PDA

View Full Version : Opinions wanted on "findings" business

Cat66
09-07-2004, 08:40 PM
Would like opinions on "findings" business

Hi - I was asked to add this thread to the Wearable Arts Forum. I'd be interested in any feedback you have. Thank you.

This isn't meant as a solicitation thread. And, in fact, none of my links below will take anyone to any threads selling what I'm going to ask about - because I'm not selling anything right now. I was really surprised at how quickly my Greek leather cords sold in the Swap Shop - amazed actually. And I was only doing a little housecleaning from some samples I had out this past Spring. I've been a metalsmith for years and have been making my own findings to go with my jewelry that I sell. Making lampwork beads is more of a hobby for me, and I don't sell any of the beads as finished jewelry.

However, I have many interesting and unique findings that I've made myself over the years. I'm seriously considering joining WC as an Industry Partner where I would advertise and sell those findings as a separate business from my lampwork (which I really want to keep as a hobby). But before I send in a request to join as an Industry Partner, I'd first really like to hear from you guys on what kind of interest you have in unique findings. Do you use findings or just sell the beads as unfinished jewelry.

If there's a big enough interest in findings, such as cords, bracelets, etc. I think I would like to advertise with WC. But like I said, I'd really like to hear from you guys first on whether or not there would be a demand and interest for this.

Thank you.

Catherine

GardensOnGlass
09-08-2004, 09:06 AM
Catherine, I, personally, am always on the lookout for unique and different findings. I'd say go for it!

Kerensamere
09-08-2004, 11:51 AM
I'm not a bead maker, but I am a jewelry artist. I have not tried silver smithing, casting or anything of that sort, so I am constantly on the lookout for unique, quality findings that are affordable.

I think that the last term "affordable" becomes the big issue for me. I've found incredible clasps that I would love to include in my work but if they cost too much my finished price has to go up too.

At this point in my career I'm not sure that my customers are ready to pay that kind of price for my work. For example I might charge $80-$100 for one of my larger necklaces, if I'm paying $10-$20 for a cool clasp then my finished price is going to go up by that much or more. I'm just not sure if people would pay that much!

Perhaps in the future as I become more confident in my work it would make sense to invest in higher quality, hand crafted findings and up my prices. Better yet, maybe if I found a finding that I just had to incorporate into my work because it was "just right" then I'd have the courage to pay the price and ask for the appropraite price too!

I encourage you to continue to do your research and keep us posted on your progress. I went to your web-link, beautiful work. I'm not sure what you are considering offering as findings though, what I saw was completed work.

-Jen

Cat66
09-08-2004, 12:48 PM
Thanks for the feedback, Jen. No, my website is my finished work that I sell. The findings is something I'm considering starting up on the side and wanted feedback.

Thanks.

McDuck
09-08-2004, 02:42 PM
Definately your work in beautiful.

As for a findings biz. If youwant to sell them wholesale, you have to remember markup is 2-3x cost. Even for jewelry. It is important that you make the money you need to replace what you have used, profit and to grow. that said, the hardest part will be pricing. Will they sell? If they are half as nice as your work, yes they will sell. I wish you all the good luck if you decide to venture this route. And sure I would buy a few too. :wink2:

Mary

Mary Riggs
09-08-2004, 07:50 PM
Yes, in answer to your question. I am a jewelry designer but not a bead maker or metal smith, so I am always looking for unique findings. If your prices could have a tiered structure, say retail, wholesale, etc., you may a lot of success specializing in selling findings. Yes, I would definitely be interested in purchasing your findings if they fit in with my need to buy at wholesale prices, or REAL NEAR it!

DonnaBee
10-03-2004, 01:03 PM
Congratulations Catherine! I believe you have done it!

I cannot wait to try out this ring:

www.maxandmebeads.com

The thing I especially like about it, is that the ring part is not real wide. I have fat fingers, and the rings that are most flattering on me, and comfortable, are the ones like this that have a more narrow band (4-5mm or less). (Although these would of course be absolutely lovely on thin fingers as well!)

I already have several beads that I want to try on this. I have some early Meesh Goldstein beads that I think will be perfect. They are small, highly detailed lovely beads. I am so thrilled that soon I can wear them as a ring!!!!!!!

Godspeed to you Cat, I have so much enjoyed creating with your findings over the last couple weeks. :)

Cat66
10-03-2004, 02:13 PM
Donna - Your a sweetheart - thank you so much for all your compliments! I'm glad you are enjoying these.

When I designed this, I figured most people like the small ring bands, so I started by introducing that one. I have another large band ring almost ready to go and I also have some with etched silver, as well as another one that's going to be a fun surprise.

Enjoy!!! :)

Catherine

SuzyQ
10-03-2004, 04:30 PM
I have a real need for interesting finding for lampwork. I have the usual but like the max and ? beadcaps, I could really use findings made to deal with the size and weight of lampwork. I'm willing to pay more for something that can make my work stand out in the crowd. Especially at shows! Everybody has bali flower spacers. Please, do it!

Too funny!!! I just noticed Donna's post. Aren't you glad I liked you before I knew it was you asking? LOL

Cat66
10-03-2004, 04:31 PM
Suzy - I already did it! And I added an awesome Satellite Ring finding this morning. Check it out - the link is below in my sig. :)

Catherine

SuzyQ
10-03-2004, 04:34 PM
That is cool! I ordered some bead caps and head pins yesterday. I'll keep checking on you and feel free to keep us posted about new stuff. Do you have a newletter yet?

Cat66
10-03-2004, 04:35 PM
Mary - my prices are wholesale. 10 of my headpins weigh almost an ounce of silver (these are not your average flimsy 22 gauge headpins - they are heavy duty puppies) - which is priced around $10 right now - so I think, taking that into consideration, you will see that the prices are pretty well wholesale. :)

Bangs
10-03-2004, 07:15 PM
Wow, Catherine, I'm really impressed. I love the bead caps, but the ring is a real knockout. Wowzers!