame it on me! S'okay- my shoulders are broad given my mesomorphic frame, I'll carry the weight- an' I already promised not to laugh AND point at the same time.

I hope some of the pro's join in, too, Deborah- I think it will help others see how to tackle subjects with which one is uncomfortable, and maybe even how to finally "get it".

Kathryn Wilson
09-12-2004, 12:07 PM
Tom/Julie - I'm gonna need a lot of help and advice from you on a still life - especially lighting. I have got my still life elements together, just need to get a good composition.

One question tho - are objects in a garden setting considered a still life? The view is going to be close in - focusing on a strawberry pot, a garden fence for the background, and a basket of strawberries spilling out of the basket onto the ground.

I considered doing this still life inside, but this did not make sense to me - would it?

This is my bane - setting up a still life. :(

I am attaching a photo of the idea of this still life - not sold on the bench, the pot will be way different and will be the focal point, with the basket and stawberries being the secondaries. If anyone remembers my painting of the southern pottery shop, this will be one of those pots (very colorful and beautifully thrown pot) - and I want the painting to be about it.

OR, I COULD FLIP IT! Bear with me, thinking out loud - :)

SweetBabyJ
09-12-2004, 12:47 PM
You could do it inside if you wanted, Kat- still lifes don't have to make sense the same way landscapes do- I mean, it's really rare to see an orchid, and a delicate teacup and saucer, and a half-peeled orange sitting on an immaculate table, dramatically lit in a "real" house- right? But with the garden fence behind it, your objects have a nice charm of place, so you may wish to set it up outside as you have.

My only concern is the lighting- in still life, the shadows are major players- as in portraits- they give volume to objects, and become a gentle way to provide cohesiveness to otherwise disparate objects. Get a flashlight for now, and shine it onto the arrangement from a few angles to see where you're getting the best shadow-play, and then set a spot up and take your ref pic like that. Take a few refs- you never know what ends up being most appealing until you see it in 2-D. One thing I've found is to not have the front edge of your mass of still life objects be a horizontal line- meaning, don't make your viewpoint be from right smack dab in front of the set up, but angled slightly.

Look at the set up and shadows from their own level, and slightly above, and then a few feet above, and see what gives you the most pleasing arrangement. Still lifes are no longer things- but masses of shapes- including shadows- just like in landscapes....

SweetBabyJ
09-12-2004, 12:59 PM
These are some things I noticed that will be difficult to pull off, Kat:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Sep-2004/9169-pot_studyq_2a.jpg

First is the mass of horizontal lines in the top right circle- horizontal lines being "stable" and "calming", and, in this case because there's so many of them there, boring. The fence line is above the top of the pot- and, while it helps to frame it, the tones will be about the same, and it will, in essence, overshadow the pot by "caging" it in. Consider bringing the fence line down below the rim of the pot (lift the pot's height by setting it on a box or something- or just fake it), or put something in the pot to give some verticality there- but then you have to be careful it doesn't draw from the pot, PLUS change your baseline a bit (which is why there's a line there).

The top left circle is because that area is blank and boring- those horizontal lines again. If your light is coming from front right, there should be a nice shadow there for you to play with shape-wise along that fence- but right now, it's just all plain, the same tones, and nothing to catch the eye. Get Thee some light on this! It'll work- promise!

Khadres
09-12-2004, 01:06 PM
I'm with Lori....WHICH weak area??? Maybe, since I've signed up for a figure drawing class, I can post some of those horrible efforts...they'll be in charcoal or conte, tho...I could try some animals, maybe? Hmmmmm, this will bear some thinking...

Kathryn Wilson
09-12-2004, 01:11 PM
LOL - I probably confused the issue by posting this photo, but I was just so excited to actually start on this that I jumped the gun.

The actual pot I am going to use is larger and if I use this bench (this is not a fence), it will be taller than that top slat. I used this pot for playing around with because the other one is so valuable, I felt safer playing with this one just to get the sense of composition. If I use the fence portion I think I will use instead of this bench, the slats will be vertical rather than horizontal. I agree on the lighting - it will be more late afternoon light than this overhead noon-day light.

When I get things put together better, I'll post more photos.

Thanks for helping me think this through - :)

Deborah Secor
09-12-2004, 01:23 PM
There are so many weak areas that I dread, too. I've never done a still life I've liked yet. I mean, I can do rocks and sticks and leaves, but anything done indoors, with the shadows Julie mentioned, of items that have a predictable shape--no way! I find geometrical shapes baffle my eye. The figure and I have a passing acquaintance, but not anything very solid. I'm really not at all interested in portraits--I don't know why.

At this point I'm considering a figure study or two, since the painting I'm working on of the Jerusalem walkway needs a figure and I'm clueless. I saw Sandy's neat start of a street scene (Cheaper Peepers--love the name!) and thought, 'whoa, how can she do all this?' but Preston carries it off all the time. So, maybe that's where I'll go.

Then again, still life is far more challenging to me... Let me think on it...

Deborah

Kathryn Wilson
09-12-2004, 01:46 PM
Join me Dee in my perilous journey down the still life path - : We can commiserate together.

Deborah Secor
09-12-2004, 02:30 PM
Y'know, I was just looking at Julie's Mandarin Eggs (wow--so breathtaking..) and thought, wait--I did those darned eggs for the PJ article and was bold enough to publish them. :eek: You have no idea how I struggled with them! :( The only thing is, I've never painted a pot or teacup or anything glassy or round. So maybe that's the ticket. That or figures? Humph, can't decide. Which one makes me more uncomfortable? Both! Maybe I should do...both...<oof!>

Maybe I need to stop thinking and start looking...

Deborah

SweetBabyJ
09-12-2004, 02:58 PM
Deborah, think of a still life like a small landscape with this caveat: Everything counts.

Painting a still life from life is jes' a smidge more difficult than from a photo in one way, in that your pov often moves just a tad- which throws off object relationships. But you definately get a "truer" view of colours and subtle shadow relationships- so it's a toss-up. That's why I like to work from both set-up AND photo- the photo gives me the appropriate shapes in a static, doesn't-move format, and the set-up shows me the things the photo flattens, and gives me clues to where I can lose an edge, and where I defiantely need to hit it with hard clean hues.

Your eggs were very definately still lifes- and successful ones at that. I dunno if you painted from life or not, but I can tell you this about the photos: The pic should *almost* describe the painting- it doesn't have to be a "bad" pic, but it shouldn't be complete- it should be oh-so-close to what you want- and then you add what it is you want to make it sing to you.

judwal
09-12-2004, 03:01 PM
I'm the first! I posted my progress photo of the landscape I'm painting in the project thread. Do we discuss our progess here? or where?

Oh and I need a name for this. If I choose your suggestion...I will reward you with an all expense paid trip for two or even better your whole family...to the destination of your choice. When you're lying price is no object! ;)

Kathryn Wilson
09-12-2004, 03:08 PM
Judy, you can upload actual photos of your painting in progress at the same page that you signed up for this Project - just go up to Tom's description and you will see "Upload Progess Images". This way, people can comment on them there and it will appear here in this thread - or you can do it just the way you have - BUT don't forget to upload your Final Image so I can be seen in context with the rest of the final images. :)

I like the colors in this so far - looking good!

Tom Christopher
09-12-2004, 03:21 PM
There are so many weak areas that I dread, too. I've never done a still life I've liked yet. I mean, I can do rocks and sticks and leaves, but anything done indoors, with the shadows Julie mentioned, of items that have a predictable shape--no way! I find geometrical shapes baffle my eye. Deborah

Hello artists --I had to be gone a couple of days for work.. just got back home. Looks like the project is well on its way. Deborah--I feel the same way. It seems still lifes intimidate me..I'm going to try to set something up tonight after I settle in..I am going to appoach this project using the same routine I use with landscapes and see where it leads me. I don't suppose setting up some rocks. leaves, tree branches out side would work? . Tom

SweetBabyJ
09-12-2004, 03:23 PM
Hahahaha! Only if you put 'em in a classical Grecian urn and add some drapery behind 'em....

CarlyHardy
09-12-2004, 04:27 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_image&entry_id=39554

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/738/progress/43597/tn_no_name_reduced.jpg

Judy,
excellent use of color in an expressionist style landscape! But I'm not sure what weakness is overcome...you look like a pro to me!
carly

Kitty Wallis
09-12-2004, 04:28 PM
I hope I get to join this one. I'm working on a commission that I promised this month. It's been almost a year.

I've never done a still life I liked..oh except 3... well not the classic kind with pretty things. That and rocks are my bane.

dexonsbabe
09-12-2004, 05:21 PM
Think I need to get to grips with pastels in how to use properly before I join in a project like this :confused:

Kathryn Wilson
09-12-2004, 05:27 PM
Think I need to get to grips with pastels in how to use properly before I join in a project like this :confused:

Nope, not going to get out of this one that easy - :D

This is a perfect project for a newbie - just pick something you are struggling with - if it is pastel strokes or composition or value study, this is THE place to be. You see, we are all still learning - especially me. From the looks of it, there is going to be a lot of hand-holding on this one - :eek:

dexonsbabe
09-12-2004, 05:41 PM
just pick something you are struggling with - if it is pastel strokes or composition or value studyng

seems at moment I'm struggling with all the above but maybe I should start with just the pastel strokes lol

pjo
09-12-2004, 05:57 PM
Oh my, I've been wanting to try a still life, I think I've done just a few and only one in pastel for the blue bottles project and it was not very successful. I have had one in mind for awhile, a still life of "picante sauce", what I mean is painting the ingredients for it along with the finished product. I took some photos a few weeks ago with this in mind and think this will be my "push".http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Sep-2004/39207-IM001490s.JPG http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Sep-2004/39207-IM001490smcrps.JPGI'm not sure which one to use yet, I like the crop, but am not sure you can tell what the canning jar behind it is. So, I guess I'll give it a go. I suppose I should sign up now too in the project forum. Thanks for coming up with such a good idea!

judwal
09-12-2004, 05:59 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_image&entry_id=39554

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/738/progress/43597/tn_no_name_reduced.jpg

Judy,
excellent use of color in an expressionist style landscape! But I'm not sure what weakness is overcome...you look like a pro to me!
carly
Well...thank you Carly. But you know that up until I came to this site just a few months ago...I had never even attempted a landscape. They just scared me to death. It wasn't til I looked and watched and listened to what you all were doing that I even got the nerve to try one. But Yes...I think I am getting it and I'm getting a lot more confident with each new piece that I try. And now I think I will be doing many more landscapes. They really are a lot of fun too!

Kitty Wallis
09-12-2004, 06:09 PM
I agree with Carly,
I wanted to comment earlier but I couldn't find the weakness so I decided to wait while and look at it again. I like it. :)

Khadres
09-12-2004, 06:29 PM
Judy, that landscape is SIZZLING! You've already perfected the landscape anyway! Lessee....you've also done interiors....lotsa flowers, water, etc. HEY! You don't HAVE any weak areas! No fair!!! Whineeeeeeeee!!!

Pjo, your set-up looks good enough to eat! Can't wait to see what you do with it!

Deborah, I'm with you on the still life thing...I've done them, but none I was crazy about, altho I'd have been VERY happy to have done your egg ones. I'd kinda like to tackle figures in the landscape too sometime....not detailed portraiture, but convincing humanoids relating to whatever the scene is...

I hate having to make decisions....arghhhhhhhhhhhh

Tom Christopher
09-12-2004, 06:33 PM
Hello artists. You know I had a dentist appointment last week--I think that was more fun--Just kidding--here is my frst( and likely last) attempt at a still life--this is about 1 1/2 hrs old -- All comments welcome--remember SBJ you promised not to laugh! --painted on wallis--thank You Tom

SweetBabyJ
09-12-2004, 07:00 PM

Oh well done! Nice colour play!! You've made it look easy- what do you think you learned, Judy?

As for what you do next- do another- maybe another landscape if you're still not feeling confident, or perhaps something else. If you're a "blender", try a piece with no blending, if you depend upon stroke-work to carry the piece, try something where smooth passages of colour are necessary. Just pick something which kinda intimidates you and go for it!

SweetBabyJ
09-12-2004, 07:06 PM
Hello artists. You know I had a dentist appointment last weak--I think that was more fun--Just kidding--here is my frst( and likely last) attempt at a still life--this is about 1 1/2 hrs old -- I only have one question thus far.. is there a chance of saving this from the recycle bin?--painted on wallis--thank You Tom Yes, Tom, there's a great deal to save here.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=166014

You've got a nice comp going, (but where's the remote??) and good use of colour so far (lotta people have trouble not using grays in still lifes at first- they keep trying to "draw" it)

Now you need to slow down and get deliberate- look and see where you can lose edges, and where you can echo colours. Get those in , and then slow down even more and make clean, crisp edges to contrast. Keep your shadow areas (nice comp!) full of colour, and it's going to be fine. You may hate the genre still, but this will be successful from the strength you already have going here.

khourianya
09-12-2004, 07:07 PM
I have had one in mind for awhile, a still life of "picante sauce", what I mean is painting the ingredients for it along with the finished product. I took some photos a few weeks ago with this in mind and think this will be my "push".

No Fair! You're making me hungry for exactly what you have pictured! :p I think I'll just make a quick run to the store...

...Then I'll start on my first pastel portrait... :rolleyes: That is definitely where I am weakest!

Tom Christopher
09-12-2004, 07:16 PM
Yes, Tom, there's a great deal to save here.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=166014

You've got a nice comp going, (but where's the remote??) and good use of colour so far (lotta people have trouble not using grays in still lifes at first- they keep trying to "draw" it)

Now you need to slow down and get deliberate- look and see where you can lose edges, and where you can echo colours. Get those in , and then slow down even more and make clean, crisp edges to contrast. Keep your shadow areas (nice comp!) full of colour, and it's going to be fine. You may hate the genre still, but this will be successful from the strength you already have going here.

Thanks Much SBJ for the help--actually this is a good exercise and it forces me to concentrate and make each pastel stroke count. I 'm curious to see what it will look like when it's finished--I sure it will go thu many stages. Tom

SweetBabyJ
09-12-2004, 07:21 PM
Paula, I think that set-up will work quite well- especially if you cut off a bit of the bottom- it isn't really necessary to the piece. Also think you should maybe lean your background wall there a bit darker than it is showing- a light-medium value, perhaps- not so dark as your star players there, but easily darker than any of the shadowing on the cloth.

The close crop is interesting, but a different jar shape- short and squat, would work better as the shape- even while being partly out of frame- would be more easily explicable. Unless... here's a thought- can you get enough of the "Ball" logo to show, maybe? Like, the B and a and then a hint of the L- I know it's not showing on the pic, but you know what it looks like, right?

Deborah Secor
09-12-2004, 08:05 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_image&entry_id=39562

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/738/progress/23609/tn_spoon-basket_under.jpg

Here's my humble, crooked Spoon Basket.

I struggled! I started composing still lifes and hated everything I pulled out. So I just walked around my house taking snaps of things, figuring this would be a real-life still life. I settled on the basket of spoons my husband made, on my 70s orange counter, with my red chile jar and salt shaker. I did okay till I got to the salt shaker!

I already corrected the perspective on the bottom of it, but if you have other picks, tell me now! Ooooo, the top of the darn basket looks wonky, too. What is it about looking at them smaller that helps you see? Well, when I put on the color I'll lose all the drawing anyway!!

This is only charcoal and a little gray pastel pencil on a toned piece of Wallis paper, about 9x12.

help.. who thought of this project anyway...?

Deborah

Deborah Secor
09-12-2004, 08:17 PM

Wow--neat colors, Judy! I love it... I jinked with mine in a program too, but just to posterize the colors and clarify the lines so I could see it better. Yuo've gone one better... Really lively. :D

Okay now, Kitty, add your name to the list of participants and come on along!

And Julie, what is it you're doing for this project??? Hmmmmmmm? :p

Deborah

SweetBabyJ
09-12-2004, 08:20 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_image&entry_id=39562

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/738/progress/23609/tn_spoon-basket_under.jpg

Wonky basket looks okay- it's a basket- no one expects it to be perfectly round, especially after twenty years. You fixed the salt shaker, so that distraction is gone. Now- whatcha gonna do- draw it or paint it?

You've got all your ground lines in, Deborah- all your markers- and it's a solid composition, going to be good colours, and nice range of values- remember to get your darks in first on each object- easier to lighten a dark- yada yadda.

You can do this- you have our permission to go play with colour now; just remember to stay in the lines- hahaha!

judwal
09-12-2004, 11:09 PM

I think it's coming along very nicely Deborah.

judwal
09-12-2004, 11:14 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_image&entry_id=39584

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/738/progress/43597/tn_No_Name_again_reduced.jpg

Okay..I had so much fun with "NO Name" that I decided to paint her twin Sister...same size, paper and colors. It looks a little dark here. Shows better in RL of course.

Tomorrow I'm going to try another perspective painting. I took photos of the courtyard at Boston Public Garden and it's got lots of columns. I usually avoid this subject so I'm going to give it a try. Wanna join me again Julie?

SweetBabyJ
09-12-2004, 11:49 PM
I'm attempting a landscape, Judy- and trying to remember all the advice from Tom and Deborah and all on it. I'm laying in wide swathes of colour and tone, and find myself having to smack my own hand when I go for details too soon. It's slow, and my hand hurts. Prolly gonna be bruised. Poor me.

One more photo tomorrow morning and I'll upload progress shots, promise. Until then- well, we'll just all hafta empathize with each other....

CarlyHardy
09-13-2004, 01:34 AM

Dee, I love the way you've worked out the values with a monochromatic color scheme. However, the overall composition seems crowded because all the items are so closely set together. Look at the overall plane and see if you can think of a way to give each item some importance? The salt shaker is rather lost centered next to the basket. The three shapes work well together but they each need a voice.

Don't you just love composition!!
carly :D

prestonsega
09-13-2004, 02:38 AM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_image&entry_id=39584

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/738/progress/43597/tn_No_Name_again_reduced.jpg

Judy..these are ...electrifying,,,beautiful use of color.....amazing....My jaw dropped when I saw these.....I can see these hanging side by side in a contemporary gallery. :clap: :clap:

judwal
09-13-2004, 09:20 AM

Judy..these are ...electrifying,,,beautiful use of color.....amazing....My jaw dropped when I saw these.....I can see these hanging side by side in a contemporary gallery. :clap: :clap:
Thank you so much. That's the way I see them too...hanging together.

Tom Christopher
09-13-2004, 10:26 AM
Very nice work--the colors are unusual and you handled them beautifully-- thank you Tom

Deborah Secor
09-13-2004, 11:36 AM
Dee, I love the way you've worked out the values with a monochromatic color scheme. However, the overall composition seems crowded because all the items are so closely set together. Look at the overall plane and see if you can think of a way to give each item some importance? The salt shaker is rather lost centered next to the basket. The three shapes work well together but they each need a voice.

Don't you just love composition!!
carly :D

I'm intrigued with this thought but puzzled as to how that might happen in the execution of this painting. My thoughts on 'giving each one a voice' concern the color application, light and shadow.

Going at it from a landscape perspective (my only recourse) I want to put some air between the salt shaker and the basket, just as I would a little light colored bush in front of a big dark colored one. I hope to give the salt shaker a color identity that makes it stand in front by keeping it lighter in color and giving it more importance with highlights and shadows. I also plan to pick out the light between the two.

As for the chile jar, I think it needs to take a supporting role. It ties together the color of the basket and the counter, and it's medium-to-slightly-lighter highlights should lead the eye through this slightly darker area of the composition.

The basket and spoons are the star, so I'll take time to put the most detail there, I think. The plan is to have the light and shadow on the spoons curve the eye down to the highlights on the chile jar, stopping at the salt shaker momentarily, then moving up via the light on the counter and some subtle highlights on the basket to the spoons again. Good plan--now we'll see what becomes of it!

Carly--or any of you more experienced still life painters--I'm open to more than cryptic suggestions! LOL :wink2: If you want to explain to me what else might be done to create separate identities (voice) and a sense of air before I go into the color, most likely not till Wednesday, I'd appreciate it!

Oh--and here's the same photo cropped to the image size (if it's ever framed--unlikely, but perceptually important.)
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Sep-2004/23609-spoon-basket_under2.JPG
I'm wondering if it looks even more crowded! Yikes! Hmmm, considering a crop from bottom and right side. Any advice? It seems counter-intuitive, but might give more compositional air...

<hyperventilating again> Deborah

Deborah Secor
09-13-2004, 11:45 AM
Hello artists. You know I had a dentist appointment last week--I think that was more fun--Just kidding--here is my frst( and likely last) attempt at a still life--this is about 1 1/2 hrs old -- All comments welcome--remember SBJ you promised not to laugh! --painted on wallis--thank You Tom

Tom, have you uploaded this to the Project yet? I think it looks great. I love your colors and the overall composition is quite pleasing. You're brave to try a vase like that one, but it definitely looks like a piece of pottery! Is it in the progress images or the finished ones??

Can't agree that the dentist is more fun, though in my day I've met some retired Nazis who took up the dental profession, which may account for that. Still, it's very odd approaching a painting with so much...fear...time...consideration...thought...apprehension. Usually I just blithely go at it, win or lose!

Deborah

SweetBabyJ
09-13-2004, 12:22 PM
I don't see the composition as a problem, Deborah- it is a tight, compact arangement, surely, but very definately overlaps and the shapes all work well with and against each other. I cannot see the smooth-hard of the salt shaker getting "lost" against the rough-natural texture of the basket, either- and can see the "air" between the two items, so that isn't a problem. About the only off-compositional thing I note at all is the front corners of the salt shaker and the chile jar forming a near-horizontal line- but to me, that's a "rule" which is more a word of caution to LOOK- and you've solved the problem (without even knowing it existed, most likely) by keeping all of the objects so dissimiliar in size and height. If you crop in from the bottom, though, that line will become more apparent.

Might I suggest, if that empty counter space really bothers you, that you lay a nice, bright wrinkly chile there as a fulcrum, kinda? Not centered- but to break that line. It gives you an odd number of items, then, because the spoons- while basket-hue'd- are verticals compared to the basket which is horizontal so they can easily be considered two items rather than one "shape".

And if you wanted to get REALLY fancy- making those some neatly decorated Mexican tiles behind would really *WOW*! the piece!!

Okay, okay- I'll go get my own pics taken an upload 'em 'stead of just commenting on everyone else's- sheeeesh! Harsh taskmasters around here!

Tom Christopher
09-13-2004, 12:47 PM
[QUOTE=dee_artist]Tom, have you uploaded this to the Project yet? I think it looks great. I love your colors and the overall composition is quite pleasing. You're brave to try a vase like that one, but it definitely looks like a piece of pottery! Is it in the progress images or the finished ones??

Thanks For commenting Deborah..the painting is going better than I thought. I'm going to work on it some more tonight. I will upload the images tonight after work...Tom

SweetBabyJ
09-13-2004, 01:07 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_image&entry_id=39590

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/738/progress/9169/tn_baneproj03.jpg

Okay, this is where I'm at, and will start to consolidate and clean from the top left to the bottom right. How'm I doing all you landscapists?

Kathryn Wilson
09-13-2004, 01:27 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_image&entry_id=39590

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/738/progress/9169/tn_baneproj03.jpg

Looking good so far! I like the yellow sky (yay, no blue!!!) and the purple shadows coming in at an angle. One thing you might want to look at is the horizon line at the back by the last tree - but then again, you aren't finished yet either - :)

Tom Christopher
09-13-2004, 01:28 PM

Going good so far SBJ..At this point I would determine a focal point..I would choose the area where the sun seems to be the brightest- presently it is in the center of the piece--the problem..is if this is the focal area the shadows, from the trees would need point in a different direction. If you want the sun to shine from right to left( as it is now) I would take some bright white (schmicke) and enhace a bright area where the sun is the brightest. Next darken the shadows for more impact --going good-- after this need to concentrate on the vegetation --would like to hear Deborah's view --Tom

judwal
09-13-2004, 01:32 PM

I love the colors you've got going here...especially the gold and orange in the foreground.

Kathryn Wilson
09-13-2004, 01:32 PM
Hi Deborah, I'm liking the objects and the tonal values for this still life - but I have to agree with Carly - it looks rather crowded. You could put some space in the painting by separating one of the elements from the basket more. I think the crop is too severe - it just chops off too much of the utensils.

How about flipping it vertically to see how that looks - simple enough in PS.

SweetBabyJ
09-13-2004, 01:33 PM
I was figuring that nice little dip back left for a focal point, Tom, especially with that congregation of tree trunks there. Does that work?

Tom Christopher
09-13-2004, 01:41 PM
I was figuring that nice little dip back left for a focal point, Tom, especially with that congregation of tree trunks there. Does that work?

Excellent-That 's where I would position it..Tom

Dark_Shades
09-13-2004, 05:29 PM
WOW, cant believe the activity in here already.... gotta say, just LOVE seeing still lifes from Tom and Dee :clap: .... SBJ, your landscape is off to a great start....... as for me, Im still surfing for a landscape photo that shouts..... 'Paint Me'!!! ...'Paint Me'!!! .. so Im still surfing :D

Tom Christopher
09-13-2004, 07:40 PM
Hello Artists--my brain is on shut down--am I supposed to upload images on this thread or in the project?--I've never been in one of these projects before and here I am the coodinator. Anyway, here the most recent photo. the details and color combinations are trying my limited patience. BTW I uploaded this image in the project also...C/C please--thank you Tom

Kathryn Wilson
09-13-2004, 08:36 PM
Hi Tom - when doing a Project, it is best to upload in the Project itself (either in the Work in Progress or Final Images). You can then go back and make a "comment" on your painting in the Project system if you want to tell more about it and it will appear hear in this thread automatically, along with the photo of your painting. One reason for doing it this way is that other people all across Wet Canvas can see what you are doing in the Project - and that you will get credit for your final image towards the Project Participation Ribbon award. If neither of those things are important to you, posting in the thread the way you just did is fine!

You will also notice that if you post your work in the Project system, all the paintings show up together in a gallery-like setting and they can be viewed all together.

Deborah Secor
09-13-2004, 08:39 PM
First time for everyone, Tom! The quick and easy way is to go to the top of this page and drop down the menu under Content Areas, then click on Art Project System. When you get there select this project and sign up for the project--a formality the computer needs, I guesss--and then choose Upload Your Progress Images of Upload Your Finished Images. You'll likely find your way from there!

I'll be back, as they say...

Deborah

Ha! Guess Kat and I cross posted the same sorta answer... LOL

SweetBabyJ
09-13-2004, 08:44 PM
Hate to disappoint you, Tom, but you may be almost done with this. It's pretty darned strong as it is- I cannot see how "finishing it" would make it better. I understand those are still grid marks showing and all in the upper left- but, so? They do not in any way detract, but rather give the whole a nice abstract-y feel because they echo the squares of the quilt.

Maybe you should let it sit a bit now (Monday Night Football and all**) and catch glimpses of it to see what you think it really needs. I'm a bit unsure about the strong black lines coming from the top of the vase thingie, and would like to see more colour in the shadows, but really, I can't see much more it needs.

**Looks to be a decent football season shaping up maybe- Dallas lost, and the Steelers won. Bodes well. Any week Dallas loses any major sporting event is a good week :D (<-----personal opinion, not to be confused with any recommendation to despise Dallas football teams....)

Tom Christopher
09-13-2004, 09:00 PM
[QUOTE=SweetBabyJ]Hate to disappoint you, Tom, but you may be almost done with this. It's pretty darned strong as it is- I cannot see how "finishing it" would make it better. I understand those are still grid marks showing and all in the upper left- but, so? They do not in any way detract, but rather give the whole a nice abstract-y feel because they echo the squares of the quilt.

Maybe you should let it sit a bit now (Monday Night Football and all**) and catch glimpses of it to see what you think it really needs. I'm a bit unsure about the strong black lines coming from the top of the vase thingie, and would like to see more colour in the shadows, but really, I can't see much more it needs.

Thanks SBJ--this has been a big departure for me. I'm at a point where if I add more it may change the whole feel--so I'm going to take your advise and watch football tonight. Looking forward to viewing other artist's works as the project moves forward.. Tom

Dark_Shades
09-14-2004, 08:39 AM
Hello Artists--my brain is on shut down--am I supposed to upload images on this thread or in the project?--I've never been in one of these projects before and here I am the coodinator. Anyway, here the most recent photo. the details and color combinations are trying my limited patience. BTW I uploaded this image in the project also...C/C please--thank you Tom

Tom this is coming along beautifully.... its gorgeous ...... and you REALLY should do more still lifes, you are a natural :clap:

Tom Christopher
09-14-2004, 09:48 AM
Tom this is coming along beautifully.... its gorgeous ...... and you REALLY should do more still lifes, you are a natural :clap:

Hey Thanks DS..I don't know about being a natural--after all the complaining needless frustration I went thru, the painting was the easy part. The hardest part for me was trying to come up with a suitable composition. Tom

SweetBabyJ
09-14-2004, 12:09 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_image&entry_id=39620

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/738/completed/9169/tn_baneprojectfini.jpg

*whimper* Can I be done now???

Kathryn Wilson
09-14-2004, 12:17 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_image&entry_id=39620

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/738/completed/9169/tn_baneprojectfini.jpg

Julie, not sure about that one tree way in the back that is not blue. Talk to me about what you are trying to do with that tree - I don't want to presume to know what it is you are thinking and give you wrong advice.

Tom Christopher
09-14-2004, 12:27 PM

It's done when you say its done..Altho I would like some details in the foregound trees..some texture in the bark.. a few limbs etc., vegetation? Are you really ready to end this journey or just stopped to catch your breath?? Tom

SweetBabyJ
09-14-2004, 01:10 PM
HellifIknow, Kat- it was brown compared to the others- figured it was more a cottonwood, or maybe one which caught the light differently. It doesn't stand out too much in real, just enough to pull your attention back there- which I cannot think of as a bad thing.

*NOW* you want details, Tom- sheeeeeeesh! :rolleyes: :p Make up your mind!! Have you ever seen the woodpecker I did? I put in all the bark AND the little beetle tracks where bark was missing. I don't mind doing it again- I thought it needed it, too, but seems everytime I do something like that I get yowled at for putting in too many details. There's a lot of scumbling going on in the mid-front tree trunk- but I know it doesn't show well in the resize here. I'll see if I can get to it this afternoon after a trip to town and all- and yes, I want to be done because (I bet you feel this way too) no matter how much more work I put into it, I don't think I can really *improve* it- just change it a bit, fuss with it, but I don't think it can be "improved". It's as good as it gets- which isn't saying much, but there it is.

You want individual pine needles too? I can do 'em yanno....

Kathryn Wilson
09-14-2004, 01:57 PM
LOL - Julie, we must be confusing you no end - :rolleyes: The reason I asked is that, to me, it is confusing that it is a different color than the others - and that maybe the sunlight was peeking through the smoke and hitting that tree. In that case, I would use the same color on the shadow side of the tree as the others and leave the lit side as is - I think it would unify it more with the other trees surrounding it. It would still draw your eye back there.

As to details, not many, I like the sparseness of it - when a stand of trees is so thick, the vegetation dies away under the canopy, so this made sense to me - especially for a stand of pinetrees.

Kathryn Wilson
09-14-2004, 02:00 PM
Probably asking where my still life is - we've been having such awful cloudy days here, that the light has not been good outdoors. So I am working with a still life composition right now that involves **horrors** glass - trying to find the right combination of objects. :(

pjo
09-14-2004, 02:12 PM
I finally got a 2 hour start on this. It's 16 X 12 on wallis with softies. I can tell right off that the elipse on the jar lid is off, I think the rest of the elipses are ok. The reds looks a little flat too, not enough color variation. And I'm thinking that the white cloth needs to be a little lighter in value to show more contrast. And also planning to speckle the salsa a bit more, in the photo you can see bits of jalepeno, seeds, and a little more texture, I just haven't gotten that far into it yet. My questions are...what is the star in this or what should be, I'm having a hard time making a decision. Are the shadows leading into the painting or out? Thanks for looking and all you still life experts thanks in advance for commenting.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Sep-2004/39207-IM001517s.JPG
PS, I can also see I need to work on that purpley, pink strip on the jar.

pjo
09-14-2004, 02:20 PM

Hi Julie, well how does it feel to be the first one done? I really like the colors you have chosen, and the strong verticals and diagonals keep this very interesting. I'd say you are done when are happy with what you've achieved here.

pjo
09-14-2004, 02:31 PM
Deborah-can't wait to see what you do with adding color to this, I understand what you are saying about being "crowded", but as I'm not really sure what I'm talking about I can't help here. I can see that it seems to be an interesting composition, there is a variety of height, and shapes that are going to be real interesting.

Tom-Again, I'm not a still life painter, I'll leave suggestions to those who are, but I really like the colors, and the patchwork cloth is really coming along nicely, it seems to set off the simplicity of the shapes in the other items.

Judy-The twins are gorgeous, very vibrant, and glowing. Are they done? They look like it to me, they both are very strong paintings. I wish I could help with names, but that is always a stumper for me, most of the time I don't pick out a title until I need to.

lindadavis
09-14-2004, 03:12 PM
Judy,

I know I'm late but I love your landscape. The distribution of color is really nice. Well done.

Linda

dragonlady
09-14-2004, 03:41 PM
I'll give this a try. I've never painted a still life and I've been wanting to try out Julie's glass lesson so I'll go for broke here. I'm sure I'll be needing some help on this, Julie.

I've been following the thread and it's been really interesting seeing something different from each of you. There's some really good work going on here.

Dark_Shades
09-14-2004, 05:34 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_image&entry_id=39637

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/738/progress/43451/tn_glass1.jpg

I just happened to see this as I uploaded mine....... it looked finished in the tiny head..... excellent..... this will be stunning when completed am sure..... it looks really good even at this stage.... well done

Dark_Shades
09-14-2004, 05:43 PM
My questions are...what is the star in this or what should be, I'm having a hard time making a decision. Are the shadows leading into the painting or out? Thanks for looking and all you still life experts thanks in advance for commenting.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Sep-2004/39207-IM001517s.JPG
PS, I can also see I need to work on that purpley, pink strip on the jar.

I thought your reds wonderful, look so solid.... along with the greens, which are perfect.... splendid... love the sheen too.... as for the 'star', all the pieces are so close and lit by the same source, I dont think you could pick out one..... they are all stars...... the only fold that bothers me some, as you mentioned, is the bottom one, that does tend to lead your eye out

.... really good work here.... like this one alot

Kathryn Wilson
09-14-2004, 06:10 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_image&entry_id=39639

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/738/progress/12116/tn_WintersMorn.jpg

Dawn, I think I would recognize a painting of yours anywhere - the style is all your own. This is looking good!

dragonlady
09-14-2004, 06:12 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_image&entry_id=39639

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/738/progress/12116/tn_WintersMorn.jpg

Looks good Dawn, I like the composition with the trees on the left leaning in over the lane which leads the eye in. I'm sure I can see some green in the grasses. :)

Kathryn Wilson
09-14-2004, 06:14 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_image&entry_id=39626

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/738/progress/39207/tn_IM001517s.JPG

PJ - this is coming along very nicely! If you feel you have too much red, why not a green tomato? I think the jar should be the star, but the other reds are drawing my eye away from it. I agree with Dawn, that one fold does lead the eye out of the painting, but I thought the painting might benefit from a slight crop at the bottom anyway.

Tom Christopher
09-14-2004, 06:22 PM

I really like this.. Very well balenced and the colors work well together.. Tom

Deborah Secor
09-14-2004, 07:32 PM

Julie--this is fantastic! I love the complements and the overall movement is great. I think the use of oranges is inspired here and particularly like the way you've used the orange tree in the back left to keep the eye moving to the end of the pathway. I'd call it finished.

Deborah

Deborah Secor
09-14-2004, 07:36 PM

This one is so lyrical. Love the subtle fall colors--it suits my fallish mood somehow. The only pick I have is that the bits of dark blues jump out in the fore. Other than that I don't see as you need to do a lot more! Very nice...

Deborah

Deborah Secor
09-14-2004, 07:46 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_image&entry_id=39626

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/738/progress/39207/tn_IM001517s.JPG

Hoowhee, PJ, is there anything you don't paint well? I'm gonna take my humble little still life and go home... :eek: This is supposed to be painting your WEAK area... :D No, this is a gorgeous start! You should be thrilled to death with it. I know you have more to do, but it has some real pizzazz already. I spect highlights on the glass will feature the jar, along with the seedy look, but the focal area is the overall shape of the subject to me. Very nice!!

Deborah

Tom Christopher
09-14-2004, 07:59 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_image&entry_id=39644

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/738/completed/35607/tn_framed_still_best.JPG

Took SBJ's advise and called this finished.. I tried to add some detail tonight but it started to lose freshness.. I will try some more still lifes this winter when the landscape is covered with snow..Comments welcome Thank you Tom

judwal
09-14-2004, 08:02 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_image&entry_id=39637

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/738/progress/43451/tn_glass1.jpg

Nice beginning. Love all the shades of blue it this.

judwal
09-14-2004, 08:10 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_image&entry_id=39644

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/738/completed/35607/tn_framed_still_best.JPG

Great color and composition. I really like this a lot!

Kathryn Wilson
09-14-2004, 09:22 PM
Yelp! I can't decide - I was playing with these all day. Couldn't get the light on the rose just right, so did the other. I love the light and shadows coming through the bowl.

Thumbnails on WC always seem to show the flaws, so maybe this will do the trick.

judwal
09-14-2004, 09:28 PM
Yelp! I can't decide - I was playing with these all day. Couldn't get the light on the rose just right, so did the other. I love the light and shadows coming through the bowl.

Thumbnails on WC always seem to show the flaws, so maybe this will do the trick.
Gee...I don't know..but it's not a difficult decision for me. I looooove the crop on the left with the rose. I'd love to do that one myself!

dragonlady
09-15-2004, 06:02 AM

Judy, love what you did with the colours of this, makes a striking painting that really works.

dragonlady
09-15-2004, 06:45 AM

I think this is really successful, for me the level of detail you have is fine. I like the way you have caught the contrasting textures - the rough texture of the basket, the smooth apples and embroidered cloth. Although you have lots of colours they all work well together.

AJR
09-15-2004, 01:09 PM

Ok I am a lurker. :(
Been lurking around this project since it started.
I have had oil pastels for several years in a box but never touched them (too scared!!).
Saw this one and thought it looked amazing!! I can not wait for the next step to be posted,(I do love all the others and often sit intranced with them all).
I am learning and plucking up the courage to dust off the oil pastels by watching all the work grow along with the superb comments and advice given!).
Better go back into lurking mode now that I have broken cover! :D

Amanda

Dark_Shades
09-15-2004, 01:22 PM

Tom I really hope you dont wait till Winter..... I LOVE your still lifes!!!! .... is there a clearer bigger image of it, the one I can see looks a bit pixilated.... so its a bit hard to see, my only thoughts were perhaps the front apple needed abit more work and depth...... but regardless, is a brilliant and stunning piece.... and to think its your first!!!! .... Id love a closer look at the cloth too, .....as you guyz say lol.... awesome

Dark_Shades
09-15-2004, 01:30 PM

Ok I am a lurker. :(
Been lurking around this project since it started.
I have had oil pastels for several years in a box but never touched them (too scared!!).
Saw this one and thought it looked amazing!! I can not wait for the next step to be posted,(I do love all the others and often sit intranced with them all).
I am learning and plucking up the courage to dust off the oil pastels by watching all the work grow along with the superb comments and advice given!).
Better go back into lurking mode now that I have broken cover! :D

Amanda
Ohhhh No, you dont!!!.... you cant de-lurk now lol, you broke cover ha ha ha..... we've spied you :) ....I hope you have only disappeared to blow off that dust from the pastels..... and a raring to go....

Everything to gain by joining in ....... we are all really friendly, and only bite on occassions :)

look forward to seeing you post some work..... no pressure, ....... any time today will do :D

thank you for your kind comments..... I just really feel uncomfortable about my landscapes

Kathryn Wilson
09-15-2004, 03:28 PM
Gee...I don't know..but it's not a difficult decision for me. I looooove the crop on the left with the rose. I'd love to do that one myself!

Judy, you are welcome to use the photo for a soft pastel version. I've decided to do this one in oil pastels - I have space limitations and since I am in the midst of doing a rather large soft pastel in my studio, I thought I could do an oil pastel here in the house -

It would be neat to see the same set-up done in two different mediums. So, if you are game, have at it!

Dark_Shades
09-15-2004, 04:35 PM

Kat ..... all your photos look great.... which one will you decide on? ..... loved the pitcher on the wooden bench too..... would be interested to know how you set up your still lifes..... anyone come to that..... I never seem to get good lighting and shadows.... never sure what to use as a backdrop or to lay things on..... so any tips and tricks anyone wants to share

Dark_Shades
09-15-2004, 04:38 PM

what an imagination of colour...... this could almost be a day and night image..... good one, well done

Dark_Shades
09-15-2004, 05:04 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_image&entry_id=39682

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/738/completed/12116/tn_WintersMorna.jpg

Ok, this is mine done..... or so I think lol, comes to a point gotta stop tinkering.... but please let me know what you think.......

Does it look wintery......
does it look misty....

...... is it any good? ..... I really can not gauge what I do when doing landscapes :p

Kat lol, can you really tell ANY of my paintings .... any subject ... :eek: lol, I dont know if thats a good or bad thing :D

Dee I noted what you said about the blue ..... on my monitor and in real it looks fine...... its always puzzled me why certain colours jump out in digi pic..... especially blues and oranges.... and some one explained it recently in a thread...... but 'um :o .... cant quite remember.... something about RGB's .... think will go dig that out and come back lol

Deborah Secor
09-15-2004, 06:05 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_image&entry_id=39685

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/738/progress/23609/tn_Spoon_Basket_%2B2.jpg

Here's my second layer, ready for your eagle eyes... I'm so tired after staying up until midnight painting on this (yes, I fixed the color today) that I uploaded the image twice!

So, tell me what to do now! I'm ready to be finished with it.

Deborah

judwal
09-15-2004, 07:21 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_image&entry_id=39685

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/738/progress/23609/tn_Spoon_Basket_%2B2.jpg

I think it looks great Deborah. When are you starting your second still life?
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Sep-2004/43597-smile_wink.gif

Dark_Shades
09-15-2004, 07:26 PM

well I for One am absolutely and thoroughly enjoying seeing these Still Lifes coming out from you landscape painters ..... well, if for when you get to a point you can not see anymore..... try flipping the image in your software programme... or looking at it in a mirror.... teeny bit more work Dee, and it really is done..... some very minor nit picks..... perhaps straighten the edge of the salt cellar at the bottom, I know the thick chunky glass can dip at the the base, but the salt is a little too far angled. ... angles, everso slightly off on the glassware... love the chunkiness you got with both containers, and love the sparkkle of the lids .... I would perhaps just alter the elipse of the basket on the left as we view, needs to go down ... ... and just add a bit of shadow interest on the right edge of left utensil...... Dont ya Just Lurvvvvv Still Lifes...... wonderful warm colours..... I dont know if its seeing so much of SBJ's Orange and blue lol, but I keep thinking would like to see some in here too ...... its a realll good strong piece Dee, well done to you ...... and for all, giving it a 'go' when its not your norm ...... leave it awhile, and you will come back refreshed...... even if gritting your teeth lol .....

.... what is it, that you dont like doing them, is it the nuances of it all

Deborah Secor
09-15-2004, 07:34 PM
It's like tatting lace, Dawn! My shoulders get knotted up, my brow furrows, I bite my tongue and after a while my head aches. Other than that... :rolleyes:

Deborah

Tom Christopher
09-15-2004, 08:07 PM

Tom I really hope you dont wait till Winter..... I LOVE your still lifes!!!! .... is there a clearer bigger image of it, the one I can see looks a bit pixilated.... so its a bit hard to see, my only thoughts were perhaps the front apple needed abit more work and depth...... but regardless, is a brilliant and stunning piece.... and to think its your first!!!! .... Id love a closer look at the cloth too, .....as you guyz say lol.... awesome

Thanks for commenting DS. I attempted to photograph the painting after it was framed under glass.. I will try another tonight.. Altho the apple could use some more attention . I didn't really want to spend alot of time on tedious details so I attempted to add them (details) to a focal area much like I do with landscapes.. I 'm convinced this was a good experience and will try another still life..Just don't know when.. thank you Tom

Kathryn Wilson
09-15-2004, 08:37 PM
Kat lol, can you really tell ANY of my paintings .... any subject ... :eek: lol, I dont know if thats a good or bad thing :D

I think it's good - it means you've developed your own style and color palette of working.

Kathryn Wilson
09-15-2004, 08:38 PM

I long to see some blues in those shadows - other than that, it works!

SweetBabyJ
09-15-2004, 10:09 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community...&entry_id=39685

It's like tatting lace, Dawn! My shoulders get knotted up, my brow furrows, I bite my tongue and after a while my head aches. Other than that... :rolleyes:

Deborah

See? Now you know how I feel about landscapes- I'll do 'em, but I'm not yet happy about it, and it makes me feel as if I am emptying the ocean with a leaky bucket.

However....

Deborah- you're *so* close to a really sparkling piece- a *wow*! piece- so very close. Punch it now- play the colour some and punch it like you would a sparkling landscape. It definately needs a dark greeny-blue- just a few well-placed strokes- to play against the reds and cool it a bit. And PUNCH where the light it hitting- see those back spoons? Increase the darks a bit and see them pop out as lit and shadowed forms- then you'll see where to hit that basket the same way.

It's very, very good, Deborah- but I long to see you PUNCH it now the way you do your other works.

pjo
09-16-2004, 01:17 AM

Deborah, I love the warm colors in this one. And I really like the cool wall in back, it really contrasts with the objects in front. I can understand what others are suggesting that by adding some cooler colors in some of the shadows and the further back spoons may pop this more and make it even more interesting, adding a little more variety to the "foreground".

pjo
09-16-2004, 01:22 AM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_image&entry_id=39662

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/738/progress/43451/tn_glass2.jpg

I think the standing glass is already taking on the role of the focal point here. Since I'm new to still lifes I'm not sure how to stop the others from taking over, except by possibly just having the lightest light and darkest dark near your focal point, or the highest area of contrast. At least that's what I try to do in landscape, along with having the other elements in the painting lead to the focal point.

pjo
09-16-2004, 01:32 AM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_image&entry_id=39682

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/738/completed/12116/tn_WintersMorna.jpg

I just love the foggy, fall mood in this. With the warm colors in the foreground and cools further back this painting really works. Yes it feels moist and dewy to me, more late fall than winter to me, all the leaves have dropped, but the snow seems yet to fly, any minute actually.

SweetBabyJ
09-16-2004, 01:33 AM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_image&entry_id=39662

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/738/progress/43451/tn_glass2.jpg

Let the vase on the right sing like it wants to- it'll be a wonderful focal point- drawing the eye to it, and then through and behind, and up, and then back to the one on its side on the right bottom, and back again to the star.

You need to look closely at the "hourglass" part of it, though, as one side or the other is off a bit.

As to contrasting colours- what is there? Did you take your reference pic into psp or something and saturate the wheeeeeee out of the colours? I'd think there were light yellows in the long gleaming highlights, and maybe some greens in the shadowy areas.

Mind that black shadow in the lower right- it needs to read lighter than the major shadows of your glass.

Deborah Secor
09-16-2004, 02:48 AM
All the 'blacks' in this one are violets, Ludwigs mostly, and gray-blues.

I don't see how I can put any blue in the shadows. Outdoors, yes, but not in here. I already cooled them tremendously with the greens. IRL they are MUCH warmer in tone all over because of reflection.

Where would you put blue green, Julie?

Details:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Sep-2004/23609-salt.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Sep-2004/23609-chile_jar_top.jpg

I'm about to tear the whole puppy up!

Deborah

dragonlady
09-16-2004, 05:58 AM

There are greens and yellows in the highlights, I have put them in but I probably haven't emphasised them enough. I can see what you mean about the vase shape, thanks for picking that up, Julie - I hadn't spotted it.

Here are the photos - first is straight and second is with the sats upped.

pjo
09-16-2004, 11:11 AM
Deborah-what a difference in the colors of your close up verses the previous post, I just didn't see quite as much color variation on my monitor in the first one. Don't tear it up, please. The greens and violets shown here just sing.

Kathryn Wilson
09-16-2004, 11:47 AM
Yeah, Dee, I wasn't seeing those colors either! It all looked like a blend of oranges and yellows with no contrast. Maybe the scan?

SweetBabyJ
09-16-2004, 11:50 AM
Don't they though?!? Harder to see in the whole pic.

I did a little teeny bit in psp, Deborah- while I know you'll see the spot or two in front on the chile jar, see if you can spot the few other places I hit it with light or colour.

Put the reference pic away now- you don't need it. Look at THE PAINTING and see what you- put on your teacher hat- think it needs.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Sep-2004/9169-Spoon_Basketgrns_%2B2.jpg

Edit- 'kay, I dunno what's going on- I've resized your pic from here Deborah, down to 375 x 500 pixels, 'cause the first two times didn't work- and since it was no bigger then than it was when I d/l'd it, that shouldn't even have been necessary. Is there a glitch in the uploader? All I get is a red-x box. Lemme try attachments.

dragonlady
09-16-2004, 12:23 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_image&entry_id=39722

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/738/progress/43451/tn_glass3.jpg

The colours of this are as good as I can make them, but still not quite right. I need to do a bit more refining. Does the hourglass vase look correct now?

I have to say I'm really not enjoying doing this, too fiddly I think, all those shadows and highlights which have to be spot on to look right, I'm much happier painting trees and water :)

SweetBabyJ
09-16-2004, 12:52 PM
The leftside of the hourglass is a bit too V-shaped- round it a tad more. Also, check the ellipse of the back top rim- it is too rounded- use a roll of tape or something to lay on your reference pic and see what shape it really is. These are very minor- and yes- the colours are starting to sing, now.

And then, Joy- put the reference pic away. If you want more colour, just stay in the proper value family for the area and zing some colour in there. And if you're happy with how it is gleaming, then sign it and be pleased- it's good work.

pjo
09-16-2004, 02:34 PM
I just posted my hopefully final entry. I'm pretty pleased with my attempt at this still life. If you see any glaring mistakes, please comment. This is going to be for my mom-in-law who taught me how to make this salsa.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Sep-2004/39207-IM001520s.JPG

MollyUnlimited
09-16-2004, 03:05 PM
PJ, I just LOVE that salsa still life!!! I would never know you weren't a pro with those! Makes me want to grab my tortilla chips and steal some! Yumm!

I finally did some work on my project (all at once - how typical of me!) and posted progress pics.

Here's where I am now. BTW, this is my first eve non-portrait (well since the 2nd grade, anyway). Help/suggestions are GREATLY appreciated!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Sep-2004/49177-Landscape_6.JPG

Dark_Shades
09-16-2004, 03:24 PM
I just posted my hopefully final entry. I'm pretty pleased with my attempt at this still life. If you see any glaring mistakes, please comment. This is going to be for my mom-in-law who taught me how to make this salsa.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Sep-2004/39207-IM001520s.JPG

Excellent PJ ..... love it.... :clap: ....... looks good enough to eat :D .... that fold is so much better now, and love the final finish to the sauce..... its alllllllll gorgeous..... well done

.... thanks for commenting on mine too.... the feed back is much appreciated...... thanks Kat too

Dark_Shades
09-16-2004, 06:16 PM

Deborah

lol, a bit like me and landscapes then :)

dragonlady
09-17-2004, 08:06 AM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_image&entry_id=39733

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/738/completed/39207/tn_IM001520s.JPG

Wonderful painting. I love the colours - at one point I thought all the reds were too much but now it's finished they're fine, just enough green to really set them off. The sauce in the jar is very convincing and really looks as if it's in a glass bottle. I'm sure your mom-in-law will love it.

dragonlady
09-17-2004, 08:10 AM

Dawn, this is really lovely. I don't know why you think you can't paint landscapes. It's got a real sense of depth, I feel I could step onto that path and walk into it. I love the touches of orange in the grasses.

Kathryn Wilson
09-17-2004, 08:23 AM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_image&entry_id=39733

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/738/completed/39207/tn_IM001520s.JPG

PJ - you finished this off perfectly! I can even see the tomato seeds in the jar! :clap:

Kathryn Wilson
09-17-2004, 08:28 AM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_image&entry_id=39730

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/738/progress/49177/tn_Landscape_6.JPG

I hope everyone goes in to see Molly's Progress Images - it's a wonderful WIP. Molly, if this is your final version and not going to work on it any more, please upload this last image in the Final Images so that you will get credit for completing this Project. :clap:

Kathryn Wilson
09-17-2004, 08:30 AM

Tom, I hope you will continue to work on still lifes during the winter - this is lovely. I am especially admiring the cloth - super job!

Deborah Secor
09-17-2004, 01:46 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_image&entry_id=39768

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/738/completed/23609/tn_SpoonBasket-final.jpg

I finally shot a good photo of this one outdoors so you can see the color. I'm finished and fairly happy with it. I liked hanging on to the realism for now, but if I were to paint it again I'd make it more painterly and loose.

Deborah

MollyUnlimited
09-17-2004, 02:41 PM
Deborah! I love this, the colors are gorgeous! I just love the variety in the pieces and shadows.

Artistammy
09-17-2004, 05:26 PM
Ok, I finally took a pic of what I'm working on. Landscapes still feel like a weak point to me so....
So far, I've worked on the non-foliage parts more. I need to start layering the plant areas more. The purple & green stand out too much in the photo (tried to get it toned down).
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Sep-2004/3341-PleaseComeInArchcrop3WC.jpg http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Sep-2004/3341-PleaseComeInArchwip.jpg

Deborah Secor
09-17-2004, 05:44 PM
Whoooeeeee! Tammy! Looking really, really good so far. The massing of the tones is marvelous--keep going, but don't bry that structure in too many details.

I love all the shapes inside the arch except that weird larger-at-the-top tree. With the light and dark areas beyond the arch, along with all the other shapes reinforcing it, that has to be your focal area. The trick will be to detail distance without overdoing the near area.

You can do this! Looking very good... :D

Deborah

Artistammy
09-17-2004, 05:54 PM
Actually, what I liked about this is the sign that says "Please Come In". I wanted to caption it with the Bible verse about Jesus knocking on the door. Should I do something to the area inside the arch so it's not so contrasty? :rolleyes: I always seem to want something different about my reference. I tried alot of different crops but I didn't like zooming in on the sign too much.

Artistammy
09-17-2004, 08:06 PM
I have worked on the inside of the arch. I greyed it & blended it so the sign might stand out more. I also finished the sign. I worked some on the flowers on the right bottom.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Sep-2004/3341-PleaseComeInArchwip2.jpg

Kathryn Day
09-17-2004, 08:48 PM

Wow, Paula, this turned out great. Was it fun trying something new?

Deborah Secor
09-17-2004, 10:58 PM
Tammy, have you posted your painting images in the project? It would be nice to be able to see your progress all in one place.

Be reeeeaaaaalllllly careful about the angle of the sign and archway--to me it's starting to look a bit crooked, but it's so early in the painting it's hard to tell for sure. And may I give ya one little, bitty piece of advice? Um.. paint what's behind before you paint what's in front!

I think this one is a beauty!! Love the colors I see here... have fun!

Deborah

Khadres
09-18-2004, 01:53 AM

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! You're makin' me hungry! LUSCIOUS!

Khadres
09-18-2004, 01:56 AM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_image&entry_id=39768

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/738/completed/23609/tn_SpoonBasket-final.jpg

Somehow, I think this particular subject favors realism anyway...might be fun to TRY a really loose, sorta shorthand approach, but I can't see Wolf Kahn doing something like this and making it recognizable at the same time. Knowing you, you could do it tho! :cool:

Khadres
09-18-2004, 01:58 AM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_image&entry_id=39730

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/738/progress/49177/tn_Landscape_6.JPG

WOW!

MollyUnlimited
09-18-2004, 02:19 PM
Kat and Sooz,

Thanks for the compliments on my sunset waterscape! I have to admit it looks pretty good as a thumbnail, but in person at ~ 14x20 it is really easy to see all the problems with it. I like it from about 20 feet away! LOL! I do think that if I plan the space better and draw accurately from the reference (can you believe I had the luck to get a photo like this???) I could make a really nice painting. I'll give it a go this week on my new sanded paper. Got some Wallis Musem Grade and some Sennelier La Carte Pastel Board. Can't wait to do some work on those surfaces!!!! The Wallis paper feels SO GOOD!!!! I may give my Canson to the kids for our "art department" at home. . .

Artistammy
09-18-2004, 05:52 PM
Deborah, thanks for pointing out those things to me. I hadn't noticed yet.
The angle of the top wood was not as parallel to the sign as it should be. Rather than do the sign over I decided to adjust the wood. Do you think the perspective looks OK? nothing jumping out -"this is wrong"?
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Sep-2004/3341-PleaseComeInArchwip3.jpg http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Sep-2004/3341-PleaseComeInArchwip3a.jpg

Artistammy
09-18-2004, 08:00 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_image&entry_id=39817

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/738/completed/12116/tn_IslandLighthouse.jpg

I really like this. It's so nice when something difficult turns out so good.

Artistammy
09-18-2004, 08:02 PM

This turned out really good. It's interesting to see it develop from the more blah beginning. Maybe someday you can do a still life without getting into knots. :D

Artistammy
09-18-2004, 08:09 PM

PJ, this is amazing! It looks so good. :clap: :clap:

Artistammy
09-18-2004, 08:10 PM

good job! I really like the complimentary colors.

Kathryn Day
09-19-2004, 01:20 AM
ok, here I am starting on a portrait of my niece. She does a "big hug" to people and stuffed animals and gets this great expression. I caught it at her birthday party in a photo, but wanted to paint it. This is my first block in of color, changed a few things as you can see from the photo. It is 16x20 on Wallis. I need to know if I have the facial features on the right track and if the colors I have chosen are working? Hope there are some portraitists out there, or anyone else who can give me their thoughts.

First the photo, then the blocked in painting.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Sep-2004/7947-PARKER.jpg http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Sep-2004/7947-PARKER_ROUGH_BLOCK_IN_002.jpg

The bunny is not that green looking in RL, and now I am re-thinking the blue shirt. help!

MollyUnlimited
09-19-2004, 12:07 PM
Hi Kathy!

What an adorable pose! You have a great start here, and I think there are a few things you can do now to save trouble later with this portrait. The likeness is very good! Past the first hump! You may want to check the bottom of her nose, her left side (our right) may be down just a tad from where it should be. If you can do it, I recommend printing a reference that is the same size as your painting, then if something looks off to you, you can measure.
Next, the easiest way to get hair to look right is to block it in by values. It will look funny to start, but hair looks most natural when layered in pastels and so you want to lay in the darkest areas first. Even in the lighter areas, you will want to add a few strokes of the darker tones so that you can go over them later with the lights and give it some depth. I think the color you've used is too warm given the reference. Even if someone has red hair, very little of what you see is "local" color. I use varying shades of raw umber (Windsor & Newton) to lay in blond hair. It works like a charm. It is really surprising how dark you need to go for the parts of the hair in shadow. Then when you are ready to get more detail in the hair, you can add the highlights and a few "strands" that suggest the lighter and warmer tones of the hair.
Looks like your reference suggests warm lights and cool shadows and you're doing that already - GREAT!
In general you could use a bit broaderr range of values in the face. It is SO hard to put dark color on a baby! try to push it a little more, you can always lighten it up later, but it will be tougher to go darker. To get a better idea of the range, print your reference out in grayscale. Or, if you have photoshop or similar, "posterize" it. when you block in some darker areas, you'll see her expression really pop out and you'll have a much better sense of the curves and chubbiness of her cheeks. you can use a darkish grayed down lavender for the shadowed areas (caput mortuum?). That whould work well with the overal color scheme. Here is a "film grain" version of your reference that accentuates the values so you can more easily pick them up. I love using these prints. It beats the heck out of squinting. I have enough wrinkles already! LOL
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Sep-2004/49177-kathys_niece_film_grain.JPG
As far as the blue shirt goes, I think it looks nice. The one thing you'll need to remember later on is that where her skin is near the shirt, you'll need to put in the tiniest hint of reflected color. In your reference the shirt is pink and so it is harder to see the reflected light on the skin.
You're doing a really good job with her eyes so far. You'll want to have her eyes looking mostly gray, with a hint of the blue you're using. Usually, the brightest color in the iris is opposite the spot where the "catchlight", or highlight, hits. When you paint it this way you get that luminosity that makes the eyes look so real. In your reference there are no catchlights as her eyes are shaded somewhat, but if you look closely, you'll see that the lightest part of the iris is in the lower left (our lower right) in each eye. You did it exactly right on her right (our left) eye!
This is really looking terrific so far, I can't wait to see your progress on this!
I love what you've done so far with the background. This is going to be a lovely piece! Three cheers for you for doing a portrait! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Kathryn Day
09-19-2004, 04:13 PM
Hi Molly,
Thanks for your indepth help. It is really appreciated. I did quite a bit more since I last posted, everyone was asleep, I am a night owl, so worked on it more last night. I ended up brushing out the eyes and nose and starting over on them. Here is where I am now. I will read your post and check those areas when I start on it again this afternoon. I haven't worked on the hands much at all, other than blocking in.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Sep-2004/7947-PARKER_ROUGH_BLOCK_IN_3.jpg

Dark_Shades
09-19-2004, 04:21 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_image&entry_id=39817

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/738/completed/12116/tn_IslandLighthouse.jpg

I really like this. It's so nice when something difficult turns out so good.

Thanks Tammy, some I liked.... some I hated..... so I threw it in the bin :evil: lol

Kathryn Day
09-20-2004, 12:43 AM
I think I may be finished with this. But will adjust if anyone can tell me what it needs.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Sep-2004/7947-PARKER_FINISH.jpg

the face isn't quite so blotchy looking in rl, the shadow areas are not that blue looking. Also there is a little more paper to the right looking at it, my camera skills at work.

MollyUnlimited
09-20-2004, 09:14 AM
Hi Kathy!

I just wrote a whole post on this, but the server was busy and I lost it! ARGH!

I love what you've done, here! You have totally captured the likeness, the personality and the moment. What you have is an illustrative quality about the portrait as opposed to photo-realism. I think it works very well for this subject and am thinking you could (if inclined) use this portrait as an illustration for a little book about the bunny and your niece. Wouldn't she love that??? :p There are lots of ways to self publish on the internet, if you want to.
If you wanted to get more of a sense of depth and realism, then you'd need to expand your range of values and introduce all the lights and shadows you see in the photo. It's just a different style. I love the way you changed her eyes, they look great! Her hair definitely reads as blond, too. The bunny looks really soft and cuddly and I love the bric-a-brac detail! Superb little chubby hands! Brava!!! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

judwal
09-20-2004, 09:35 AM
Just darling. All those soft colors work well for the subject. You've done well catching that cute little smile. Well done!

Deborah Secor
09-20-2004, 11:36 AM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_image&entry_id=39811

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/738/progress/3341/tn_PleaseComeInArchwip3.jpg

Tammy, I think the angles at the top agree now! One thing I notice is that in the photo the doorway is at an angle but the whole thing is square--you might check that in your painting.

I bet you've made some more progress on this one over the weekend... if so, show us...

Deborah

judwal
09-20-2004, 01:46 PM
I just love the colors you've used in this. It has a very peaceful feeling.

And oh yeah...I'm with Deborah..we need to see some progress photos. It's really lovely. I think this is going to be a real beauty when you're finished.

Artistammy
09-20-2004, 04:07 PM
Deborah, Thanks for looking. What do you mean by square? Do you mean the opening is square instead of rectangular?
The progress pics are in the project folder.

dragonlady
09-20-2004, 04:16 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_image&entry_id=39906

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/738/completed/43451/tn_fglass-c.jpg

Finished - I think. Not entirely happy with it, I felt it was really cold and emotionless so I've warmed up the blue and added in some green. Not sure if this is enough - I wasn't brave enough to add pinks. Thanks for the help Julie.

IthinkIart
09-20-2004, 04:42 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_image&entry_id=39906

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/738/completed/43451/tn_fglass-c.jpg

If this is your weak area, boy, your strong area must be incredible!!!! Love this, excellent work dragonlady :clap:

Deborah Secor
09-20-2004, 08:56 PM
Deborah, Thanks for looking. What do you mean by square? Do you mean the opening is square instead of rectangular?
The progress pics are in the project folder.

No, I mean that the two sides need to go the same direction so that they are square to one another. To me the whole doorway seems to be getting wider at the bottom. I can't tell if it's the camera angle or not, which can make things look wonky, but just make sure that they match. :wink2:

Deborah

Nancy Leone
09-20-2004, 11:34 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_image&entry_id=39830

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/738/progress/44343/tn_Nice_pastel_001.jpg

Would love some c&c. I'm not good at taking the time to get the perspective right. Love to play with color but need help with those straight lines. Thanks.
Nancy

Kathryn Day
09-21-2004, 08:41 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_image&entry_id=39949

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/738/completed/7947/tn_PARKER_DONE.jpg

This is my final on this painting. I think it improved from the beggining one!! That's something right! :wink2:

Artistammy
09-21-2004, 10:48 PM
Nancy, I think you did really good on the building. I have my own struggles with them but everything seems to be parallel & lined up as far as I can see. :clap:

Nancy Leone
09-22-2004, 10:12 AM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_image&entry_id=39811

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/738/progress/3341/tn_PleaseComeInArchwip3.jpg

Tammy, Thanks for your encouragement. Love the colors in your piece...that soft blue-green in the gateway leads me right through!
Nancy

Artistammy
09-23-2004, 06:37 PM
I worked on the right side with the flowers & rocks. Now I have to stop & go to the nursing home. :(
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Sep-2004/3341-PleasecomeinWC5.jpg

Artistammy
09-26-2004, 08:48 PM
Now I've worked on the left side vegetation except for the vine on the wall. I already see that little bush beside the walk is too light. I'd like to know if you see anything else to fix in the garden? I'm kinda excited 'cause I think I'm beginning to understand how to do these plant things. :D I may want to brighten up the sign some more to bring it out as the focal point. The wall doesn't look straight up but that's just my photography. Oh, I thought I'd show you my studio too. I've never had this many paintings I like in it at the same time before.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Sep-2004/3341-PleaseComeInArchwip6WC.JPG http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Sep-2004/3341-studiowithTammyWC.JPG

pjo
09-26-2004, 10:40 PM
:wave: Tammy, This is really coming along very nicely. It's been nice to see how you develop your foliage. I'm not sure which bush you are referring to that is too light, it looks right to me, kinda like the dappled sunlight effect. I think even a touch more dappled light leading you up the pathway may do the trick as far as leading to the sign and/or some light on the sign itself may give you the emphasis you are looking for. And that wonderful touch of light on the distant grass thru the door leads me into your painting even further.

judwal
09-27-2004, 12:07 PM
Tammy..thanks for a peek into your studio. What fun to see how we all work and in what kind of space. I work in my garage!

The painting is beautiful. Really love that purple walk.

prestonsega
09-27-2004, 12:48 PM
Tammy..thanks for a peek into your studio. What fun to see how we all work and in what kind of space. I work in my garage!

The painting is beautiful. Really love that purple walk.

Hey Tammy!! I'll give you 10 bucks for that lamp.....I love its style and functionality...I see we have similar tastes.

I know the turquoise area to the left of the picture plane is your vegetation underpainting, but it works well, even now, just as a non-descript shape. ( a good predictor of the finished work, no doubt) It almost reads as peeled paint exposing the wall's previous color.,,Nice!

Artistammy
10-07-2004, 09:27 PM
This could be the final update. Does the ivy draw too much attention from the sign? I tried to make the door vertical - I think most of it is my camera. This photo is also a little too dark after I uploaded it. I'm kind of getting where I can enjoy landscapes. ;)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Oct-2004/3341-PleaseComeInArchwip7WC.JPG

Deborah Secor
10-10-2004, 10:41 PM
Tammy, I think this is a wonderful painting. The vine is no problem--it doesn't detract from the sign. In fact, it's a beautifully painted part of this.

The only problem I have is the color of the shadows, which seem to lessen the impact of the sign because they're so much the same color--maybe even darker blue-purple. If this was my painting, I'd glaze a bit of the gray color of the sidewalk back through it--just a hint of it, so that the purple isn't so strong, and then recover the light areas a bit again. Let the strong dark blue-purple shadow up near the sign help to draw the eye up there. (It very well could be the digital color making the shadows read so purple, so if it isn't as strong in real life as it is here, ignore me!!!) Then just sign it!

I absolutely love the soft greenery in the archway and I think you've done an excellent job of the wall and the garden greenery & flowers. It's the best painting of yours I've ever seen!

Deborah