PDA

View Full Version : new work - landscapes

vics
09-11-2004, 11:31 AM
Any crits welcome, this is a new line for me - I'm new to acrylics and have really enjoyed it! :clap:
let me know what you all think
Vics

Patrick1
09-11-2004, 11:45 AM
The first one is real nice...very Dune-ish. I can already visualize stars near the top.

DeusExMachina
09-11-2004, 05:18 PM
Those pictures breathe an atmosphere of desolation. Very imressive.
The first one actually reminds me of a banner type thingy I designed in Flash in early spring this year. Check it out.

Kermit used to be my nickname. I was running a weblog under that name, called 'Exhibit'.

vics
09-11-2004, 07:20 PM
wow haha great banner, funny huh!!
Thanks for the great comments, I'm thinking of doing two more in the series, I wanted them to be free from people and everything connected to them and to look at things as nature intends them. Maybe one to do with winter/ice and another natural greens like a forest or grass.
You summed that up in one word - 'desolation' which, if you don't mind, can I use it to name the series? Do you think thats a good name?

Anyway thanks again
:p

ExpressiveAngie
09-11-2004, 09:38 PM
I love viewing this work...its the kind of thing folks say "I can do that" but they just dont know. I know - I have tried and cannot achieve anything close. :clap:

Eileenjm
09-12-2004, 03:26 AM
I love the colours you have used for all three of these. My favourite has to be the first one I'm waiting for someone to come running up from the other side to give us a wave :D Beautiful work :clap: :clap: :clap:

Eileen

BRIDGES
09-12-2004, 01:18 PM
No light reflection on the water? is that water the second one?? would be nice too solid a color for my taste...Needs "break ups" Bridges

Bioartist
09-12-2004, 10:14 PM
The first one is great, the contrasts really bring the painting to life. However, the other two lack contrast and seem a little to dull, maybe adding a bit more contrast (either through tonal changes or through complementary colours) would give the paintings a boost and make them as alive as the first (just IMO anyway - please ignore if you wish :D ).
Stacey

DeusExMachina
09-13-2004, 03:58 AM
I actually have no objection to the 'lack' of contrast. It gives the second painting a sort of "Dune" like feeling. The curved horizon on the last painting gives you the claustrophobic feeling of being on a very tiny planetoid.

I think 'Desolation' is a nice title to cover the series. Perhaps the individual paintings could have such suggestive titles as 'Life under the surface', 'Dawn for the observer' or at least a title that doesn't make you forget that in all the desolation, there's at least one living thing: the viewer.

Also, to emphasise the emptyness you might want to consider painting in 'landscape' instead of 'portrait'. A rectangular canvas that's three times as wide as it's height would really set you apart.

Keep improving your technique.