PDA

View Full Version : Online Art Schools

circular
09-10-2004, 01:19 PM
I am going back to school next year and want to go online. Does anyone have recommendations for a good online art school. Want to major in Graphic Design or Computer Arts, but want to see programs before making a final decision.
Thanks.... :cool:

timE
09-12-2004, 04:02 PM
i can't really speak for any good ones but i would definately urge you to avoid the art institute online. they are not accredited and i was very dissatisfied with the experience i had with them. someone mentioned in another thread one that is accredited but definately be sure to ask wherever you decide to go about it and whether you can get a degree withthem.

circular
09-13-2004, 01:23 PM
Thanks I will defintly keep a watch out for accrediation. The local College here has a good programs, but I rather be at home at night taking classes from the comfort of home than walking in at 10:30 at night. :rolleyes: :cool:

munrodee
09-21-2004, 09:00 AM
i am going to be going to aiu on line
they are accredited and i am very excited about there program
in graphic design
i am still waiting before i sign the papers to see if they will accept my
associates before i start my bacholers
but i will be starting oct 2nd if they do.

D

Rose Baggs
09-23-2004, 12:21 PM
Hi Munrodee, Would you mind If I ask you how much you're gonna pay for it? I'd like to take a Graphic design's course online...but keep wondering how much it would be? I have a BA in Advertising and Marketing (in Brazil).

Thanks

Taxguy
09-24-2004, 03:10 AM
Frankly, I can't understand why anyone would ever want to attend an online art program even if it were accredited. At least half of the benefit of being in an art program is in the interfacing with other talented students, getting critiques from them, and seeing how they approach each project. None of this is obtained via an online program.

Moreover, there is no 0nline program that has the same job clout as a top art school would have.

As such, unless you are mearly into the zen of art and don't care about any future employment, I would pass on online art programs.

Rose Baggs
09-24-2004, 10:43 AM
Well...
Frankly I would say that many of us...are working Moms that have been away from home all day long and need a "degree" to find a better job...others just want to study online while their kids are napping...so...you see...there are lots of people out there that are not so lucky to have all the time available and can do anything they want. Frankly again...if you really want to improve and do something good with your life...you just need dedication!
Sure...it's good to be able to go out...meeting people, talking and sharing your experience with everybody else...but this is not always possible...and I think an online degree must have good points too. I'm not attending one...but I think you can get in contact with other students...and you probably have an instructor to talk to...to clarify doubts...etc...etc..
So...I admire people that are way ahead and want the best for their lives, people that can deal with obstacles and put them behind.
If life gives you a lemon...why making a lemonade...make a caipirinha instead (it's a Brazilian drink...like Margarita)...Lol...

Peace!

kimeart
09-24-2004, 11:55 AM
Well said Rose!!!

I am a working mom and having online schooling as an option gives me the tools to complete my degree. I have approximately fifty credits from traditional schools (university, community college, private art school). In online schooling participation is a huge part of my grade and even though I am not there in body I contribute to the class fully. It is the same curriculum as the on campus classes. In fact my skills have improved tremendously in communication, computers/technology and presentation of my traditional artwork in a different format (digital photography, scanning etc). I have people from all over the world in my classes and my mind is expanding to think in terms of a more global art world.
I also belong to a local artist group. We meet once a week. At these meetings we critique each others work, provide feedback, work on marketing, and set goals. This group has helped me keep my focus.
I have the opportunity because of the online education to make my goals work for me and my family.

Kim
:clap:

gil222
09-28-2004, 07:03 AM
Thank U 4 Your Help, An God Bless An Remember Beauty Is In The Eye Of The Beholder.

munrodee
09-29-2004, 12:34 AM
Ahhh thankyou

yes i am a mom and i am gone 40 something hours a week
and want to come home and spend time with my child.

a bachelors degree help with my career, also i dont want to
be gone after work
another plus is that i can get my degree in 13 months

i dont need to prove i am a good artist, by going to a school
outside my home, i already know i am good.
as far as the price is, it is a little more then any other
bfa from a univerisity. i think it will be well worth it

Phoenyx
11-23-2004, 12:01 PM
I'm working on trying to get into the Art Institutes, specifically the Art Institute of Colorado, but we talked about doing a mix of online and physical attendence classes. I'm also a mom, but more important currently (my kid's 15, and supportive of me going to school), I live a good 50 miles from downtown Denver, and at the moment don't drive. If we can work out some of those classed to be online, that helps ease the driving strain on my spouse.