PDA

View Full Version : My first rose

SummerSun
09-09-2004, 05:40 AM
I recently had a great idea for a painting with a girl holding flowers in her hands. While I was painting it I realized I had no idea how to paint flowers, and I had to stop painting. Instead I decided to start practising my flower painting skills.

I've always been afraid of painting roses, because I think it is impossible to paint something that is perferct already - the painting will always be worse than the actual flower. But now, encouraged by a recently bought tiny brush, I decided to challenge myself, and paint my very first rose.

I found a beautiful reference photo from the Reference image library, and after hours and hours of overpainting I finally decided that my painting was finished. I am quite pleased with the result, so maybe I will try another rose some day. I would really like to hear any tips or advice you can give on painting flowers :).

So, the painting is painted on 18x24 cm (7.1''x9.4'') canvas board:

Eileenjm
09-09-2004, 05:51 AM
:clap: :clap: :clap: Leena roses are my favourite flowers and this is beautiful.
Eileen

Bertoni
09-09-2004, 07:35 AM
Leena:
Don't let this be the only rose you paint. Paint more roses, this is really terrific! I like it a lot!! :clap: :clap:

Bioartist
09-09-2004, 09:23 AM
This is a very beautiful rose, and very well painted. Only comment is that the backgound on the left (looking at the painting) seems a little too flat, and is distracting from the beautiful depth and activity of the rose and the other side (IMO, but you are welcomed to ignore this, especially as I can't paint roses to save myself :rolleyes: ).
Stacey

piper2
09-09-2004, 09:32 AM
Leena,

Roses are HARD and you've pulled this one off really well. The only thing I might say is that the texture of the petals looks cloth-like to me, rather than petal-like. I haven't tried to paint a rose in ages though . . . I know that they're tough.

sassybird
09-09-2004, 03:52 PM
You did a great job of making the petals appear fleshy and soft. I like the dark background with just the light on the rose and some spill over on the leaves. That makes the flower pop right off the canvas. Your shadows on the petals are spot on also. Good job:)

ExpressiveAngie
09-09-2004, 07:04 PM
Lovely :clap:

gnu
09-10-2004, 01:23 AM
woweee this is one GORGEOUS rose!! the texture is wonderful..I love it..
you should do more.. :clap: :clap:

SummerSun
09-10-2004, 05:04 AM
Thanks for the kind and encouraging comments! I'm definately going to paint more roses in the future, this one was kind of fun (although a bit frustrating at times) to paint. :)

Oh, and Stacey, I think you are right about the background - it is too flat. I know I sort of neglected tha background and concentrated too much on the rose. Next time I'll have to focus on the whole picture more...

Vicki_Oz
09-10-2004, 09:58 AM
Simply beautiful! :clap:

Marty C
09-10-2004, 08:29 PM
Hi Leena,
Fabulous work on your first rose, don't let it be your last! :clap: