PDA

View Full Version : shadows

gibson99
09-09-2004, 09:44 PM
Hi , its me again

I got yet another guestion regarding Painting with arcylics. As I stated in my previous message , I am painting lemons. I am trying to shade the lemons on the non light side to get gradually darker towards the botton of the lemon.
my problem now is that the dark grey mix that I get by mixing the Yellow with violet is streaky. When I apply the grey mix it is not smooth yet I mix it throughly. I am using Golden and liqutex heavy body acrylics.

Thanks for all you help :)

Richard Saylor
09-10-2004, 12:29 AM
I think the idea is to paint the shadow violet, not gray. I painted a real quicky sloppy lemon just to show how purple shadows don't look too freaky.

gnu
09-10-2004, 01:20 AM
I would try using the purple underneath the yellow layer for depth, but NOT right next to the lemon..I usually find this closer area of shadow actually reflects the object's colour and suggest you concentrate on putting some deep lemon colour there first..then use violet/other reflected colours to add depth further out..
depends on the look you're going for..

Donald_Smith
09-10-2004, 03:16 PM
take a scrap piece of canvas, or paper, or any surface you want, and experiment with mixing colors ON the canvas. They will need to be wet, so start with a wet brush, not dripping, but damp. You may need to touch a corner of the brush in your water to pick up a little more if the paint is starting to dry to fast before it gets blended properly. It's something I've been experimenting with, and can be very rewarding, cause if you can keep it wet enough. I guess the paint should be about like softened butter, not running, but not hard, a very soft spread that will smear on the bread without any problems should be the right consistancy.

The first time you try it on a painting, you will be going, "WHAT IF THE COLORS DON'T TURN OUT RIGHT?" Well, then you either add a little more of the color you want to shift things in the right direction, or let it dry, gesso over it and start again. Usually, I can just add a little more of the color I want and blend it in and it will turn out fine.

Hope this helps,
Don

gibson99
09-10-2004, 07:42 PM
Thank you all very much :wave: This is a very good web sight :D I will try these suggestions soon . I guess I will post a picture of my lemons when I get them completed. again, thanks a whole bunch.
John