PDA

View Full Version : Emerald Necklace

double S
09-08-2004, 04:14 PM
sort of long story...
Many (10-12?) years ago my husband bought me a stand of tumbled emeralds. We are both May babies. I splurged and bought some 18 kt gold spacer beads and made a necklace. It wasn't that great and over the years I remade the necklace several times. For the last 4 years the emeralds have been sitting gathering dust with my jewelery supplies.
fast foward to the present...
I bought a couple of rods of moretti green opal glass at the Austin bead show this weekend. Always wanted to try it and made a set (see Trinket Box in todays S&T) but what I really liked was the way the glass looked before going into the kiln. So I made a set of beads, and didn't put them in the kiln, just let them slowly cool in the blanket. Not being as gutsy as Corina I kept them for myself instead of ebaying them. When I looked in my supply box for what to combine with the green opal beads my long neglicted emeralds jumped out they are the perfect color. So throw in some thai silver and viola one great emerald necklace :D
Lisa

dockhl
09-08-2004, 05:06 PM
Beautiful !

Kathy

GardensOnGlass
09-08-2004, 05:09 PM
Lovely!

CosmicGW
09-08-2004, 05:16 PM
WOW - absolutely stunning!!

Red*Dog*Designs
09-08-2004, 07:01 PM
A match made in heaven, what a beautiful necklace !

rosiescreations
09-08-2004, 07:19 PM
Wonderful!
A Beautiful necklace.

Virginia L.
09-08-2004, 11:13 PM
WOW

saucy
09-09-2004, 02:58 AM
I hope I get to see that stunner in person. Wow!

jbriz
09-09-2004, 06:37 AM
Those are positively gorgeous! What a cool story, too!

Nette
09-09-2004, 07:01 AM
I love it! Gorgeous! Thanks for sharing.
Annette :clap: :clap: :clap:

Becky Mason
09-10-2004, 10:48 AM
Lisa,

Your necklace is gorgeous! :clap: If the Moretti color that you used for your beads is O-516 (Opalino Nile Green), which it looks like it is, I have good news for you. That color can be kiln annealed without changing color like the Carnelian. Also, unlike most of the other Opalino colors, the Nile Green doesn't scorch and bubble, which you probably discovered when making your beads.

Maureen McRorie of FlameTree Glass makes some incredible sculptural beads that look like carved jade from this color. It is quite a bit stiffer than most of the other Moretti colors, which makes it good for doing sculptural work.

Becky

double S
09-10-2004, 11:37 AM
Lisa,

Your necklace is gorgeous! :clap: If the Moretti color that you used for your beads is O-516 (Opalino Nile Green), which it looks like it is, I have good news for you. That color can be kiln annealed without changing color like the Carnelian. Also, unlike most of the other Opalino colors, the Nile Green doesn't scorch and bubble, which you probably discovered when making your beads.

Maureen McRorie of FlameTree Glass makes some incredible sculptural beads that look like carved jade from this color. It is quite a bit stiffer than most of the other Moretti colors, which makes it good for doing sculptural work.

Becky
Thanks Becky: I did use the nile green but also a lighter green Opalino, that one did scorch a bit and change in the kiln. I plan to get more rods and play some more :D
Lisa

SPIglass
09-10-2004, 12:40 PM
Wow! That necklace is absolutely stunning, Lisa! Wonderful job!

Paulette

AlaskaBarb
09-11-2004, 03:58 AM
Pretty necklace! Love that color.

But, I don't understand what you guys mean by 'scorch.' I anneal all my opalino and alabastros and I haven't noticed any change at all.

Barb

double S
09-11-2004, 09:09 AM
Pretty necklace! Love that color.

But, I don't understand what you guys mean by 'scorch.' I anneal all my opalino and alabastros and I haven't noticed any change at all.

Barb
The scorching comes when I am making the bead on my HH not when it is being annealed. Brown lines appear because the glass gets too hot.
lisa