PDA

View Full Version : Friday 9/10/04 Show and Tell

MaureenKennedy
09-10-2004, 02:16 AM
Here is one of my latest sets, I call Blue Jean Ladies! I am not quite sure how I got this look, except to say that the blue comes out on the white stringer by pressing them to cold brass, even a marver. In fact they came out REAL blue, and to lighten them up I had to flash it in the heat to have more white show. I only had 1 rod of this off colored white - a tannish white that was not ivory - so perhaps it was anice white? But the tip of the rod did not turn brownish as suggested to me, that anice white does. The black base was vetrofond AND Moretti - so the type of black (blue or purple) did not make a difference.

CharleneN
09-10-2004, 02:19 AM
Wow Maureen...those are gorgeous....most awesome color!

Any chance that tannish rod is silver pink? Don't you get blues with silver a lot of the time....hmmm? Gotta give that a try next time I am at the torch and see what happens! Doubt I am an skilled enough to get your color even if I am right about the silver pink tho.

Turtlebeader
09-10-2004, 05:13 AM
Maureen - those beads are stunning! what a great effect, and such large sets, too - you really have a lot of patience :-)

Here's my contribution for the day - a custom order for a lady in England: a hollow vessel in dark transparent amber, decorated with branch vines and leaves, and topped off with a tree frog clinging to the side... I think I held my breath for the entire hour and a half, but I'm so pleased with the way it turned out that I'm attaching three photos! :D

kwstudios
09-10-2004, 05:24 AM
Hey Beaders!

It is nice to see all of the wonderful beads! I have been at Pilchuck Glass School for most of August in Sally Prasch's Flameworking class.

Here are some flowers I made from boro. They took all day to make, and I mean all day. I think that I'll make some flowers from soft glass. Also here is a pic of the flame shop:)

More pics later,

Karen

jbriz
09-10-2004, 05:54 AM
Maureen...I LOVE the blue effect you got out of the white. Soooo cool!
Turtlebeader...great job! No wonder you are proud...you deserve to be!
Karen...gorgeous flowers! And what a great looking studio!

Moonlight Creations
09-10-2004, 06:14 AM
Good morning!

~ Maureen - Those are incredible shades of blue!
~ Ania - Now she'll be one lucky lady in England to have THAT bead!
~ Karen - Two beautiful rewards of patience! (My studio wants to look like that when it grows up...how lucky you were!)

Here's mine for this morning...I call it "Inspire" because each and everyone of you inspire me! Thanks!

~ Sonje :wave:

ShineyObjects
09-10-2004, 06:35 AM
Hi Group!
I am fairly new to Wet Canvas and have been lampworking for about 6 months.
I made my first set of lentils this week plus some fun African themed beads! I have had no classes, but have been studying Corina and Cindy Jenkins books!
I have a kiln, but am still working with a hothead torch and saving toward a real torch! Hope everyone has a wonderful weekend! Nice to meet you all! --Mona

NYCindy
09-10-2004, 06:38 AM
That's what I'm talkin' about!! Flowers are the reason I've started to fool around with boro! LOVE those flowers Karen - I thought they were real at first!

Thanks for showing the picture of the Pilchuk studio!

Hey Beaders!

It is nice to see all of the wonderful beads! I have been at Pilchuck Glass School for most of August in Sally Prasch's Flameworking class.

Here are some flowers I made from boro. They took all day to make, and I mean all day. I think that I'll make some flowers from soft glass. Also here is a pic of the flame shop:)

More pics later,

Karen

NYCindy
09-10-2004, 06:41 AM
Maureen,

Enter those into Corina's challenge - it's not Witchcraft. Doesn't matter you don't really know how you did it - they're kewl!

It's interesting that with the soft glass, neat effects can be had when you "shock" the glass by using a cold tool. Seems to bring metals to the surface in some way.

Here is one of my latest sets, I call Blue Jean Ladies! I am not quite sure how I got this look, except to say that the blue comes out on the white stringer by pressing them to cold brass, even a marver. In fact they came out REAL blue, and to lighten them up I had to flash it in the heat to have more white show. I only had 1 rod of this off colored white - a tannish white that was not ivory - so perhaps it was anice white? But the tip of the rod did not turn brownish as suggested to me, that anice white does. The black base was vetrofond AND Moretti - so the type of black (blue or purple) did not make a difference.

KellyD
09-10-2004, 06:49 AM
Maureen- I love that blue jean set, really neat color.
Ania- That vessel is great, and the frog is so cute!
Karen- Those flowers are amazing, and the studio is too!
Sonje-Nice Bicone, I really like the design, good job!
Mona- Pretty bracelets!

Here's mine for the day, the first one is black, white,and gray
The second one is aqua, gold pink, brown, ivory
Have a great day!
Kelly

saucy
09-10-2004, 07:45 AM
Good morning everyone. I have been up all night working again but I can't let the inspiration fade.

Maureen - nice set
Ania - Nice vessel, I especially like all the work on the vessel.
Karen - Those flowers are drop dead gorgeous. Wonderful job. :clap:
Sonje - Nice job.
Mona - Nice lentils.
Kelly - cool beads!

Here is my third go at boro beads. I'm learning by trial and error so it's taking a while. I think I've made 17 beads total. My favorite bead is in the middle.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Sep-2004/26398-3rd_boro_session1.jpg

I called this set Purple Tease because I'm working on a larger set.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Sep-2004/26398-purple_tease.jpg

GinaJ
09-10-2004, 08:02 AM
Great work, everybody! Here's mine, some Moretti tiger stripes:

Lapislazuli
09-10-2004, 09:19 AM
:D :D

Hi, good morning, a greeting for all, next to a good coffee I am admiring the great works of today, magnificent, the colors, the combinations and the forms. Here it is my contribution for this day. That they have a good weekend,

Lapislazuli :wave:

Lara
09-10-2004, 09:50 AM
Great beads today. I have to pick on Maureen and Kelly - I love both of ya'lls black and white sets. Cool.

Today I have another fire bead, a lentil.

Lara

Virginia L.
09-10-2004, 10:04 AM
Good morning - have way too much going on today, hopefully I can come back later and comment on people's beautiful work - From me today - I took all the glass that I know reacts and made a set of large beads to hang together - did not get as much reaction's as I wanted, but still am happy with how they look - then I made another "Small Mouthed Stripey" fish - I do love stars and fishes, but have gotten into a rut. Have to make something else soon. I made a huge sparkly barrel bead I am very happy with. I pray you all have a great day and please say a prayer for the people in Florida - God Bless - Virginia L.

starlightdesigns
09-10-2004, 10:13 AM
Thank you all, for sharing your wonderful, lovely beads this morning... They are all magnificent! I really appreciate having the S&T everyday to come and look at all the pretties all of you talented people create...

It's a day brightener, for sure!!!

Hugs,

jeffwelsh23462
09-10-2004, 10:36 AM
here's mine for the day.. fireworx dichroic pendants and hand etched dichroic pendants... :wave:

TroyNC
09-10-2004, 11:03 AM
Wow! So many wonderful things today! For once I actually have a few minutes to comment...so here we go :wink2:
Maureen-You got that gorgeous blue w/ black and a white? Those are wonderful!
Ania- Great vessel w/ such a cute frog!
Karen-Wow (Jaw hitting the floor)!
Sonje- Very Nice
Mona-Looks Great!6 months?Wow :clap:
Kelly-I love all of the different shapes in your 1st set!
Saucy-I LOVE the colors in your 2nd set!
Gina-I always love tigers and those are great!
Lapislazuli-Great Colors!
Lara-Always love your fire beads!
Virginis-Where do you get the patience for all of those dots!
Jeff-Your work is always fun to see!

My contribution for the day...I finally got into the Halloween Spirit...Well...not really. But, I did make some Halloween stuff and I LOVE the hat! It is soooo sparkly in person :D
I made the Bear and Set w/ him a few days ago, but thought I'd share him here...I don't know what is wrong w/ me...but those are the colors I want to work w/ now that summer is almost over and I should be reaching for the fall colors! I call him my "Sun Shine" Bear.

Becky Mason
09-10-2004, 11:51 AM
Great stuff everyone, but I'm especially impressed with Karen's flowers and Mona's beginner beads.

Karen - WOWIEEEEE :eek: :eek: :clap: Your flowers are simply stunning. I'm so envious (in a good way) of you getting to spend time at Pilchuck. I wish I was independantly wealthy and didn't have to work. Then I could spend some of my time going to all of these great places and learning from the masters.

Mona - Pat yourself on the back. Those are some very impressive beads! :clap: :clap:

Here is my small contribution for today. A simple strand of terra cotta and silvered ivory stringer coin beads. Nothing fancy, but very functional and comfy to wear.

Becky Mason
Orchid Blossom Beads

koregon
09-10-2004, 12:16 PM
Have a great weekend everyone! Fall seems to be here...early. Summer was to short.

Thanks for the gorgeous work to browse through!

starlightdesigns
09-10-2004, 12:22 PM
Hi Becky!

Wow! I love your terra cotta set, it's very pretty! Is that Moretti or something else? Where do you get that terra cotta color? I've been wanting a color like that for some time.

Thanks!

Becky Mason
09-10-2004, 01:22 PM
Debby,

Thanks! The terra cotta color is just good ole Moretti Light Brown (S-444), which isn't brown at all. To get the terra cotta look I etched the beads for 12 minutes.

Here is a picture of anothr set that I did months ago for eBay. They solid colored lentils are Czech Dark Smoke Topaz (wonderful color to work with).

Becky

KrisMcAllister
09-10-2004, 02:59 PM
I wish I had time to complament everyone but no time (busy ,busy ,busy). But as usual everyones beads are gorgeous!!! I haven't posted any pics in a long time because I haven't taken any in a long time..lol. But i was going crazy trying to find a background for my new business card and could not find anything i liked so I took a pile of beads...some wonkies...some not, threw um on the table and shot a pic. I'm still not sure I have found a background. YIKES...who thought that would be the hard part in this new business venture?? Thanks for lookin'. Advise welcome!
Kris :wink2:

jbriz
09-10-2004, 03:55 PM
A couple of focals I made recently. Base of dark ivory and black with copper green and EDP. Lots of gravity, too!

Becky Mason
09-10-2004, 04:22 PM
Kris,

I love your idea of using your beads as a background for your business card. However, I would suggest that you play around with the opacity of your picture so that the beads are "veiled" and don't interfere with the text on your card. I don't really know hwo this is done, but I know that most photo editing programs have steps for adding a "veil" layer, or an "opacity" layer.

Becky

Daphne of Dilluvian
09-10-2004, 04:45 PM
Bravo to all of you. Such excellence and such variety. You'll notice that I have a love affair with turquoise these days (plus I have an order I'm working on). These are some of my new garden rain beads plus a bubble chamber bead. Have a great weekend! :wave:

jkittels
09-10-2004, 04:58 PM
O.k...it is late afternoon and I am finally posting a picture. (Plus it has been ages since I posted anything...been lurking lots)

HAVE GREAT NEWS!!! The local newspaper called and wants a few of my finished bracelets for a photo shoot! YIPPY!!!

Have a show this weekend, so I've been a little crazy busy...
Here are a few boro's that I've been doing..

Crowe
09-10-2004, 06:46 PM
Thank you to everyone for sharing. I've been so busy -- no time to torch.

Lara -- I loved your firebead!

Cheers!

KrisMcAllister
09-10-2004, 06:58 PM
Kris,

I love your idea of using your beads as a background for your business card. However, I would suggest that you play around with the opacity of your picture so that the beads are "veiled" and don't interfere with the text on your card. I don't really know hwo this is done, but I know that most photo editing programs have steps for adding a "veil" layer, or an "opacity" layer.

Becky
Yes, Becky I agree. My plan was to use it as a backdrop and fade it so you could barely see it. Make it sort of transparent in a way. BUT...once again I have trashed that idea. I've decided to use just one of my best sets instead. Now if I only had a "best set" I'd be all set. I'll take a pic once I find one.

DesertDreamer
09-10-2004, 07:18 PM
Way cool everyone! Becky Mason, your set really made me go "WOW"! :clap:

I'm still frit-blissin. Here's my three favorites: The first is all raku frit and amethyst Gaffer, next is copper blue Gaffer with silver foil, palladium blue frit and an unknown stringer (copper ruby???), and finally my "extinct" iris gold Gaffer with ocelot spots and silver foil.

starlightdesigns
09-10-2004, 10:57 PM
Debby,

Thanks! The terra cotta color is just good ole Moretti Light Brown (S-444), which isn't brown at all. To get the terra cotta look I etched the beads for 12 minutes.

Here is a picture of anothr set that I did months ago for eBay. They solid colored lentils are Czech Dark Smoke Topaz (wonderful color to work with).

Becky

Wow, Becky, I had no idea! I've got that color just sitting around! I'll have to play around with it... Love it with the SIS!