PDA

View Full Version : I Dunno- But I Think I Like It

SweetBabyJ
09-08-2004, 05:40 PM
So I was doing a maple tree study- studiously applying what I know of trees to what I'm learning about trees-in-landscape, and before I knew it- this is what I had... I dunno exactly *what* it is, but I kinda like it- it's different than my usual "real-real-real", but at the same time, absolutely accurate to the feeling.

*shrug*

Don't classify me yet, Folks....

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Sep-2004/9169-UndressingforWinterul.jpg

K Taylor-Green
09-08-2004, 07:25 PM
Guess I'm going to have to fall back on "love the colors and comp", yada, yada, yada. Because, again, I don't see anything wrong with it, and I feel as though I am supposed to. It's not your usual "Julie", but it works really well, and looks realistic to me!

SweetBabyJ
09-08-2004, 07:53 PM
lol- it isn't that it's wrong, Kate, it's that it's almost neo-contemporary- not an abstract, but definately not a perspective you usually see. Different- but I think I kinda like it... for what it is, anyway....

Paula Ford
09-08-2004, 08:03 PM
LOVE the big maple tree Julie!! It's fabulous!!

Paula

binkie
09-08-2004, 08:06 PM
Very nice, as are all of your paintings.

gwen

K Taylor-Green
09-08-2004, 08:56 PM
Well good, cause I really like it.

prestonsega
09-09-2004, 03:26 AM
As I opened the thread and saw the beautifully painted orange foilage against the autumnal blue sky I was so much in awe,,,but as I scrolled down the magic left me. This is almost a formal, symetrical composition. In the distant you have a skinny tree on either side of the large maple. The green trees seem to be almost an after thought....flat if you would.

Once again,,the upper half of the picture plane is exceptionally well rendered!

Natalie NZ
09-09-2004, 06:55 AM
I really like it too, Gorgeous colours and I love the late afternoon? sun rays peeping through. :clap: :clap:

Grasshopper
09-09-2004, 08:24 AM
I feel exactly the way Preston did in describing the upper portion.

What colors did you use for the upper? What color support?

khourianya
09-09-2004, 10:00 AM
Excuse me...did I just read you saying that you liked a landscape of yours? You could knock me over with a feather at this particular moment! lol :D

I think you may have finally discovered your "landscape style". This is beautiful and, while different from your really detailed work, it is realistic enough to tell what it is without getting trapped in making every detail etched right out on paper. Bravo!

SweetBabyJ
09-09-2004, 11:31 AM
As I opened the thread and saw the beautifully painted orange foilage against the autumnal blue sky I was so much in awe,,,but as I scrolled down the magic left me. This is almost a formal, symetrical composition. In the distant you have a skinny tree on either side of the large maple. The green trees seem to be almost an after thought....flat if you would.

Once again,,the upper half of the picture plane is exceptionally well rendered!
Eureka! That's it! Not neo-contemporary, but neo-Classical! Exactly- balanced and symmetrical like the Old Masters with their columns and saints shot full of arrows yet standing upright and engaging with others... that's what I studied in painting first, you know? "How'd they do that?" Guess it stuck.

The bottom trees were not an afterthought, but deliberately left vague because of the detail in the maple- the shot actually came from an old cemetary (which is why the trees appear so regimented- they are!) I left out the tombs and gravestones so's, again, not to detract. I liked the low pov, though, and the near-back-lighting of the trees on the left. The light was there, but not the sun like that- but it looked like it *should* be there, so I added it.

Colours- shooot- lemme think. Old piece of washed Wallis, so a mix of shades and "mud", four blues from medium to near white, the leaves are a burnt sienna, a rust, a lighter rust, ochre, two medium greens one "pure" the other leaning to orange- and then "sunshine white" and "sunshine green" (I dunno what they're called- they're very light yellow and green)

Cleaned up a few problem areas, shifts of hues and such, and strengthened the "symmetrical" composition some. While it isn't something I want to do, again, I think it's kinda nifty, I like the balance and the flow, but lemme tell you- trees like that take a long, long time to paint....

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Sep-2004/9169-UndressingforWinterul.jpg

Dark_Shades
09-09-2004, 06:42 PM
Beejeebers!!! :eek: whose impesonating SBJ lol .....

well I dunno, I think I like it too :)

its lovely SBJ ...... get a real sense of the sunshine and looking up at the tree, its glorious...... you really are getting there..... well done :clap:

... now I gotta be really honest here ok? ...... I now its only a personal opinion, but Im not so keen on that green tree on our right.... to me, you've worked that in your usual mode 'landscape' mode (I hate Landscapes)..... I think you lost interest on that one..... Id like to see you work that part again..... deep breath....

it all will be stunning........ trust me :wink2: :clap:

prestonsega
09-09-2004, 06:51 PM
Im not so keen on that green tree on our right.... to me, you've worked that in your usual mode 'landscape' mode (I hate Landscapes)..... I think you lost interest on that one..... Id like to see you work that part again....

Sorry F.G....but I agree with Dawn on this one. :wink2:

Meldy
09-09-2004, 06:52 PM
I like this one. Has a fantasy element to it. I don't know why you don't like your landscapes.

Kathryn Wilson
09-09-2004, 07:19 PM
This I like!!! Except Dawn is right - lose that green tree. I like the orange leaves against that deep blue, and the branches of the tree on the right are as fine as lace, and I like how you faded the trees in the background.

:clap:

Pinecone Conniff
09-09-2004, 07:20 PM
I think this piece has an illustrative look to it...and this is a compliment! Some of my favorite artists were illustrators!! :)
Your use of color is dynamic! You know...you almost could get rid of the pine tree on the right...Any thoughts on that?? :confused:
Annette

SweetBabyJ
09-09-2004, 08:18 PM
I'll hafta take it into psp and play a bit and see, but I think that's be way too much "weight" on the left. I'll check in a bit- Thanks for the idea.