PDA

View Full Version : Yellow bikini

Natalie NZ
09-08-2004, 05:17 PM
Hi there everyone, :wave:

This is my latest effort and I would welcome some c and c :D
Does it look finished, I never seen to know .

khourianya
09-08-2004, 09:48 PM
This is cute. I think you have done an excellent job on those reflections in the sand. The beach actually looks wet and that is awesome. I think she looks good, but he is coming across a bit disjointed to me. Might just be my eyes, but thought I'd let you know.

As for if it's done? Does it feel done to you?

K Taylor-Green
09-09-2004, 04:01 AM
Yeah, there is something a little off about the guy. His torso seems too long for his legs, not much, just a little. The rest is very good.

prestonsega
09-09-2004, 04:18 AM
My first impression was that there was so much negative space that seemed to take away from the subjects, being the guy and gal dealing with a boat in the waves. I have a reputation for liking tight crops so I hope you don't mind my showing something that might make your composition work better.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Sep-2004/29946-WCSize.JPG

Natalie NZ
09-09-2004, 06:27 AM
Thanks very much for your responses - as I am very inexperienced it is very helpful to have your opinions.This is done out of my head so I had nothing to refer to.
khourianya Thanks for your remarks :) , re (he is coming across a bit disjointed) I am meaning him to reach out to her, so I got my hubby to pose like that, perhaps it didn't come off right.
Thanks Kate - the water gets deep quite quickly :D :wink2: :D
Prestonsega, thanks for that opinion, my husband had thought the same thing. :cat:

I am finding WetCanvas a great learning experience - love it :clap:

pjo
09-09-2004, 08:04 AM
Hi, I like the crop preston suggested on this, it has a more intimate feel. I'm not the one to comment on people or seascapes, but I do have a question or possible suggestion. I can see a reflection of the girls legs, but wouldn't the man and the boat have one too? Again, please take this with a grain of salt and I don't usually paint seascapes or people, so I could be way off base. I'm looking forward to seeing what you decide on this one. I like the texture of the water, especially where the water meets the beach, I think that area is especially well done.

Dark_Shades
09-09-2004, 12:45 PM
I think you have done a wonderful job on all the subjects...and especially all from your head.... .... the sand is wonderful and indeed looks wet.... well done.... one thing bothered me, cant quite put my finger on it, but Im wondering if its relevant size issue... the man is fairly big already, and imagining him coming forward level with her.... then I look at the size of the boat.... and think that perhaps is too small.... just my thoughts, thinking out loud.....

prestonsega
09-09-2004, 07:16 PM
Now I know why this painting has such an interesting appeal. You have used all 3 primary colors in an almost pure state...yellow bikini, man's blue suit, and red boat...then the green shirt, lavender sand, and orange in the skin tones give the secondary colors,,,,push those colors particularly the sand and skin tones and brighten up this neat beauty!!!!

(from your head???? that 's almost magic to me!) ;)

Natalie NZ
09-09-2004, 10:06 PM
Thanks to all you kind folks for your replies. :cat: :music: :cat:

Hi pjo - I didn't know about the reflections for the boat and man but thought that seeing they were further away they wouldn't reflect.

Thanks for your encouraging comments again Dark Shades and I must say I had the same thoughts about the size of the boat and have already enlarged it once but perhaps it was not enough.

Preston although this is my first painting out of my head I have been doing some practice in my sketchbook and am pleasantly surprised at the outcome. I will try and push? those colours as you suggested.