PDA

View Full Version : Life is like Safety Harbor...WIP

jbitzel
09-10-2004, 03:56 PM
I enivisioned this one a little better. But I need some serious C&C. James

gnu
09-11-2004, 03:05 AM
Actually you've got some serious atmotsphere happening here.. :clap:
Wha's wrong is your perspective...you need to drop some height on your seat, OR take it out longer..you'll have to watch the right edge..see if it will look OK going off the page..(you can paint on cling film or tracing paper placed over your painting) if not, change the height..
Your lamp is leaning (:D) you could rectify by re-designing the pole, make it thicker along true vertical parallel lines..if you have a pastel pencil in a light tone to do the lines, this is easily erased later, as needed.
See how the shadow is slanting off to the left from the pole base in your ref? you could exaggerate this in your photo, from the pole and the seat, to add a diagonal to your pic..it's all straight across otherwise, this will add interest to the eye.
see what you think once you've had a go at these bits, and re-post.
keep working at it, I'm sure many of us have paintings with several layers of corrections!

ExpressiveAngie
09-11-2004, 07:45 AM
keep working at it, I'm sure many of us have paintings with several layers of corrections!
:p :D

I love the sky color and I think gnu has given excellant advice.

sassybird
09-11-2004, 11:50 AM
After viewing the piece and the reference pic I was ready to jump in with some suggestions, but gnu beat me to it:) I think Gill gave you some excellent points to follow.

Artguy29
09-11-2004, 05:43 PM
In addition to what gnu suggested, I think you need to work on that area of grass. It looks as if you "cut and pasted" it onto the painting. Take a close look at your reference photo; the colors of the grass are much lighter. Also, try and fix that sharp edge where the grass meets the road.

Dave

jbitzel
09-11-2004, 08:52 PM
here is an update.

ExpressiveAngie
09-11-2004, 09:48 PM
:clap: Much improved. How do you feel about it now?

gnu
09-12-2004, 12:55 AM
aha, great improvement..I want to know how you feel too..

Eileenjm
09-12-2004, 03:37 AM
Have to agree with everyone else, looking good. :clap:

Eileen

jbitzel
09-12-2004, 08:33 AM
I like it alot better since I used painters tape... is that cheating? I still want to add some highlights to the pole and I am still unsure of the clouds, but realism is not exactly what I want otherwise I would be working on it all day, but I think I'm almost there. :wave: