PDA

View Full Version : Velour paper - how to paint on

ElfeUra
09-10-2004, 02:50 AM
Hi,
my very first try at velour paper.
And also my very first try with soft pastells.
Now, you may see my problems. What did I wrong, that you can see the strokes? Did I press too soft or too hard?
I cant smear the color at Velour paper. Any hints?
Thanks!!!
Rita

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Sep-2004/43065-lama2.jpg

Kathryn Wilson
09-10-2004, 06:55 AM
Hi Rita - welcome to the world of pastels! Nice to see you posting here and I know you will enjoy using pastels.

Velour paper, at its very best, is a difficult paper to use. It will show every stroke you put on it and if you make a mistake, it's hard to correct. It would not be my choice to start out in pastels with this paper - I would suggest using a pastel paper especially developed for pastels. These papers use a grit, or marble dust, to hold the pastel on the paper and it would be my choice of paper for someone just starting out.

I would suggest that you go on with this painting and use it as a learning experience to see how velour reacts with your strokes of color - what can and cannot be done on the surface. Each painting you do you will learn lots, so don't give up on this one.

ElfeUra
09-10-2004, 07:31 AM
Kat,

Thank you so much for your nice words.
Yes, it is frustrating, when you planned something and it just will not work. But finally I thought: I just want too much: beeing perfect just while I try to paint.
So I think, you just gave me the right advice. :wave: Learning by painting and first try the more easier pastels.
Guess, I will still post the finnished painting -- just to make sure, I HAVE TO finnish it :)

Rita

khourianya
09-10-2004, 10:17 AM
There are alot of great pastel papers out there, too...

Alot of people here swear by Wallis Sanded Paper. If you send a PM to Kitty Wallis, she will send you a small sample to try for free.

Some that might be easier for you to find are Canson Mi-Tientes, Strathmore, Daler-Rowney (which I am really liking at the moment), and Art Spectrum Colorfix...but there are loads of paper that will work for pastels. The most important thing is that it has some "tooth" to it (meaning a surface with some texture to it) . Some people like to work on rough watercolour paper. Experiment and play a bit with different papers to see what you will like...and just have fun.

I really only started with soft pastels a few weeks ago, but I am loving every second of it and am having so much fun experimenting with differnt grounds.

Welcome to Wet Canvas and I hope you find it as helpful here as I have!

Khadres
09-11-2004, 03:48 PM
I've never used velour our suede papers yet....but I'm wondering if you can perhaps keep working on this and just put deeper toned strokes over those you don't like...I know it's supposed to be very difficult to work on, but nothing ventured, nothing gained? Besides, I want to see the SUBJECT done! The drawing looks very intriguing! I'll be waiting to see the finished picture!

Dark_Shades
09-11-2004, 05:40 PM
Hello Rita,

No, you havent done anything wrong, just with any new surface, its just a matter of getting used to handling it, and a different approach. But you are right, you can not blend as such on velour, but need to build up coloured layers...this then hides the strokes ...Ive tended to use harder pastel and pastel pencils initially, and then soft ones till last... one thing I have found with Velour, is that it does drop pastel... any slight knock will make dust fall.... so I really dont like to use it.....

hope you dont mind, but have just attached a couple of pics Ive done using velour so you can see it can be worked......

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Sep-2004/12116-Lion6.jpghttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Sep-2004/12116-Elvis1.jpg

ElfeUra
09-13-2004, 03:37 AM
Hi,

Dark-Shades: I am impressed about your work on Velour. Thanks for sharing. Well, now I KNOW, that it is possible to paint good stuff on it :)
Try to overpaint the strokes I dont like.

Rita

ElfeUra
09-13-2004, 03:39 AM
Hi Khadres,

thats exactly what I did try, putting deeper toned strokes over it. It works -- not perfect -- but hey, I am new at this medium :)
Thanks for your comment -- I sure will keep working on it -- and learing as much as possible. Will show you the result - but it may need some time.

Thanks
Rita

ElfeUra
09-13-2004, 03:45 AM
Hi khourianya,

I just had visit from our friends from Florida, they brought me some Wallis paper as I requested. But I had that Velour now for some month and WANTED to try it first. Maybe not the right idea.

Do you know how the Strathmore paper is called in Germany?
I will try on different paper with different medium. Just while this pastel painting is going on, I try colored pencil on watercolor paper -- again, not the right one, but this will also help me to gain my abilities (hope so :) )

Thanks for your comment, and maybe with another paper I will like the soft pastels also?
Also thanks for your warm welcome - and I already noticed that the people/artists here are just wonderful. I am happy that I found this Homepage!

Rita

ElfeUra
07-31-2006, 09:24 AM
I started the Lama now almost two years ago - looking back.
Still have not touched it again.
But I draw an emu's face
with NuPastels and Pastelpencils on velourpaper.
Hope you like:

Title: Smoking grass....
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-Jul-2006/43065-EmuFritzBerger-WetCanvas.jpg

CJMonty
07-31-2006, 10:13 AM
Rita, Hi :clap: ,

I am also very new to Soft Pastels so am experimenting also. I tend to like the Colour Fix rather than the Cason which are the only two that are available to us in Wetsrn Australia. I have written to Kitty Wallis for soem samples so I can try that paper. I absolutely love your Emu he looks so real, They do tend to look you in the eye when you see them either in the wild if you get close enough but deffinitely at the zoo as they are so tame there. Their feathers are so soft despite how they look. Their feathers are rather unusual, instead of being single they are double, I don't have an example of one that I can photograph which is a shame otherwise I would send a pic to show you how different they are.

Carolynn.

*Violet*
07-31-2006, 11:10 AM
love that emu !! ... made me smile !! ... :) ...