PDA

View Full Version : The Rose, a WIP

Vicki_Oz
09-10-2004, 10:07 AM
This started out with the intention of being a realistic rose but for some reason it has taken on abstract qualities. I'm not really unhappy about it so I'm just going to see where it goes without trying to push either way.

C&C always welcome.

gnu
09-11-2004, 03:07 AM
it has a look of the 1950's about it..post war..the black and the red..
still realistic, but the black is abstracting it I think..it will be interesting to see where it leads..

SummerSun
09-11-2004, 06:48 AM
I really like this - the rose is stunning!:clap::clap: It's going to be interesting to see what you are going to do with it later.
What size is your painting? I think somethink like this would like pretty amazing and dramatic in a really large size. I can almost see this on my living room wall...

ExpressiveAngie
09-11-2004, 07:39 AM
Its looking fantastic so far and I so happy you are just going with the flow...its working!

sassybird
09-11-2004, 12:08 PM
You found yourself somewhere that you did not expect, and now you are going to move forward from this point. Don't be afraid to play off what you already have. I think this is going to be beautiful when you get through. You have a very good start with the rose.

joa
09-11-2004, 12:46 PM
It's scary, but fun too, when your brush just takes off and does what it wants to do! You have a great start--can't wait to see where it goes. :clap:

Artguy29
09-11-2004, 01:18 PM
This is an excellent start, Vicki. I think this painting took a very nice "bad turn". It's not too realistic and not too abstract, but with perfect amounts of each to make this work. There are endless ways to continue with this and I'm sure you'll find the best one. Just for something to think about, you might want to keep the other colors you use towards the dark side so the rose stands out. Good luck with this one.

Dave

Vicki_Oz
09-12-2004, 02:23 AM
Hi Everyone

Wow...thank you all so much!

Gnu....funny but its not black....I've used scarlet, purple madder and vermillion only. What I found was....I paint the dark values in purple madder then paint over with scarlet and low and behold it almost turns black!! lol and yeah.... it does have a 50s look about it...and I kinda like it!

Summer...the painting is 60cmx60cm...so not tiny...just not huge lol

Yep...Pastel, Sassy and joa......I am going with the flow...its too funny really because realistic flowers are what I've always done.....but this has a whole different feel about it...its really nice not to get caught up in worrying if its exact or not.... I love it!!

Dave.....the petals will go right to the edge of the canvas.....no other colours will be added.....just the three colours I'm using now. I'm pretty sure I'll continue the 'drama' of the darks right out to the edges though...I like the way they look.

Thanks again everyone... :wave:

Kind regards

Vicki

Eileenjm
09-12-2004, 02:52 AM
Vicki so far this is looking lovely can't wait to see it finished. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Eileen.

Vicki_Oz
09-14-2004, 03:08 AM
This is the latest pic of the rose....its still got a lot of shading and highlighting go...but at least the canvas is covered!

ExpressiveAngie
09-14-2004, 07:58 AM
:clap:
Beau ti ful
Cant wait to see the finish!

Vicki_Oz
09-14-2004, 11:11 PM
Thanks Eileen and Angie........I really am enjoying painting this!

Kind regards
Vicki

Vicki_Oz
09-16-2004, 09:26 AM
This is the finished rose. I made a couple of petal changes because they were really bugging me! lol Overall.....I'm pretty happy with the end result.... it still has that kind of quirky abstract look about it....which luckily, I don't mind at all.

Cheers
Vicki

ExpressiveAngie
09-16-2004, 09:59 AM
Its really really beautiful, Vicki, i absolutely love this.

Eileenjm
09-16-2004, 11:04 AM
Vicki you have done a lovely job on this. Beautiful work. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Eileen

joa
09-16-2004, 11:05 AM
beautiful--good job!

Vicki_Oz
09-17-2004, 09:39 AM
Hi Angie, Eileen and Joa......Thanks heaps :wave:

Kind regards
Vicki

Bioartist
09-18-2004, 01:12 AM
This rose is very beautiful and very "in your face". I agree that it has an abstract feel to it, which just adds to its beauty.
Have you heard of O'Keeffe, she did ALOT of rose "abstractions", very similar to what you have done.
Question though - what size is the painting, and what are the three colours that you used.
Stacey

Vicki_Oz
09-19-2004, 01:54 AM
Hi Stacey....thank you so much for your kind comments.

Yes .......I do know a little of Georgia O'Keefe's work...but honestly...I've only ever seen her iris and another flower (can't remember which one though)... so I'm going to have a little search for her roses.

The canvas is a 60cm square and the colours are..... Scarlet (a very cheap Keiser paint)...Jo Sonja's Purple Madder and Vermillion....and right at the end I added a little Chromacryl (student brand) orange for highlights....which unfortunately don't quite show up as vibrant as in real life.

Kind regards
Vicki

bullyluvver
09-02-2005, 02:26 AM
Oh WOW!!! I just found this through another thread and I LOVE IT!! Stunning work.

Gail

Dewi
09-02-2005, 01:13 PM
Very nice, beautiful.

3chaway9
09-02-2005, 04:54 PM
Lovely Vicky......has a velvet feel to it ....excellent