PDA

View Full Version : Best pencils to sketch with for your acrylic painting?

joa
09-09-2004, 12:54 PM
:wave: I have used graphite to sketch the outlines on my canvas or board. But I discovered an artbox my son used when he was in college and it has colored pencils--Staedtler Aquarell and Prismacolor--and charcoal. And what is a "special carbon pencil" by Conte?

I would like to sketch in my basics with colored pencil--is it OK to use these under acrylics?

Thanks for your help!

prospector
09-09-2004, 01:45 PM
Hi joa, Dont think I would use wax based pencil for acrylics might not bind over wax, and also might blure with acrylic medium?

Jack

mkillough
09-09-2004, 01:54 PM
Jack is correct. Big problem with the wax of the pencils.
I have used Prismacolor Watercolor pencils with my studies. They work great for sketching, and blend into the edges beautifully when I apply acrylic paint. Just must remember to keep them in their lovely tin, and seperate from your regular color pencils. I have a set of twelve, but there are more colors. I find the set of twelve has everything I need.
Have a great day. :wave:

sassybird
09-09-2004, 02:28 PM
If you want to use colored pencils definitely stick with the watercolor pencils. From experience I found that acrylics kind of separte over the prismacolors almost like trying to paint over a slick surface coated with oil.

JamieWG
09-09-2004, 05:37 PM
What a great idea to do the sketching with watercolor pencils!

Jamie

joa
09-09-2004, 05:48 PM
Thanks for the quick answers, everyone! I have only a small box, with one pencil missing, of the watercolor pencils. Think that will be enough, because I don't put much on the canvas before I start painting.

Thanks again!
Jo

Bertoni
09-10-2004, 06:38 AM
Never thought of using watercolor pencils with acrylics! What a great idea!
Can't wait to try it with my next painting!!! :)

MsLilypond
09-10-2004, 01:30 PM
Actually, regular colored pencils will probably be okay if you use a fixative over them before you start painting.