PDA

View Full Version : Beginning Lampworker Question

carebear
09-09-2004, 11:45 PM
Howdy!

I've never done lampworking, and the nearest class is about a 4 hour drive, on a night when I work (restaurant manager)...
Has anyone ever seen the kit offered by Hobby Lobby...it's $100, includes some rods, torch etc...? I've been wondering if its worth the investment or not, or should I save my money and ask for some time off? (asking for time off is the next thing to impossible...but then I've always been a stubborn woman) :evil:

any thoughts?

carrie

lunamoonshadow
09-10-2004, 12:45 AM
You'll likely get more answers to this if you post it in the glass lobby :)
I'm kinda interested in the answer(s) as well--though there's no "hobby lobby" for miles & miles out here...I always feel so left out when people rave about their sales!
--Lyn

TheBlueBetween
09-10-2004, 01:31 AM
I'm not sure what is in that kit... you should ask in the glass forum if anyone knows about it... but classes are definitely worth it if you can swing it - it will really help you to be able to make useable beads sooner. There are also videos that teach you to make beads...

LLane
09-10-2004, 08:32 AM
Check out the Glass Class 101 sticky in the glass artists technical forum or do a search over there for " Quiet Torch".
technical forum glass class 101 (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49934)

Although I have never used it myself, I have heard that it is not the best buy and a better starter torch is the Hot Head. The Hot Head Source is a WC industry partner and you can find more info there.

Hot Head Source (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=139)

Good luck..... I'm sure you will get info on your questions in the glass forum.
Or pm me for specific questions.
Peace,
Lois

oh yeah...... and I'd recommend getting the time off for a class so you can get more info before you purchase!!! Use that stubborn streak... after all.... why do we work if we can't play??? :D

debkauz
09-10-2004, 01:47 PM
I've also heard that it is not a good buy. I, of course, don't remember why... :wink2: There was a long thread on glass and I think there has been one on ISGB as well. I am thinking that it was that you could get a lot of stuff for a hundred bucks that you really didn't need from the kit. You also, Ithink, don't get glasses and some of the safety stuff you need. Try ISGB's safety forum. That may be where I saw the thread about it.

Deb

oh, it's www.isgb.org, just in case you haven't been there.

xstatic
06-16-2005, 11:29 PM
Thank you so much for the technical forum 101. It answered just about all the questions I had. this is a wonderful site for a newbie like my self.

carebear
06-16-2005, 11:54 PM
well..lol...how things change in a year! guess what? I signed up for my first lampworking class on June 25 to be held only a 2 hours drive away, on a morning I don't have to work, with an amazing teacher, from shattodesigns in omaha...
thanks for bumping that thread up xstatic, I had totally forgotten I wrote it..
and nope, even tho several times I had the kit in my hands, I remembered what was said here and thought I might be able to spend that $100 in a better way on better equipment (ok, USED equipment, but still!)

looking forward to joining you lampworkers out there with my wobblies, wonkies and what-on-earth-is-that? beads...

=)

carrie

UCBCINDY
06-17-2005, 12:01 AM
My only warning is...be careful...it is an addiction...before I used to complain my boyfriend spent to much time on the computer...and now he complains I spend to much time on the torch...you will enjoy!!

I have only been doing for 6 months and love it!

lunamoonshadow
06-17-2005, 12:20 AM
I made my first beads this winter @ Sue's house ("Sue in Maine" here on WC) & Lori (GardensonGlass) gave me her hothead...I'll be making wobblies, wonkies & such right along with you out in my driveway!!! :D
~~Lyn

jennakate
06-18-2005, 08:59 PM
me too! that's where I started - the driveway! Lol!

lunamoonshadow
06-19-2005, 12:11 AM
just got in from the driveway ;) .... fired up the hothead for the first time (it sooo did not want to stay lit @ first!) & got 2 beads worth tucking into the fiber blanket~~we'll see if they survive the cooling in the car or if the night is too cold & they crack (I hope not! Even if they are kinda sad! I'd like to send them up to Sue for batch annealing if they survive the night...)
so...did NOT set myself on fire...learned I can NOT wear the didy glasses right now & keep the glass in the flame--I need to SEE the soda-flare to know I'm actually in the flame...so I switched over to safety glasses with a yellow lens (it's dark out anyway) & stayed out there till I was about frozen (it's about 50 degrees max & damp up here tonight....)
Now the hard part is going to be getting up & going to WORK tomorrow....and every day from now till my next day off...(thursday...)!! :D
~~Lyn

carebear
06-19-2005, 12:52 AM
lyn....sooooo...where are the photos of the beads??? eh????

=)