PDA

View Full Version : A Little Help From Friends...

Mikki Petersen
09-09-2004, 11:27 PM
Hi everyone! I have an internet connection for the moment so I'm going to post my latest painting done yesterday from a photo but in natural daylight outside our trailer. I feel like I have a much better grasp of what I'm doing after attending classes with Kitty, Maggie, Tom Lynch (watercolor) and Deborah. Several people drifted into our campsite while I was working and it did not throw me off at all because I knew what I was doing (at least I feel like I did). One couple stopped back by this evening to see if the painting was finished.

This is done on buff colored art spectrum using my new Girault Romantic Landscape set from a photo taken last week in Abiquiqu Valley north of Santa Fe. I loved the late afternoon light and that intense blue sky against the oranges of the mountain. There is an ugly brown river hidden in there but I've mostly covered it with shrubs. I also attempted to incorporate Deborah's suggestions for the foreground from this month's ESP thread.

Those of you who are familiar with my work...can you see an improvement?
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Sep-2004/14550-Abiquiqu_Valley_2.JPG

Dyin
09-09-2004, 11:47 PM
Hey, Mikki...lucky you all those teachers! I see more looseness in this, especially the greenery. Composition is nice too. Think maybe a hint of blue in the mountains would tie it in a little more but maybe not in scanned pic and besides, I'm no landscape expert! But i do like this lots...it seems like it was almost effortless and that's VERY hard to do!

(hey...how close are you to Reno? We go for an interview this weekend...not a sure thing, but maybe might get to meet if we do move there!)

SweetBabyJ
09-09-2004, 11:51 PM
Wow! Lemme tell you- what I see is CONFIDENCE! Great piece, Mikki- it's like being there. Gotta tell you, too, I LOVE that blue-blue-blue sky.

Sue's kinda right about the blue tying in, but if you don't see it, don't fake it- thus far, everything is "real", so leave it.

Terrific!

Mikki Petersen
09-09-2004, 11:56 PM
SUE! That would be so awesome! We are a about 1.5 hours away but it's a lovely, no hassle drive and John and I get up that way about once a month or so. If you are a motorcycle Mama, our road to our place is less intimidating for a motorcycle!

Thanks for your comments on the painting. It WAS an easy breezy painting...everything came together. I think you have a good point about the blue in the mountain. I was careful to get a pale shade of the taupe-y mountain color in the foreground but forgot to echo the color of the sky into the mountain. Did ya notice I have a focal point? I'm so proud!

Mikki Petersen
09-10-2004, 12:00 AM
Why, Julie! Thank you so much! Confidence is what I was feeling. I'm going to look for a way to add in some balancing blues but I don't guarantee anything.

bogbeast
09-10-2004, 12:03 AM
Mikki, this is just great! A piece to be proud of!
:clap: :clap:

khourianya
09-10-2004, 12:10 AM
This is just beautiful. Thank you for sharing it with us!

Dyin
09-10-2004, 12:14 AM
Mikki...you SHOULD be proud! Sigh...my harley is long gone...neck and shoulders couldn't handle it anymore. But I have a nice little 4 wheel drive and only an hour and 1/2 sounds great! I better wait to get excited til I know we're moving. :)

Mikki Petersen
09-10-2004, 12:19 AM
Thanks, Libby and Kori, for looking and commenting.

Sue, I'd run up and meet you this weekend if we were not out galavanting around the countryside. It would be great if you moved to Reno. We could meet at my place (I'm sort of in the middle) with Barb Noonan and Libby and form our own art society!

Dyin
09-10-2004, 12:38 AM
Already knew Barb and I would meet...but that's right...Libby is near there too! I wouldn't know how to act with real live artist friends teehee. I can see it now...you'll all try to drag me outside to paint and I'll try to get you all to give those OPs a whirl and would we get anything done laughing so hard??? :D Hopefully I'll know more mid-week and let you know. Now back to giving this lovely painting the attention it deserves!

SweetBabyJ
09-10-2004, 12:52 AM
HEY!!!

Wait for MEEEEEE!!!!

Dyin
09-10-2004, 12:57 AM
lol...that's why I was trying to figure out what part of Washington you were, Julie...I don't think Reno is any closer than we are now. And it's not anywhere near a sure thing yet, sigh. I'm not a city girl, but I hear there's pretty country all around (but...can you imagine the colors they must have in a gambling town??? teehee) already thinking hey maybe a Talouse Lautrec thing with showgirls...snork! (can we tell I've never been to Reno?)

SweetBabyJ
09-10-2004, 01:01 AM
Tahoe, Sue- and the scenery is KILLER. Plus, you could do a Donner Party reprise- 'cause that's up there, too. As for showgirls- practice on sequins- that's what makes 'em sparkly, you know....

I can fly into Reno, see, easy....

Dyin
09-10-2004, 01:04 AM
sounds fun! ok...so must make sure he gets the new job :D

oooh...Donner details....ewwww!

SweetBabyJ
09-10-2004, 01:07 AM
Now, now- this is where you just "suggest" and leave the viewer to fill in the details- more satisfying that way (or so I'm told.....)

Sorry, Mikki- we now return you to your regularily scheduled thread....

As I recall, the Donner Party Park thingie is a nifty place too- pretty place. I say let's bring lunch and paint all afternoon!!

Mikki Petersen
09-10-2004, 02:12 AM
Hey, who cares about that ol' painting...it's done. Much more exciting to figure out ways for us all to get together. Can't say much of Nevada has anything pretty, but Reno is nestled against the Sierras and there is tons of gorgeous scenery within easy driving distance. However, there are also many great subjects to paint besides scenery. Lots of historic sites and colorful places Like Nevada City. Reno is actually a pretty nice place to live from what I hear. Julie, there is also an airport in Sacramento that you could fly into...

Mikki Petersen
09-10-2004, 02:14 AM
Then again, Sue, if you don't move to Reno, we get up to Washington about once a year. Maybe we could plan a trip to invade Julie's territory?

DominicM
09-10-2004, 08:40 AM
Mikki,

Another winner, can't see any improvements here... :clap: :clap: :clap:

meowmeow
09-10-2004, 08:59 AM
Magnificent Mikki!! All the hard work and "studying" does pay off...this is just wonderful. Agree about a bit of blue in the mountainy thing but otherwise it is terrific. Great colors, nice composition and yes...very confident looking! Looks like you enjoyed yourself.

Sandy

Dark_Shades
09-10-2004, 12:24 PM
Those of you who are familiar with my work...can you see an improvement?
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Sep-2004/14550-Abiquiqu_Valley_2.JPG

are you kidding!!! ...... absolutely :clap:

Khadres
09-10-2004, 02:53 PM
Wow! Lovely work, Mikki! You're gonna love the Garden up here when you see it! Not only do I see confidence in this, but I also see ENJOYMENT on the artist's part! Maybe the two go together....confidence=no struggling=enjoyment? Whether that's true or not, you done good, girl!

Pinecone Conniff
09-10-2004, 04:35 PM
Looks like you have learned a lot & you are using the information that works for you!!...That is true progress & happy painting... :)
This is a wonderful piece but I too would like to see a touch of blue in the shadows of the mountain & here & there...your blue sky is awesome & very strong...adding blue through out may help to really tie the painting together.
What do you think?
Annette

dexonsbabe
09-10-2004, 04:40 PM
Lovely painting well done :clap: :clap:

Deborah Secor
09-10-2004, 05:21 PM
Looks great, Mikki! I love the addition of the trees on the side of the mesa to show it's shape...and the tree on the right side is looking good! Oh, the river looks better too...and that SKY!!! Whoo hooo!

I know you'll make good decisions about adding blue to the mesa's shadows, but I have to say that when I saw it I didn't sense the lack of blue in there at all. Abiquiu is very red and those of us who know that area would certainly believe your colors. However, I don't think adding blue will destroy that look--except don't you think it would become purplish? Frankly, my dear, if it was my painting all I'd do is sign it!! :D

So glad you showed us this one! I'll point the class to this page now!

Deborah

Kathryn Wilson
09-10-2004, 11:07 PM
Mikki, I am so green with envy - :envy: Getting to work with all those great people! Your painting does show that you are enjoying this - it looks spontaneous and I can tell you are really loving that part of the country.

Get togethers have got to be the best part of being a WC member - hope you all get to make it happen! :wave:

Mikki Petersen
09-12-2004, 07:11 PM
Oh what fun to get online to such a happy set of comments. Thank you all so much. I feel very encouraged.

As to putting blue in the mountain...it simply was not there and I can't make it be there and still have the place I remember. There is blue in all the grasses and trees for balance. I understand how the mountain just jumps off the page against that electric blue sky. That is how it was standing there viewing the scene. This gorgeous red mountain just jumps right out of the ground and soars into the New Mexico sky, very red and pround of it.

I thank you for the suggestions but this one is done and I'm happy with it. ;)

bnoonan
09-12-2004, 10:54 PM
Hi Mikkia,

Totally fabulous and now it looks like I have to go print out the foreground lesson from Dee and see what I can gain from it!!! Wow - fabulous and I'm so excited for you that you feel a sense of confidence in painting in public now.

Oh and I was just at Donner Lake hiking so I'm attaching a photo - taken from a few weeks ago.

Barb

Mikki Petersen
09-12-2004, 11:35 PM
Thank you for your fine praise Barb! Geesh, I leave town and both you and Libby head up into my territory. You trying to tell me something?

Pinecone Conniff
09-13-2004, 07:27 PM
Just goes to show you that I am an east coaster...never been out west! :( So I appreciate your observation that the mountain does not need blue in the shadows!! :)
Great job!! :clap:
Annette

binkie
09-13-2004, 07:39 PM
Mikki, this is really great. The colors in ther sky and mountain work so very well together.

gwen

Mikki Petersen
09-14-2004, 12:07 AM
Just goes to show you that I am an east coaster...never been out west! :( So I appreciate your observation that the mountain does not need blue in the shadows!! :)
Great job!! :clap:
Annette

I can't say it does not "need" blue in the shadows, only that I'm not happy putting blue there in this instance. I do appreciate your comments and suggestions and I seriously considered all advice before making my decision. thank you for your time and consideration, Annette.

Gwen, I'm glad you like the painting. Thank you for saying so.