PDA

View Full Version : The Beach WIP

mooz49
09-09-2004, 09:15 AM
I did this one a few days ago. I am having trouble with the tide ......... trying to make it look right! :confused:

piper2
09-09-2004, 09:35 AM
I think that the problem with the tide is threefold, and maybe others will agree with me:

1) the white "crest" of the tide is long, uniform, and unbroken . . . it might look better if it was varied and didn't extend the entire length of the shore

2) no depth to the water; need more lights and darks

3) beach looks higher than the water, so it looks more like the sand is washing onto the water than the other way around.

The atmosphere of this piece is really nice though. You get the feeling of a cool beach.

prospector
09-09-2004, 01:37 PM
Hi mooz, what did ya use fer reference; photo, or from life? I cant advise until I see what you are seeing.

Jack

mooz49
09-09-2004, 02:11 PM
Thanks to you Piper2 and Prospector for taking the time to comment ...... I need all the help I can get!!

Piper2 ........ I will try and make changes to fix those problems and hopefully it will look better!! :wink2:

Prospector ......... I actually was doing if fron a pastel painting that my friend did a few years ago for a birthday present for my hubby. I have taken a picture of it but with the reflection from the glass it is not a great picture ....... there is probably even a bit of me or the camera in it!! :(
I was trying to copy her water but my waves seemed to want to go a different way for some reason!! :D

Anyway here goes ............... I will post the 2 of them together ............

sassybird
09-09-2004, 02:22 PM
I agree with piper's observations. I think if you adjust those things that your painting will look more realistic. Now I have got to tell you one thing, because I am a cloud watcher I see things in them and in yours I see a turtle on the right and a big worm on the left:D

mooz49
09-09-2004, 02:52 PM
Thank you Sassybird ............ and the turtle is going to eat the worm!! ............ so does that mean he cloud looks realistic?? :D
I shall be looking at the clouds differently from now on. :wave:

piper2
09-09-2004, 02:54 PM
Something I was noticing from looking at the original is that she extended her waves onto the right hand side of the paper-- you might consider following her lead to keep from having an "us" and "them" feeling with the water and the sand.

ExpressiveAngie
09-09-2004, 07:13 PM
Some great advice already given to you - I look forward to seeing your improvements. :)