PDA

View Full Version : closeup portrait of a man wip

Grasshopper
09-09-2004, 08:13 PM
mi-teintes 12x16" dk gray toned
rembrandt & nupastel
I'm using a photo as a reference but just for placement comparison. Done freehand. Lots not done but I want to know how I'm doing so far. Is that eye right? Pay no attention to the lack of detail around it, etc...

I like the top of the ear. The pink colors stink in the painting but they'll change as I incorporate more blues, yellows - whatever else I decide; it's ok for a "base" to follow right now.

Thanks for looking.

Grasshopper
09-09-2004, 08:38 PM
I'm already updating the eye - the pic I posted is blurry, anyway...

khourianya
09-09-2004, 08:58 PM
I think you have some great dimension on that eye - it looks very real, at this point, and I'm sure as you add more detail around it, it will become even better. I also love the depth to the iris. It looks like a real eye colour.

I agree about the top of the ear..it is looking really great!

:clap:

Paula Ford
09-09-2004, 09:19 PM
It sure looks like you have a great start!! Very realistic!!

Paula
(The eye looks just like my dad's, God rest his soul)

SweetBabyJ
09-09-2004, 09:38 PM
Much better- the shadowing brought the inner corner down a bit. While in elders, the outer corners of the eye appear to droop down, the inner corners rarely "lift" in response- at first, the eye looked too far tilted down at the outer corners. But that delicious shadowing has really pulled it together- very well-done.

Good luck with the rest- it looks like it'll be fabulous!

Grasshopper
09-10-2004, 07:37 AM
the eye looked too far tilted down

I thought the same thing SweetBabyJ but I felt it was the entire eyeball, and I knew I had to work on it to keep it from staying that way - hopefully, by the time I'm done that will no longer be a problem to me, as long as I remember it as I progress, I think.

Does anyone remember the thread about the colors of a face and how it's different in various parts? I'd like to go over that again. The ref pic doesn't show much color-wise/value-wise/shading-wise so yet again, I'm winging it.

I like the close-crop as in the ref pic so the length and breadth is not going to change much (I'll add more to the nose, upper lip, etc., of course. I'm wondering how to mat and frame this when I'm done. If it's good enough I'd like to enter it in the local artshow (entries due toward the end of the month). I know I'm getting ahead of myself but, I don't care.

Grasshopper
09-10-2004, 07:49 AM
beginning of day 2, early a.m. working in my pajamas...

I've blended some, elaborated on more overall, especially the ear & facial skin and around the eye.

MollyUnlimited
09-10-2004, 10:27 AM
Oh my gosh!

This is starting to look like my father-in-law! LOL I am REALLY loving the progression here!

One of the things I have noticed about older men, like this one, is that they often have a "wild" hair or two in the eyebrow, and maybe a gnarly couple of hairs growing out of the ear. Another common feature of age around the eyes is that the lower lid often hangs out just a tad from the eyeball itself - as if the skin is just a little stretched out.

As far as colors of skin on the face (I don't know the thread you spoke of) you can have fun hinting at age with an age spot here or there, plus using a purple hued pastel pencil you can suggest those tiny blood vessels that tend to rise with time.

Obviously I'm having way too much fun imagining what *I* might do with this one! Feel free, obviously, to ingore my comments. I am just SO delighted to be able to watch over your shoulder!

Dark_Shades
09-10-2004, 12:05 PM
this is coming along realllllly well, the close up and detail in the eye.... perfect... well done, will watch to see how this developes.... well done indeed

Grasshopper
09-10-2004, 12:20 PM
I may have to add those vein-thingees or age spots - or some kind of detail - or I may be done. I have it just sitting behind this old silver-painted but faded frame sans glass to see how it'd look framed. My dear husband feels I need to repaint it with silver. I kinda' like it faded and aged.
I like the painting alot. More than a lot. The colors are darker/deeper than I have been able to convey with a snapshot. What else do I need if anything??? (The photo shows the shadow from the room light btw.)

Grasshopper
09-10-2004, 12:26 PM
I may have to add those vein-thingees or age spots - or some kind of detail - or I may be done. I have it just sitting behind this old silver-painted but faded wood frame sans glass (for now) to see how it'd look framed. My dear husband feels I need to repaint it with silver. I kinda' like it faded and aged.
I like the painting alot. More than a lot. The colors are not quite realistic in the snapshot but it's pretty close. (The photo shows the shadow from the room light btw.)
What else do I need if anything???

SweetBabyJ
09-10-2004, 12:49 PM
The rendering is superb, and the colours just fine- well done. But...

...there's a compositional problem you aren't going to like.

Right now, it isn't the eye drawing attention- it's the ear- mainly because it is richer in colour and placed on a "golden spot", compositionally. With the whole left side of the picture plane being "plain", that entire side is disappointing, given the richness of the middle and right side.

You either need to crop in closer along the nose, I think, or give some deep shadows on that left side to indicate the face is more than a blank there. Even with the crop, though, upon seeing just the thumbnail, I thought "She needs the shadow of hair falling across the forehead or something", so you may wish to look at that for compositional purposes.

Khadres
09-10-2004, 02:43 PM
Well, I'm no "expert" but I like it the way it is....that darned eye is UNCANNY, it's so real and alive with expression. It certainly draw my eye, no problem. Beautifully done, if a little odd in composition...that may be what makes it so compelling. Wish I had the gift to be able to do the human animal this well! I've especially enjoyed seeing how you progressed, too!

Grasshopper
09-10-2004, 03:09 PM
Hmmm, I'll stare at it some more and do something with that blank side - give it some variation so it doesn't look like a blank space. Thanks for the tip, SBJ, I see what you mean. I'm bad at the composition thing and do need reminding.

Thanks all.