PDA

View Full Version : Liquitex Basics

jbitzel
09-11-2004, 09:03 PM
I heard that its not cheaper either way but doesn't student grade have more medium in it? Is that a bad thing? Don't alot of people paint in layers anyway? I am thinking about trying them because Blick has them so cheap. What do you think?

Artguy29
09-11-2004, 09:16 PM
I have and still do use Liquitex Basics and have been very pleased with them. When I first started painting, I used about 6 colors of Liquitex but now I mix some of them with my main paints, Grumbacher. The Liquitex Basics have a great deal of medium, making them great for thick painting as well as large areas. You can make some wonderful paintings by mixing the Basics with a few colors of professional grade paints. The only problem with all of the medium that is in the paint is that it weakens the pigment. The colors tend to look much more washed out or duller then how they look right from the tube, but I do highly recommend them. You can get some great deals on the 4 oz. tubes and 8 oz. jars. There are about 24 colors available in the Basics line. I would give them a go and see what you think.

Dave

Rosebudlr
09-11-2004, 11:46 PM
I heard that its not cheaper either way but doesn't student grade have more medium in it? Is that a bad thing? Don't alot of people paint in layers anyway? I am thinking about trying them because Blick has them so cheap. What do you think?
I have been using Dick Blick acylics and I love them. They work real well for me and I do LIKE the costs as you noted.

Enchanted
09-12-2004, 10:29 AM
I am thinking about trying them because Blick has them so cheap. What do you think?

I think that you usually get what you pay for. The only time I can think of this may not apply is when there is a "close-out" sale of high quality goods. OTOH, so much stuff coming out of China these days can be of excellent quality for a pittance... :confused:

coherent
09-12-2004, 01:22 PM
I'm not sure that more meduim is the only way to look at it. I've used liquitex basics and they are great as are many other student grade acrylics, but one thing I do know that another big difference is the pigments themselves... not just more pigment but the type. Many student grade acrylics colors use hues and at times different pigments to keep the cost down. The cadiums are one offhand... as an example, the cost difference between a cadium orange artist grade and the student grade cadium orange hue is pretty significant, but so is the color consistancy and the quality.
-marc

Einion
09-12-2004, 06:18 PM
I heard that its not cheaper either...
??

...but doesn't student grade have more medium in it? Is that a bad thing? Don't alot of people paint in layers anyway?
It's not a bad thing per se, no, not if you want transparency :) The higher medium proportion goes hand in hand with less pigment so you get more transparent paint across the board, much more transparent in the case of Basics. So it will require more layers to achieve coverage and some effects, that are difficult or impossible with very transparent paint, are achievable with opaque colours. I'm thinking of Cad Red compared to a hue of it as an example but even for the same colour, say Titanium White, in both Basics and any really good brand you'll notice a significant difference between them in body and opacity.

If you paint thickly, and using an impasto medium or paint thickener is not too much of a hassle for you, then you can use this type of paint as a route to high volume at low cost. Larry paints with Galeria when he's using acrylics, with a Liquitex (?) impasto medium but his results could easily be mistaken for full-bodied artists' acrylics.

I am thinking about trying them because Blick has them so cheap.
Leigh beat me to it but since you mentioned Dick Blick I was going to say that if you wanted good paint at a good price then try their acrylics. I have the page still in my browser history so here (http://www.dickblick.com/zz006/24/products.asp?param=0&ig_id=193) it is if you want a quick look. Check out the price of an 8oz jar of any expensive colour compared to a 2oz tube of Golden or Finity!!

I bought a larger selection to test them more fully recently and they are just as good as I'd hoped from my initial limited use of them. I think they are probably the best value artists' acrylics I've ever used.

Einion

Richard Saylor
09-12-2004, 07:09 PM
Leigh beat me to it but since you mentioned Dick Blick I was going to say that if you wanted good paint at a good price then try their acrylics. I have the page still in my browser history so here (http://www.dickblick.com/zz006/24/products.asp?param=0&ig_id=193) it is if you want a quick look. Check out the price of an 8oz jar of any expensive colour compared to a 2oz tube of Golden or Finity!!
The larger sizes in the Blick brand are very good values. Note, however, that the 2 oz tubes are among the most expensive acrylics (of that size) in the catalog.

jbitzel
09-12-2004, 10:56 PM
They do seem to be a good value. I price checked them on titanium white and they actually seemed to be the lowest price, it may depend on the hue though. But the set of 6 impressed me at less than $15.
I was thinking that since I dont always like the way that water makes my paint behave I may just buy Blick Acrylics and add medium if I want a transparent effect. I would imagine that it is probably cheaper to buy HV and medium than it is to buy basics anyways. Besides I like the way that gloss medium makes a finished painting look, even though I know we have alot of matte fans here :wave: but thanks alot everybody.

Richard Saylor
09-13-2004, 02:40 AM
Aha, they're running a special at the web site. That's a really good deal! In the 2004 catalog, Blick acrylics are not discounted.