PDA

View Full Version : Abandoned

coherent
09-11-2004, 12:06 PM
I'm pretty new to acrylics (a few months) and so this is my first photo post. Saw a guy on PBS painting this house on a hill so thought I'd try it. About 2hrs 8"x10" canvas on masonite. C&C welcome and appreciated!
-marc

sassybird
09-11-2004, 12:11 PM
Was it Yarnell or Bob Ross that you watched? I think you did a wonderful job on this piece. I especially like the way you left the track running to the house very rugged. It lends credibility to the whole scene.

Artguy29
09-11-2004, 01:32 PM
I believe it was Yarnell's "Hilltop Retreat"; I watched this one a few weeks back. Excellent job on this! I find it very hard to work with the Yarnell style, but the result is well worth it, as you probably know. I remember that he only used four colors on this painting (burnt umber, cadmium yellow, titanium white and dixozide purple), did you add any? My only concern is that it appears that you did not use as much paint as he did. When doing Yarnell-type paintings, it's very important to use very thick paint. That is why most of his work appears to be done in oil. What brand of acrylics did you use? Professional or student grade? I think the type of paint will also have an effect on how well you can paint like him. I noticed that he only uses Grumbacher, Finest for acrylics, Academy for watercolors and MAX for oils.

Dave

ExpressiveAngie
09-11-2004, 09:31 PM
Great job, complimentary colors and nice to look at.

Eileenjm
09-12-2004, 03:40 AM
Agree with Angie. Lovely work. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Eileen

SummerSun
09-12-2004, 08:29 AM
A very beautiful painting! :clap:

Bertoni
09-12-2004, 08:46 AM
Well done!! :clap: You're a natural with acrylics!!

coherent
09-12-2004, 12:48 PM
Wow...Sassy, Dave, Pastel, Eileen, Summer, Bertoni thank you all for the wonderful comments! I've hesitated posting after seeing some of the fantastic acrylic works in this forum, but figured it's time to dive in and learn from my mistakes.

It was Yarnell, because I know Bob Ross is the afro guy who paints happy little trees.

Dave I didn't have a reference and only watched the final of a series?, so wasn't trying paint the same picture or the same way. I just thought it was a different perspective that was interesting. I used Golden heavy body acrylics... paynes gray, burnt umber, oxide green, cad yellow and diox purple. Didn't use titanium white, just gessso to shade, opaque and highlight. Was a fun one to paint.

Thanks again for looking.
-marc

BRIDGES
09-12-2004, 01:06 PM
I think this painting was abandoned too soon..i would like more interesting sky and wow not so much yellow,overwhelmed my eyes. At least put lots nice shadows in the fields..I know it looks bright and pretty,a decorative look for those colors, but don't you really want to learn..more realistic..Best to you and keep painting.Bridges

connievanwinssen
09-12-2004, 01:45 PM
I think it's fine and finished. More realistic is a choice, which I would not make. This is a strong painting and making it more realistic would diminish that

ExpressiveAngie
09-12-2004, 01:48 PM
I think it's fine and finished. More realistic is a choice, which I would not make. This is a strong painting and making it more realistic would diminish that

I have to agree. :clap:

romell
09-12-2004, 05:54 PM
originally posted by PastelMama
I have to agree.
Me too. I think Marc did well on this one. Keep it up. :)