PDA

View Full Version : Looking for the perfect palette

SummerSun
09-08-2004, 04:59 AM
I was wondering if anyone could help me find a palette like this (http://www.shoptheartstore.com/product_detail_multiple.cfm?groupID=146C726D-29D6-453B-BD1001AC3FD3432E&shownav=0# ) or something similar - in other words a palette with sealed cups that can be removed and changed if necessary.

Now obviously I've already found the palette I'm looking for but the problem is I need to find a similar palette in Europe, because it would be too expensive to order it from the US. I've already checked art supplies stores in my area, and lots of European online shops, but I haven't been able to find one.

Also, I haven't been able to find a website for the company that makes these palettes - if anyone can help me with this I'd be very greatful :).

DeusExMachina
09-08-2004, 06:47 AM
I'm sorry I can't help you, but I was wondering: what's so terrible about ordering it in the US? So maybe they charge 6 dollars shipping costs... If you really want it, just buy it.

SummerSun
09-08-2004, 08:39 AM
It's not just the shipping costs - they propably aren't that much. It's the taxes...If I order stuff inside European Union, I don't need to worry about the taxes - but if I order from the US, I have to pay the taxes (at least 22% of the value) once the package has arrived - and I also have to go to the customs to pick it up. So it would be so much easier to order things from Europe...But if I can't find the palette here, I guess I have no other choice but to order from the US.

Mike Finn
09-08-2004, 08:16 PM
Hello Leena..

I use that palette.... well actually the palette itself is pretty useless for acrylics, but the small containers are brilliant. I have 24 of them and just mix up all my colours in them with a small palette knife. So just get the spare pots, 12 to a pack, and a ceramic palette for making odd mixes etc. The spare pots cost only a couple of dollars so taxes etc will be minimal.

Mike Finn

Smileawhyl
09-08-2004, 08:54 PM
I actually have this. I bought it from Utrecht. I can't imagine they wouldn't have it in the EU. It actually came in handy when I was interrupted in the middle of a portrait. The sealed cups are still protecting my premixed colors. Good to see you again. :wave:

SummerSun
09-09-2004, 05:51 AM
Thanks for the tips! I know the little cups are the part of the palette I really want, so maybe I should just order them and forget about the palette. The cups would really be useful to me, since I often get interrupted while painting, and when I get back to work I realize that my paints are all dry, and I have to start all over again...

I'm sure that these palettes are available somewhere in the EU, but they just seem to be really hard to find. I wish we had something like Dick Blick's here - in Finland all the art supplies stores are so small, that it's impossible to find everything at the same place, and if you try finding something other than paint or brushes, the answer is almost every time "Sorry, we don't have that"... I guess I have to keep looking...:)

ThomasStraten
09-09-2004, 10:02 AM
I would suggest the Staywet palette....
And any little plastic small boxes with top you can find in food stores will do for the rest.

Tom

SummerSun
09-09-2004, 10:42 AM
I would suggest the Staywet palette....
And any little plastic small boxes with top you can find in food stores will do for the rest.

Tom

The art supplies store nearest to where I live didn't have the Staywet palettes - and I've checked all the stores that sell plastic cups and stuff like that - with no luck. The only suitable cups that I've found were those brought to me by my mother, who works in a hospital - they are sample containers. Unfortunately, I can't buy them either, because they are only sold to hospitals and laboratories.:(

Smileawhyl
09-09-2004, 10:58 AM
Film canisters work just as well. I don't know if you can buy them individually, but any avid photographer should have lots of these, or at least know where you could get them.

Carrie
09-09-2004, 11:53 AM
Try a sporting goods store. I have seen little see-thru jars with screw on lids the fisherman put tackle and fishing flyes in. They will even go together in staccks. Couldn't find a pic but I found the divided boxes which one of the art instructors uses .

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Sep-2004/9458-hunting-fishing-inc_1804_265982.jpg

Carrie

sassybird
09-09-2004, 03:18 PM
I don't have the pallette, but I have a bunch of little tiny tupperware cups that I use. I would suggest having someone you know here on WC! or someone else here in the states to buy it for you and send it with the proverbial Unsolicited Gift written on it. I have done this for a lot of people in the past. They PayPal me the money, and I buy what they want and ship it to them.

MsLilypond
09-10-2004, 01:59 PM
I have a better idea for you, baby food jars. I don't know if you have daycare centers in finland or nurseries at a local church or know someone with a baby, but most of the times the jars are just thrown out. I'm sure you could get them for free if you just ask around. Just make sure you specify you need caps too!

gini/art
09-10-2004, 03:06 PM
If you have craft stores, or beading stores. They do sell small round containers with lids to hold the different beads for jewlery making. Maybe you could find those. The baby food jar is great too. Good Luck Gin :wave:

Einion
09-11-2004, 11:12 AM
I was going to suggest film canisters too if you can get enough of them; I've used them for years to hold custom mixes for extended periods or to decant the contents of a tube if it tore or was punctured. The seal on these is often good enough that paint will keep literally for years without deteriorating.

Small jars will work as well but you have to have ones with a good seal if you want the paint not to dry out; baby-food jars as Lilypond suggests tend to seal very well in addition to being a handy size.

Einion

frodron
09-26-2004, 03:52 PM
If you do go for film canisters, may I suggest the transparent ones, so that you can check what colour paint they contain. I got mine from a film developing shop, They were happy to get rid of them. One other thing, if you get a suitably sized piece of wood about 25 m/m thick you can drill holes in it to hold the canisters upright. Voila! your new acrylic palette