PDA

View Full Version : Help! I've been improved to non-functioning

Painter
10-22-2001, 12:37 AM
Thought I had a problem with a virus (it was the phone line) The service weenie "Improved" my MS operating system, and now I cannot access my scusi card or my printer.:crying:

The problem is somewhere in the connections, but when I tried to change them last night, the computer crashed each time. I have one more idea to try tonight, but I'm running out of things to try.

If someone out there has a notion of what's going on, some inlightenment would help me get on E-Bay, and see if I can get some income from the stuff I have been painting for the last few years.

Kevin M
10-22-2001, 02:32 PM
Hi Ched,

Your problem could be any number of things but the most usual fix for unrecognised hardware is to reinstall the driver for it. In Device Manager you should see yellow exclamation marks against the offending items. You uninstall the existing driver and then reboot when Windows should pick up the hardware itself and install it for you from the Windows installation cd or from the software you got with the particular item. Re printers, most newer
printers just require you to reinstall the software.

If that doesnt work you should enquire into the alterations made to your os.

Kevin

Painter
10-23-2001, 01:10 AM
Thanks Kevin! I'll give that a try. I've been through Device Manager, and have just managed to tie up the computer. That's a new thing to try. Now, where'd I put that disk..................:confused:

Kevin, I reinstalled the driver without improvement. I think it is the settings. They are:

Irq 03
mem range 00000000-00000FF
I/O range 0000-00FF

The conflicting device list:

mem range 00000000-00000FF used by system board ext for Pn P Bios
I/O range 0000-00FF used by Motherboard resources
I/O range 0000-00FF used by system speaker

This is all Greek to me. If someone could explain the terms, or help me find a source, I'd be most greatful. I suspect it is quite simple if you know the terms.

Kevin M
10-23-2001, 02:29 PM
Hi Ched,

You should find in Device manager that the last item on the list System Devices ,when expanded, will show that Motherboard and Speaker are sharing the same address and conflicting.

Worth trying would be to uninstall Speaker and see if on reboot windows will allocate it to a different address when it reinstalls it.

Kevin

Painter
10-23-2001, 11:20 PM
Kevin: Again thanks for helping!

Ok, I'll give it a try and see what happens.
Is there any book or such which will tell about memory addresses?

I suppose I could just change the memory range for the card to 00000000-00000KG, and see it that does anything. or 00000KG-00000GG. The possibilities are endless.:D

Gerak
10-24-2001, 03:27 AM
I think you better change the IRQ settings......you can't uninstall the speaker.....
Raise the IRQ number while you find a free non conflicting IRQ.

Kevin M
10-24-2001, 04:44 AM
You are quite right Gerak. What am I thinking?

Kevin

Painter
10-24-2001, 08:34 AM
Kevin: I tried to delete the speaker, and the computer put it back as before.

Gerak: I'll give that a try. :)

This is a high priority project for me. I need to begin to generate some income. I'd prefer not spending if I don't have to.

Thank you both for your help!!!! Even when the suggested fixes don't work, they give me a new starting place.

Painter
10-24-2001, 09:12 AM
Gerak: I tried changing the IRQ setting, but the computer won't let me change them. Am I missing something important?

While I was messing around, I found that I could uncheck the disable box, and my mouse still worked. I rebooted and the message changed to error code 11, it also told me to ck out ASD in Help. ASD allows the computer to skip trying to open the device. When I cked details from ASD, it gave me PCI\VEN_9004@DEV_5078+SUBSYS_00000000+REV_01.

The red mark in the device manager turned to yellow. :clap:

At least something is different.

Gerak
10-24-2001, 12:52 PM
No manual settings ?
IRQ03 is the IRQ number of the serial port COM2....so this one is sure wrong for an SCSI card....
I need to see the settings....well I think it's a problem...lol
Maybe some screenshots ?

Painter
10-25-2001, 01:01 AM
Gerak: Screenshot:confused: I think I know what you mean, I just don't know how to do that, and which screens.

I'll go back to the manual and see if there is anything there which might help, in sending the"screen shots" or getting the the card to work.
The most frustrating thing is that I had the system working before I took it to the Gateway technician because I thought a malfunctioning phone line was a virus. I believe he upgraded W98 as a favor, and lost the settings.

I tried changing the IRQ, in Device manager, but the computer said I couldn't. Perhaps there is something or someway to click something to get at the IRQ setting, but I'm not getting it. Went to setup, it said that there were 6 or 7 IRQs "available", including #3. That still doesn't tell me how or what to click to get acess to the IRQ settings for the card.

I'll try again tonight. Thanks greatly for your help!

Gerak
10-25-2001, 01:42 AM
You can do a screenshot by pressing the printscreen key, then open the paint program and paste.....
Then save it as jpg or convert to jpg....

I have another idea .. lol
Remove the drivers, then reboot....the windows is plug and play,
it will try to recognize it as a new device, perhaps with the good settings....

Painter
10-25-2001, 09:44 AM
Garek: Thanks for the imput. I tried to print the screen as you suggested, but nothing happened, so I'm going to try to describe what I'm seeing.

I go to control panel/system/device manager. I click on the offending card, and get a screen which has drivers, settings and resources across the top. I click "resources".

The popup window says I have an Adaptec AIC 7850 PCI SCUSI controller. Then the fun begins. There is a small box to the left which allows you to choose wheither to use automatic settings. I have ck'd it and not checked it. If it is not ck'd you can ck the "Change settings" box below.

When I do that The resource type box shows a selected IRQ #03. when I re click the change settings box, a screen pops up. It says "No Modification Allowed" in the area below this label there is a yellow triangle with a large ! in it. Next to the triangle it says "This resource setting can not be modified" There is a box below which says "ok"

This pop up happens whenever I try to change any of the three resources, IRQ, mem range, or I/O range. The mem range and I/O range have changed as I have been messing around, the IRQ has not.

I tried to select an older driver, but the reboot came back as before. Could the card have manual adjustments? I'll have to take the machine and have a look see.

Gerak
10-25-2001, 01:42 PM
I tried to search the Adaptec site, without much luck....
Do you have the users manual for this card....?
If it is automatic then the irq settings is from the bios....I think.
There was a change in the bios settings maybe....

Well...I don't know what's next.....I must see this personally... :D

Kevin M
10-25-2001, 03:22 PM
Gerak,

I think you are correct about the bios. It looks as if the service engineer did some alterations in the resource tab in the bios. It would be convenient if he could be contacted to know exactly what.

Kevin

Painter
10-25-2001, 11:30 PM
I'll do that, if I can.Usually the technician is behind the scenes, and not allowed to contact customers, I think. But you are correct, that is the best place to start.

Kevin: We hear that the IRA has begun to destroy weapons. That seems a hopeful sign over here. Where are you in Ireland? Do the troubles in Northern Ireland impact you at all? My heritage has a bit of Irish, Scottish, and Dutch. That's probably why I am a logical romantic.

Gerak: My contacts with Hungarians in the States have always been positive. You folks seem to breed good people. Perhaps some enterprising soul will write a book to help us here in the USA.Somehow we seem to have gone astray.

Gerak
10-26-2001, 03:20 AM
Painter: thank you for your kind words

I hope your PC will be fully functioning very soon.....

Kevin M
10-26-2001, 10:44 AM
Hi Painter,

I am in the far south of the island in County Cork.

The Provisionals are indeeed in the process of decommissioning weapons which comes as a great relief to everyone since the Good Friday Agreement had all but collapsed. It also surprises many people since they did not expect to see them doing this outside the framework of a United Ireland. In this regard the Republican movement has always had very clear objectives. One can only conclude that the awfulness of September 11 has so profoundly changed world, and in particular, US opinion regarding anything that could be remotely construed as terrorism, that the more pragmatic within the Republican leadership have decided to give the democratic institutions a try.

However, whilst I am deeply gratified to see it, I will not be holding my breath. The democratic institutions do not have spectacular record of solving grievances within a reasonable time-frame, and Irish grievances are ongoing for eight centuries.

The Irish have always had very reasonable aspirations. When Ireland was a collection of fairly civilised and cultured chiefdoms and the rest of Europe consisted of warring barbarian tribes, its forign policy didnt extend much beyond the occasional bit of cattle rustling. By and large it wanted (and still does) to be left alone. However the religious/political ambitions and egos of various English monarchs had different plans. And whilst it is probably unhelpful too look so far back you can still its the legacy today, in fact almost every day, in the pseudo-religious viciousness on the streets of Ulster.

Speaking from the point of view of a staunch republican and devout atheist, I have long held the opinion that Irish history would have made much pleasanter reading without both colonialism and religion in all its forms.

Painter
10-27-2001, 02:18 AM
Kevin: I just hope people can get along together. I know that what you say is true. I also know that justice is not normal among humans. I feel that destruction is wrong, generally, and creation is good, generally. Those who forment hate are wrong, generally, no matter their cause. Hatred at wrongs is natural. Peace and tolerance are acguired(Think spelling is wrong ),not natural, and need to be taught.

Sounds idiotic, but most true things aren't complicated, just very hard to live with. Teach your children well!

I don't mean to meddle where my knowlege is weak, but I do know that the Irish were teaching Charlemagne and his court to read.

Painter
10-28-2001, 01:27 AM
Kevin M: I've still been thinking about your post and my response.Thank you for waking me up! I live in a cotton batting environment. Nothing is worth thinking too hard about in my current society.

My added thinking revolves about the people who are relatively powerless in a larger society. They exist all over the world. In Ireland, they exist most notably as the protestants in the north, and the catholics in Northern Ireland, and perhaps the atheists throught out.

What choices do they have, and what does the more powerful society owe them? Minority rights are fundimental. "Them or us" thinking is deadly for both. What of a minority which is actually oppressed? Gandhi may have had the best and least destructive tactic. (it worked for the American Negro reasonable well) However, if the powerful society has been taught to consider the minority as less than human, Gandhi's tactics are worse than usless.

Upon reflection, the most important thing for everybody is to learn that different people are still human with all the rights of every human. If one truly believes this, there will be no killing of others for political purposes.Again,it goes back to education. We need to learn, and teach our children this fundimental truth.

The problem with the terrorist tactics is that by their use they define themselves as being outside of the human race. This means that they increase the quantity of "them or us" thinking throughout the world. Hence the bombing in Afganistan. Most Americans have decided that Ben Lauden is beyond the acceptable bounds of human behavior, and should be destroyed. It is "them or us", and the world suffers.

P.S. I've decided to get a USB scanner. Trying to activate the SCUSI card is taking too much of everyones time and attention. It's not worth it.