PDA

View Full Version : Blue Boat (wip)

Paula Ford
09-07-2004, 10:40 PM
Hello All,
This is a painting I started last night at home and then worked on it in class tonight. I did the boat and the water and the whole right side of the painting. My teacher did a small portion of the left side and a bit of the background. It's not done yet, just a bit more to go.

Sometimes, I feel like I'm nothing without my teacher because when I'm at home, my style is so different then when I'm in class. Does anyone else experience this? Just compare this one to the two I did a few days ago called "Summer's End" and "Solitude." Actually, all three have different styles and are strikingly different. :confused: :confused: :confused:

Wallis paper 12" x 18", soft pastels.

C&C please.
Thanks Paula

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Sep-2004/1978-blueboatforwc.jpg

khourianya
09-07-2004, 10:42 PM
Wow! This is beautiful. Right now, I find the rich blue of the inside of the boat to be a tad overpowering, but I imagine that that is still going to get some attention...

I can't wait to see this one finished! :clap:

Paula Ford
09-07-2004, 11:02 PM
Thanks Cori!!

Now that I see it here, you're right. I need to tone it down a bit. Also, the shadow in the water is totally incorrect. There shouldn't even be a shadow there because the sun is in the upper left.

Will fix and post in a couple of days.

Thanks again!!
Paula

Khadres
09-07-2004, 11:53 PM
Really nice scraggly stuff! I'm a sucker for scraggly stuff! This will be a sure winner!

Ooops, almost forgot to say about the style...actually, they're quite similar in a lot of ways...I just think when your teacher gives input, the paintings are just a tad less "tidy"....not necessarily a bad thing at all....just different. I wouldn't worry about it; style is something you grow in spite of yourself and yours is just fine.

prestonsega
09-08-2004, 12:13 AM
"My teacher did a small portion of the left side and a bit of the background."

Does this not bother you? I've taken classes before and never have I had this occur. Yes, I have seen teachers demonstrate for me on a seperate support with my pigments and verbally guiding each of my strokes of color.......If it doesn't bother you, then forgive me, but I couldn't feel that the painting was "mine".

As far as this work goes,,,,I think it holds its own as finished as is. Quite nice!!!!

Stoy Jones
09-08-2004, 12:29 AM
Hi Paula, :wave: Your work is looking great as expected! The work on the grass and the texture you are getting there looks very convincing. I think getting instruction in class and working at home is quite different and can seem different...I experience that a lot too. I suppose once you get past that, you will find your own work habits and patterns as well as a style. Keep up the beautiful work! It seems you have learned a lot and come a long way!

Stoy

emmachester
09-08-2004, 12:38 AM
Paula,

You are on a roll--I see a new picture from you almost every day! Of all the recent ones, this one might be my favorite. It's simple, but eye-catching. You're absolutely a master at capturing light and I try to learn a little from each of your paintings. Thanks for sharing.

Sherry

Paula Ford
09-08-2004, 02:49 PM
Sooz, thanks! So glad you are here. You are so wise and you always make me feel better.

Preston, no, I don't mind. Both of the teachers I've ever had have sat down and worked on my painting. I learn a great deal when seeing their strokes on my painting and then I can imitate those strokes. Besides, my teacher is a man of little words so observing him working is how he teaches.
Thank you!! Just a tweek here and there and it will be done.

Hi Stoy! :wave: Thank you!! Hmmm, that gives me an idea for starting a new thread for the people who take lessons to post a painting from class and also post a painting they did at home and see how many have different styles.

Sherry, Thank you!! I've been on vacation for the last couple of weeks. My turnout will be much slower now that I'm back to work :D

Thanks everybody!!

Paula

Dark_Shades
09-08-2004, 04:39 PM
lol, I thought this was your other boat one :) and loved that..... your landscapes are always wonderful .... so was really pleasantly surprised to find another ...... what an ABSOLUTE BEAUTY...... stunning !!!! love it :clap: :clap: :clap: ...... but must confess Im confused too ..... how much your style changed within a couple of days :confused: ... and dont recognise it as being yours :eek: :)
.... hmmmm if this were me, I'd get annoyed lol with a teacher who kept painting on my work :p .... and really feel from your comments, that your teacher by doing this undermining your confidence.... but who am I say, if you are happy working this way...... still I have to ask though, lol, couldnt he show you marks and strokes on a seperate piece of paper?...... and that way you could take it home and study it at your leisure.
I dont know how you can not feel any confidence when producing gorgeous work like this :) ..... will look to see how this finishes as interested in the central light background

Gorgeous work Paula...... be proud...... and confidant

Paula Ford
09-08-2004, 07:02 PM
Paula,

... You're absolutely a master at capturing light and I try to learn a little from each of your paintings...

Sherry

Sherry, I wanted to mention that Tom Christopher was the one who taught me about capturing light!! Thank you so much for your sweet comments!!

Dawn, Thank you so much!! When in class, I try to do what my teacher is doing so my style really hasn't changed, but I seem to have one style when at home, and one style during class. Also, depending on the type of photo I'm working with, that also determines what style I'll use.

BTW, I often tell my teacher "You touch that and you'll get hit!!" (and I've smacked him a couple of times because his hand starts getting close to the spot and I get nervous :evil: ) There are limits I set with him and he listens to me. :D LOL

LOL, this really has me thinking!!

Paula

Pinecone Conniff
09-08-2004, 07:58 PM
It seems to me that your painting style in class is a bit "looser" and painterly...I like it very much!! :) BUT I don't think your teacher should touch your paintings anymore :( ...you are advancing in your skill & developing your own style...let him show you on another piece of paper!
Annette

Dark_Shades
09-09-2004, 12:49 PM
BTW, I often tell my teacher "You touch that and you'll get hit!!" (and I've smacked him a couple of times because his hand starts getting close to the spot and I get nervous :evil: ) There are limits I set with him and he listens to me. :D LOL

LOL, this really has me thinking!!

Paula
ha ha ha..... good for you ........ lol, and if that fails, tell him I'll smack him :evil: ... ha ha ha, Im so mean sometimes, I scare myself :eek: :D

prestonsega
09-09-2004, 06:20 PM
OR,,,you could threaten him with a creative harrassment law suit!!! That would get his attention :evil:

Dyin
09-09-2004, 11:42 PM
Paula, I like all of your work. And you're still growing and stretching and trying different things...it will all gell. I think your teacher is like my husband when I was learning to be my own mechanic on my own harley. He's good and wants you to get it right. It's good that he'll show you, I hate teachers that say do it yourself...I could go home, save my money and do that! I'm willing to work but like good guidance. But there does come a day when you do have to say...ok, I'm a fledgling now and I gotta fly...so sit there and chew your fingernails cuz I'm gonna! :D I think you're a strong-minded enough person to know when that time has come and not use it as a crutch.

Mikki Petersen
09-10-2004, 12:15 AM
i love this piece, Paula, and think about it being quite close to finished. I agree there is something distracting about the inside shadow on the boat but haven't a clue what to do differently. Maybe gray it down a bit? Otherwise, I see a completely satisfying painting here.

Having just taken my first classes in the last two weeks, I find that I cannot concentrate very well in class which is probably a matter of experience. My "style" seems to change from painting to painting, especially when I am learning new things, so that could well be a natural phenomenom. I know there is a natural tendency for students to want to please the teacher...a transference from the parent/child relationship. That could explain the different styles in class and away, too. As for marking on your painting, Each of the instructors I've had classes with has worked on one or another student's painting, but never without asking permission first. I, for one, would welcome an instructor showing me right on my work how to make it better. I saw Deborah, today, with permission from the student, just make a few quick strokes that brought a flat painting to life. Great learning!